DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Watsup everyone,

Im getting in my L.E.D's later in the day today, and I'll be installing them into my present hood.(pics a plenty)
This setup is extremely easy and requires very little tools, a scissor, some elect. tape and maybe if you want some elect. caps for the ends that will be spliced off of a AC/DC transformer.

The LED site ive linked you guys are top notch, very good people to work with and they have a variety of LED colors, types and brightness for very good prices.
Not to mention the ones Im recommending for tank use are even waterproof and claim they can be put under water(no shimmer lines this way though)

The ones Im recommending have a light dispersion screen, (no more single file beams down) Have three ultra bright LEDs, and best of all has a STICKY BACK so installation is childs play.(made for exterior application so it stays!)

24led.jpg

24led_side.jpg

24led_back.jpg

Myself I chose blue as it fluoresces the corals but Ive tried white and it also has its own "natural" enchantment.

These will be powered of any AC/DC converter/transformer whatever your vernacular choosing, and can be found at any Walmart, Target, Radioshack, even your local hardware store.

I recommend getting a 12V controllable @ 250 OHM,
The reason being that if your like me and like having the illusion of control over your tank more points for you lol.
In reality a controllable AC/DC is just a plug in the wall converter that has little tabs that change the incoming voltage from 1-3V to 12V(bright!)
You can just go and look in the junk drawer too and see if you find a 9volt @ 250 OHMS too, good brightness level but your just gonna have to take my word for it :)

This thread shall continue as soon as I get my LEDS....

M

midiman

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I and some of the guys in my reef club up here in the Hudson Valley use these, too. RIght now I have two of the 8LED blues and two of the 3LEDs blues over my 90 gal reef. Allows me to spy on all of my critters at night. I agree about the site - good people and good service. We've done three group buys this year and have not been disappointed.

Rborgia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well... im in a DIY mood lately, so I ordered a couple and will give it a shot. $4.99 is reasonable enough to try it out.

Thanks for the link and info

Rich

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Heres a pic of the AC/DC transformer
LED5.jpg

pic of the transformer and the newly arrived LED's
LED1.jpg

Pic of the LED wires(red & black) Transformer wires (black & black w/ white stripes)
LED2.jpg

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
midiman said:
I and some of the guys in my reef club up here in the Hudson Valley use these, too. RIght now I have two of the 8LED blues and two of the 3LEDs blues over my 90 gal reef. Allows me to spy on all of my critters at night. I agree about the site - good people and good service. We've done three group buys this year and have not been disappointed.

Very cool thanks for your input, should sway some to stop being lazy..lol

Rborgia said:
Well... im in a DIY mood lately, so I ordered a couple and will give it a shot. $4.99 is reasonable enough to try it out.

Thanks for the link and info

Rich

No prob, enjoy.
Post pics when your done;)

The last pic when my lights go out :)

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
pic is really bad but its hard to catch w/ my crappy camera
LEDFTS.jpg

I'll do you one better Jim, heres a video :sgrin:

quality again sucks but you can see it shimmer :approve:

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
sent you a PM back,

but not really it can take heat as long as its not scolding hot and there is air movement if so.

if its unbelievably hot it can melt because its plastic

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: