Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Bensonhurst on 71st and 14th and have had a 120 gal mixed reef up for about 6 weeks now. I would really like to meet some local reef people and maybe have someone come check out my set up. I bought some frags and a fish not too long ago and think I might have ich. I got rid of the tang who was noticeable but on a few of my fish I have tiny signs of it still... I think. I'd really appreciate anyone with some experience willing to come check it out.

Here is a pic shortly after setup 6 weeks ago. I have about 10 fish, 6 corals and a bunch of frags now.

http://imgur.com/Qi2bPhu

adroc718

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that sounds like a pretty large bioload for such a new tank, my main advise would be to take it slow. i wouldn't add any new fish.
If your tank does infact have ick, then the only way to treat it would be to move all the fish into a QT and treat with hyposalinity. then leave the main tank fallow for about a month or so
or keep the fish as well fed as possible with a good mix of foods enriched with some garlic to keep immunes systems strong.
Im in bayridge if you need any help just Pm me ill be glad to help

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Salifert test kits and water parameters are very good. All the fish are small, mostly about 3/4"

I have the 2 clownfish in a 29 gallon QT tank right now but I can't catch the other fish. I was planning on doing hyposalinity but honestly I am just not sure if I even have ich anymore. If I do need to treat it I am aware of the treatment process and ready to start it.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If the fish are healthy I would just ride it out and see it is easy to get paranoid but healthy fish should be able to overcome it. If in fact you do have it at least you understand how to treat and can do so.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Since your tank is new here is the best advice you are going to get from anyone.

Empty the tank, catch the fish, put them in QT for 2 months.

Leave the tank runnig without fish, just your rocks and corals for 2 months. Once the two month period is over add any fish that survived the QT period, do not add new fish.

Once you have your QT survivors back in the tank, after 2 months get in the habit of not adding fish at random. Control your impulses and program your fish purchases for when you can actually take care of a QT tank for 4 weeks.

The above is hard to follow but those that do follow it have one less headache to deal with.

SirReefalot

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
+1 on taking the fish out and putting them in QT. It's the only way to do it and will be better for your tank. stay away from any product that says it is reef safe and cures ich, they don't work and make your corals look like crap if not die. Good luck!! wish I was closer I would come give you a hand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: