Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Drygoods Neptune Controller

I thought the APEX was the best (and apparently only) controller out there but after reading reviews on BRS I'm a little skeptical.

I used to have a Reefkeeper lite and while it was nothing fancy I loved it.

Before I dropped $500-$800 I thought I'd see what MR thought.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Mine (Apex classic) has been on for about 7 years now, no issues. I just hate the design of the new ones.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:07 AM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I never heard anything negative about them until i started reading reviews.

How are the probes? Reliable?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 AM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
The only probe I have something against is the conductivity one. They need to be calibrated every other month, and die after a couple of years. So that's easy: don't buy the PM2 module.

After that, the only other probe I changed was a pH one, replaced it with a dual junction from BRS.

I should be more detailed about the equipment I have:

- Apex classic: no problems, programming it is not bad at all (well I am also a software guy so that does help)
- 2 EB8 power bars: no issues
- pH probe: just replaced the standard one by a better BRS one after 2 years or so, since then no issues
- ORP probe: just working
- Temperature probes: no issues
- Leak detection: works really well
- Screen: the cord could be thicker, that thing is ridiculously thin and I can see the copper exposed.
- 1-10V control: easy to use when I needed it
- PAR meter: works well, but I chose to not let it inside the tank as it was getting covered in algae and coraline, which defeats the purpose of continuous monitoring
- PM2 (conductivity): don't buy that one, too shaky and useless
- DOS: a really good product, way more precise than my DIY doser with periscaltic pumps
- WXM control for Ecotech products: works really nicely

Last edited by Geraud; 08-24-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
everyone has there own opinion ive had the apex since the very first one it was complicated when i got it but customer support was great i have the new one and its been great no problems at all