lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Next time if u sending money don?t used friend or family it?s not protected. Use it as regular PayPal which the sender has protection on fraud or even a defective item u can get a fullfull full refund, unlike family & friend which means u know the person or receiver... everyday we learn on reef thanks

lesson learnt hard way, next time i will run lots of intelligence before thinking of doing paypal. I have always been a cash and carry type of person :) first time i do this paypal thing and probably the last :)

ixTCxi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
If seller ask me to pay as friends and family I just cover the fee myself. Is just 3% of the total value and it will give you the peace of mind.

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I know but like i said i used my brother's paypal and i was looking for those ai nano badly to go with my light. So i just yielded to whatever he wanted (silly i know). never mind...hope he/she enjoys the stolen money!!!!

njgl_torres

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
lesson learnt hard way, next time i will run lots of intelligence before thinking of doing paypal. I have always been a cash and carry type of person :) first time i do this paypal thing and probably the last :)

Hi

Not all in MR do that scam, their a lot in MR that u can trust.. check their feedback ...

Thanks

We learn on our mistake, that make us strong...

Water Dog

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
When you pay with PayPal ?goods & services? you have complete buyer protection through PayPal from fraudulent sellers. When you pay through PayPal gift ?friends & family? unfortunately you forgo that protection in most cases.

When buying on forums, I ALWAYS pay through ?goods & services?. If the seller makes a stink about the 3.5% fee that they get charged, I?ll add it on top of the agreed upon sale price for my own peace of mind and reassurance of buyer protection.

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I talked with PayPal the other day. You can lose your money paying with goods and service if the seller removes the money from PayPal and puts it in his or her bank account. You need to get a invoice for protection. I had no idea until I called

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
As reefers we can afford fishes, corals etc but we are always hesitate to pay 3% paypal fee, it is loose change when it comes to fee and you know you are covered and seller has to provide tracking number to paypal, if they don't provide tracking number in reasonable time then it is flag on paypal side and they put hold and funds are not available to seller, I always insist on paying paypal fee which I think of it as I am buying insurance for 3% of the cost... I have noticed there are few members selling led fixtures who are registered in Oct 2018 on MR, this is flag to me and I will be careful not to send money that I can not trace back. JMO

Pagodazoa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
As reefers we can afford fishes, corals etc but we are always hesitate to pay 3% paypal fee, it is loose change when it comes to fee and you know you are covered and seller has to provide tracking number to paypal, if they don't provide tracking number in reasonable time then it is flag on paypal side and they put hold and funds are not available to seller, I always insist on paying paypal fee which I think of it as I am buying insurance for 3% of the cost... I have noticed there are few members selling led fixtures who are registered in Oct 2018 on MR, this is flag to me and I will be careful not to send money that I can not trace back. JMO

I agree with paying the 3% to protect your purchase, I have done the family/friends transaction to buy a skimmer from a member and luckily he was a good guy to trust. Granted we all spend excessive money on fish and coral it?s a shame you can?t save a little money by trusting the every seller here and this type of stuff goes on but you?ll see that anywhere you buy. Luckily all you ladies and gents I?ve met were class acts.

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

i get it thanks, but note that he insisted that he wanted payment to be set up as setup as a friend. I was naive but i was honestly acting in good faith, i have been here for sometime and i never doubted anyone really. Some people are low ballers but no scammers you know. So i didn't have the option of that 3% protection, mind you all correspondence was email many many...many messages, and i was getting tired so it was "ok here is the money how you want it and just ship me the item" type of thing
thanks again

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
i get it thanks, but note that he insisted that he wanted payment to be set up as setup as a friend. I was naive but i was honestly acting in good faith, i have been here for sometime and i never doubted anyone really. Some people are low ballers but no scammers you know. So i didn't have the option of that 3% protection, mind you all correspondence was email many many...many messages, and i was getting tired so it was "ok here is the money how you want it and just ship me the item" type of thing
thanks again

I understand, I would walk away from seller who is demanding friends and family. But thank you for sharing this hopefully this will save other buyers from scammers like these..

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
If seller ask me to pay as friends and family I just cover the fee myself. Is just 3% of the total value and it will give you the peace of mind.

+1.....if I don't know the person then I would rather pay the extra 3% and have recourse in the event that something like this should occur. I know it's too late now but it would have been an extra $4.50.... so think of it as an insurance fee.

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
+1.....if I don't know the person then I would rather pay the extra 3% and have recourse in the event that something like this should occur. I know it's too late now but it would have been an extra $4.50.... so think of it as an insurance fee.

Yes i know but in hindsight i dont think he would have agreed ..then i would not have been scammed. You live and learn....:Yikes:

editour2

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Yes i know but in hindsight i dont think he would have agreed ..then i would not have been scammed. You live and learn....:Yikes:

True......we live and learn. Honestly though....if the person was unwilling to have YOU pay the extra money over and above what they were asking for the item then does it make sense?....that is the lesson. (Not that I haven't gotten burned....I recall accepting a certified check 1 time for merchandise....turned out that the person had his own stamp that said certified and was initialed. So I got burned for about $500.... so.....live and learn indeed!!!!).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: