tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
I went to get a mili today but they didn't have any so I got an arrow crab and clown gobi. Close anyway.

lol....that was pretty close....like last time i went to get newlife spectrum pellets and came home with trochus snails instead....lol.

a suggestion of acro to test in your tank, a strawberry shortcake.....i only know it by the trade name not the genus/species name. it has always been my nemesis for years. i have killed at least 4-5 of those frags. the two i have now just browned out after a year of colors....and they are horribly slow grower for me. if these two frags die, i'm done with the strawberry shortcake!!!

Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
lol....that was pretty close....like last time i went to get newlife spectrum pellets and came home with trochus snails instead....lol.

a suggestion of acro to test in your tank, a strawberry shortcake.....i only know it by the trade name not the genus/species name. it has always been my nemesis for years. i have killed at least 4-5 of those frags. the two i have now just browned out after a year of colors....and they are horribly slow grower for me. if these two frags die, i'm done with the strawberry shortcake!!!

Lol I can relate, I have only had one that I bought from Kenny at POTO. Had it for a couple months had great colors then RTN over night

mheaven

Master Member...
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
The time I had my sps tank running the only filter method I had was a skimmer. No carbon, no phosphate remover , no uv just skimmer. I did a 5 gal water change once a week, plenty of corals/ growth.
ImageUploadedByReefs1366485787.314769.jpg

Tank was a 40 breeder, some here had a chance to see it. This pic does the tank no justice. I had about 12 fish in this tank, feed them 2 cubes of food every day.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Singing Mariah Carey "HERO" lmaoooo high five Paul

Jackson, unfortunately I agree with almost everything you said and I hate when I agree with people.
The only reason my tank has SPS at all is because years ago some people on here said SPS could never grow in a tank such as mine because of the conditions and my practices. So I bought some SPS frags, and the dam things grew all over the place.
As to their color, you are correct that I don't have a lot of color in my tank, but in my defense, I don't think I have any colorful corals to begin with. My tank is mostly LPS such as frogspawn, hammars, and gorgonoans because I just like the movement better than SPS. The 5 or 6 types of SPS I have are acropora which is the same color it was when I got it, kind of a greenish, the montipora which are almost becomming a pest are pink. I can't be sure how pink they are supposed to be and as a man I only see one tint of pink. Pink Pink. There is an old green coral which I forgot the name of. (I was married for 6 months before I remembered my wife'e name) I am not real good with names but I will try to find a picture.
They grow as fast as I think they should grow. The acropora,s are all over the place and seem to double in size in 6 months or so.
Now I know you are going to force me to buy some colorful corals just to see if they do well. So the next time I go to a LFS I will see what they have.
The pictures of my corals don't look colorful because I never take pictures with a flash so the colors are muted.

This guy is becomming a pest and is now all over the tank, it grew from a 1/2" frag. There is no color in this picture because as I said, I don't use a flash, and it is a lousy picture anyway.
You can see my photography skills are not great as the pictures all have a different tint even though it is the same tank.
IMG_1824.jpg

Here it is much younger

IMG_1326.jpg

This is one of my oldest SPS, it is lime green and it was always lime green. I think thats the best that coral gets, but I could be wrong. Again, no flash
IMG_1215.jpg

This is my oldest SPS, and like the last one, I have no idea how old it is but it is up there.
Obviousely I don't use photoshop as I don't even know how.

monti003.jpg

This monti frag is now about 8" across and grows wild, it is pink and I think it was always that color pink. Pink is pink and as a man, I only know one color pink. Pink Pink
monti002.jpg

I just like soft corals better but let me know the name of a coral that you don't think will grow in my tank and I will get it as a test. It will most likely croak but I like a test.

IMG_0104.jpg

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Paul, as a hobby, meaning past time, pets, your tank is too envy. I am kind of trying to do the same, mixing lps and sps but I dont want to be losing sleep over it or hosting seminars to discuss my practices, its just a pass time for me, I spend money when i have to or when I get bored but by no means do I want a fish tank to over take my free time.

your tank looks great

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
d5332, it is also just a hobby for me and by far not my only hobby as I have many. I spend very little time on the tank as I have no reactors, test kits, sump, or most other things, I only dose ice melter for calcium and baking soda, and I usually forget to do that. I change some water when I get time maybe 5 times a year. There are no set schedules. I feed the tank when I am near it and sometimes they do not get fed for a couple of days because I am not home. It is just there and for the most part it takes care of itself. For me it is a great hobby because I love to build things and it allows me to build rocks, lights, skimmers etc. I can do that stuff when and if I want, or I don't have to do anything to it. There are never any diseases to think about so I don't and have never lost sleep over the tank.
Now that it is almost summer most of my time will be spent on my boat and I will rarely even look at the tank.

Last edited:

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
next time you are bored and near the tank please consider fragging some of those hardy sps and selling me frags :scratch:

Good stuff!

d5332, it is also just a hobby for me and by far not my only hobby as I have many. I spend very little time on the tank as I have no reactors, test kits, sump, or most other things, I only dose ice melter for calcium and baking soda, and I usually forget to do that. I change some water when I get time maybe 5 times a year. There are no set schedules. I feed the tank when I am near it and sometimes they do not get fet for a couple of days because I am not home. It is just there and for the most part it takes care of itself. For me it is a great hobby because I love to build things and it allows me to build rocks, lights, skimmers etc. I can do that stuff when and if I want, or I don't have to do anything to it. There are never any diseases to think about so I don't and have never lost sleep over the tank.
Not that it is almost summer most of my time will be spent on my boat and I will rarely even look at the tank.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I really should frag this sponge as it is about 10" across and it taking up a lot of real estate. Those dam acropora also grow like weeds all over the place as I keep breaking them by accident.
I never sold anything but the next time you are in Long Island come buy and I will give you a piece or two.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: