Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM
reef obsessed
Reefer Ratings: (55 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Cleaning Aquarium With Bleach

Hey, does anyone know of any risk with filling aquarium with water and bleach mixture for a couple of days? Would that cause damage to the silicone?
Old 08-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Reefer Ratings: (58 (98%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
I’ve done it

Use a 10/1 mixture. Make sure u let the tank dry after u rinse it thoroughly. If possible let it dry totally in the sun
Old 08-29-2019, 03:09 PM
reef obsessed
Send a Private Message
Thanks! I was concerned about whether the seals could be compromised by bleach.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Reefer Ratings: (9 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Don't listen to him!! Use vinegar Its much better then bleach.. bleach will bind to plastic which bind to silicone
Old 08-31-2019, 08:24 AM
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Yes, I believe vinegar solutions are the usual method for dealing with calcium deposits and cleaning tanks/equipment in general. The 10% bleach solution is for sterilizing and killing diseases, parasites, algae spores, etc, when starting a new tank using old materials, usually limited to the dry rocks. I would not have thought of using bleach solution on glass/sealant itself, but if you feel you have a particular problem with something like bryopsis, that you feel is recontaminating your tank. the bleach solution is an option. I'd do a wipe down rather than a fill and wait approach.

Last edited by homegrowncichlid; 08-31-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Old 08-31-2019, 03:09 PM
Send a Private Message
What he asked

I answered what he asked. Vinegar is good for certain applications. (Breakdown calcium deposits, cleaning pumps) but he can absolutely use diluted bleach to clean at tank and not damage the silicone as I have done it numerous times. It’s great for killing algae or sterilization. After he’s done I said rinse it out well and leave it in the sun to dry. Sunlight kills the chlorine in the bleach. But he’s not obligated to follow what I said.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 PM
reef obsessed
Send a Private Message
Thanks for the responses guys. I thought about using bleach due to having been overrun with bubble algae, wanted to make sure to kill any spores. I actually left the tank circulating with water/bleach mixture for about 5 days while I was away. I’m currently rinsing with fresh water. I won’t be able to take the tank outside in the sun. The bleach smell was all gone though. I’ll rinse a few times then air dry. The seams still looked good.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:46 PM
reef obsessed
Send a Private Message
While breaking down there were a couple of days when it would have been easy to just get out. However, I’m already looking forward to rebuilding. It’s great to have a mature tank, but starting up is also exciting.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Send a Private Message
Just to confirm NL your seams are fine right?
Old 09-02-2019, 06:20 PM
reef obsessed
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRIPERVIPER View Post
Just to confirm NL your seams are fine right?

They seem fine. I’ve filled the tank twice since and haven’t seen any deterioration.