devoinbk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey folks, I?ve got out of control pulsing Xenia. I?ve let this thing get out of control on a perfect flat rock in a prime location in my DT. I would just remove the rock but I have a huge beautiful (believe it or not) Nephthea attached all over it. Don?t want to loose it. I also don?t want to spread Xenia anymore that it already has. I?m plucking daily. Biggest rookie mistake so far. Would love to hear from the real reefers. Please I don?t need any wise *** scoldings...

Attachments

• F404D96E-1428-4024-8AA9-490A4A6519E6.jpg
    F404D96E-1428-4024-8AA9-490A4A6519E6.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 2B3FE6EE-EBF3-480F-8E57-7EA1EBBAABD3.jpg
    2B3FE6EE-EBF3-480F-8E57-7EA1EBBAABD3.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 4C43374C-2754-4B80-9AEA-8FE3CF2CCFC0.jpg
    4C43374C-2754-4B80-9AEA-8FE3CF2CCFC0.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 155

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks...people are saying the toothbrush will end up spreading it all over the place

I didn't experience that myself but I can't say for certain it wouldn't happen to you. Is it possible to pull the rock out slice them off, brush it and rinse it off in a bucket? Short period of time out of the tank shouldn't effect the other coral too bad and would help avoid the chance of it spreading. Just a thought. Good luck.

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
If it was me I would cut the Nephthea off of that rock rubber band it to a new rock and take that rock with the xenia out and sell it.
Or maybe you would be able to cut a piece of the rock off with the Nephthea and just clean Xenia off of that little rock?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
No wasn?t killing the messenger at all..... hoping for alternative

Sorry the way you read things sometimes on the Internet is kind of funny.
Maybe it's just me sometimes I think people make things too complicated I know it's a nice rock but you have a problem you're looking to deal with and you can get another rock it's just a rock in my opinion. I don't believe there's a magic solution to just remove the xenia other than taking the rock and Maybe scraping the Xenia off with a razor blade and hoping you get it all so it don't come back just seems like a big pain in the *** unfortunately?

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
If I?m going to the trouble of cutting the Nephthea...

What do you think about razor off the Xenia and then boiling water on the rock

I have tried to scrape xenia off you never seem to get all of it and the other problem I have with that is you're killing all the good bacteria on that rock so it will need to cycle again which could mean more algae and that whole process?

devoinbk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wow...I?m frustrated this is gonna be a pain in the C%$k.....it?s never easy in the pain in the a@# hobby wish I could just zap it with the wand or just get a file fish which totally took care of me ?A? word problem last year

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
What if you cut the Xenia and then laid another rock for a period of time on top of the area where the xenias base remains. Maybe the "blackout" combined with the pressure of that rock on the base would result in the rest of it dying off?

devoinbk

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We took the easy way out....Dave removed all the Nephthea 3 real nice pieces large which I?m looking to trade....we removed the rock pulled off all the Xenia kept the nice pieces which I gave to Dave. We scaped the rock and now I?m gonna let it dry out and clean it up. Dave feels that my system is big enough and established enough that when I re-introduce the rock into the DT there shouldn?t be any issues...now that it?s out I may just do some re-aquascaping. If anybody is looking for some pulsing Xenia hit up Dave from ReefTrends

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: