Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Closed Thread

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
Petco should be ban selling saltwater fish!

I went into a Petco today and was so sad to see a beautiful power blue tang and hippo tang and Gramma with ick all over them. Any fish in Petco store is pretty much in death tank. They are a few Petco that might know what they are doing. Chain store that doesn't care about a fish except a dollar. Well, you think they would remove them from public view. Their system set up is a big disgrace. This place shouldn't be allow to sell saltwater fish period. Should be some kind of law for this.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
MR's Greatest Member
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Depends on the petco, some are very good. Unfortunately there are some that should be banned.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Vendor: Vendor - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (35 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
i think its the person who works in the place ... some people dont care they just work there and thats it .... company itself they tried thier best to deal with it but again the worker .

Pelham parkway
Bronx. NY
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
MR's Greatest Member
Send a Private Message
It's more than that, some Petcos are just chains and to even replace a ligh bulb, they first need to have the stores manager go to the district manager, then to the regional manager and so on. Until they get the approval. Then there are the franchise Petcos that can make inhouse decisions and only need to met certain criteria to be a Petco. They get to choose the fish they bring in, corals and lighting. If you notice most of the Petcos with grooming will have corals. Although out of the 5 franchises near me only 2 are above average on par or better than the Lfs.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by piranhapat View Post
Petco should be ban selling saltwater fish!
This place shouldn't be allow to sell saltwater fish period. Should be some kind of law for this.
as stated, it is more an individual store/management/ employee problem than 'corporate wide' ...

If there was a law, it would probably ban many, many more hobbiests, (that don't have a clue) than retail stores!

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1456 View Post
It's more than that, some Petcos are just chains and to even replace a ligh bulb, they first need to have the stores manager go to the district manager, then to the regional manager and so on. Until they get the approval. Then there are the franchise Petcos that can make inhouse decisions and only need to met certain criteria to be a Petco. They get to choose the fish they bring in, corals and lighting. If you notice most of the Petcos with grooming will have corals. Although out of the 5 franchises near me only 2 are above average on par or better than the Lfs.
Not true. All PETCO's are owned and operated by one corporation and there are no independent chain stores. The general manager can approve any maintance to be done in the store including changing of light bulbs. Now if you wanted to change a t8 bulb to t5 or MH then yes you would need dm approval. Like others said it depends on the store and the gm but not all PETCO's are created equal, if conditions are as bad as you say they are you need to contact corporate because they may not be aware of the problem.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM
MR's Greatest Member
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny718 View Post
Not true. All PETCO's are owned and operated by one corporation and there are no independent chain stores. The general manager can approve any maintance to be done in the store including changing of light bulbs. Now if you wanted to change a t8 bulb to t5 or MH then yes you would need dm approval. Like others said it depends on the store and the gm but not all PETCO's are created equal, if conditions are as bad as you say they are you need to contact corporate because they may not be aware of the problem.
Well accordingly to every manager I have spoken to they have franchises, so I would go with what 15 managers have said.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1456 View Post
Well accordingly to every manager I have spoken to they have franchises, so I would go with what 15 managers have said.
I happen to be a manager for Petco so hold on let me ask myself......

Not true
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (67%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
^ rofl
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Reefer Ratings: (75 (100%)
Friends: (102)
Send a Private Message
The Petco in Commack, the saltwater fishes are actually in pretty good shape. The guy in charge does know what he is doing.
Closed Thread