evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Can we have a sticky, master thread to discuss advice on all things SPS?

What I would like to see..Successful SPS owners bring in their knowledge on what they do.

You are the expert and have successfully kept SPS with NO badgering from other members. Remember every tank is different so their experience will be different.

Please hit on things like what equipment you think any SPS newbie needs, what extra dosing or feeding needs you find necessary or can help with keeping color etc.

Also, discuss how to find that sweet spot for each coral. Do you keep moving the coral based on color, what happens when placed too high, Too low, good flow, bad flow, better flow? Does polyp extension increase based on flow? Does a coral start to bleach at the base if coral is getting too much light?

I personally would like to thank all those that help this thread.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
BTW, I am calling out ValorG, Rich aka jackson, Dace and a few others. I've followed these 3 individuals threads/posts and seem to be very knowledgeable with A LOT of success.

With ValorG's one post of keeping fresh frags on low light for X amount of time, I dropped my fresh frags that looked to be in bad shape. In a few hours, I have seen polyp extension and some coloration. It may be wishful thinking about color but PE from one of the frags are a very good sign that it needs more time before getting into more light.

This particular coral had NO PE or couldn't even see the feeders. Starting to go to no color at all.
20150221_210238_zpsdfab5fux.jpg

20150221_210045_zpsg48cnpx4.jpg

No PE and started bleaching at the base.
20150221_210214_zps03p9vdl1.jpg

20150221_190106_zpstps4osa6.jpg

In a few minutes, good information helped me save $80 in coral! Thanks again and with more information this will help others.

I don't know if they are saved but looking a lot better, color starting to come back and most important I am seeing PE.

I dropped down my bonsai and green slimer as well because they have PE but color is starting to fade a little.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Evo, I appreciate the good words but honestly, there is just too much info to type in this thread. Too many topics, I don't even know where to begin. There are 100+ page discussions on lighting, nutrient levels, skimmers, carbon sources etc... And to make things more confusing there is conflicting opinions on everything.

Best advice that I can give a new SPS keeper is to avoid LED lighting as a primary source, and to get out and see great SPS tanks in person. After you see enough good SPS tanks, you will notice the similarities. Copy them!

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I am by no means a SPS veteran or Pro, but I can say that besides the basics that everyone knows, like good flow, good light, along with pristine and stable/steady water parameters, one of the most important things that I've found is to just leave everything alone! Unless your coral is showing real signs of having a problem, like bleaching or having the polyps totally closed up, leave it be. I have had some SPS pieces that start growing within days of being put in the tank and then other pieces that took months to start showing new growth. Every time you move a piece or change things flow patterns, the coral has to start all over with adjusting to its environment. Consistency is key.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Thanks for the added info fredro!

What do you guys tend to do for SPS browning out? I had the base of my green slimer that has been doing well starting to brown in it's lower base. My wild bonsai is doing the same. Research says either lighting too low or nutrients too high.

Questions going forward instead:

Lighting: Did you do a PAR reading to decide where your corals go?

Placement: How do you know which area to place X sps or is it based on wherever you have free space to place it?

Issues like STN/RTN, Browning out, getting pale/losing color: reasons for it and what has been your fix? Do certain corals just die like some zoas are just likely melters?

What do you dose or feel is necessary to add to the tank for coral growth and coloration?

Any of these answered questions will help. I have seen many members tanks when I visit them but honestly don't have the time to go over all these questions while I'm there. Helps to give everyone in MR a place to go to get an experienced reefers opinion.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks for the added info fredro!

What do you guys tend to do for SPS browning out? I had the base of my green slimer that has been doing well starting to brown in it's lower base. My wild bonsai is doing the same. Research says either lighting too low or nutrients too high.

Questions going forward instead:

Lighting: Did you do a PAR reading to decide where your corals go?

Placement: How do you know which area to place X sps or is it based on wherever you have free space to place it?

Issues like STN/RTN, Browning out, getting pale/losing color: reasons for it and what has been your fix? Do certain corals just die like some zoas are just likely melters?

What do you dose or feel is necessary to add to the tank for coral growth and coloration?

Any of these answered questions will help. I have seen many members tanks when I visit them but honestly don't have the time to go over all these questions while I'm there. Helps to give everyone in MR a place to go to get an experienced reefers opinion.

Brown SPS, as your research suggested, not enough light or too much nutrient. Also happens in stressed corals i.e. shipping, or handling a coral too much.

For Lighting and coral placement PAR is in the back of my mind, but not the deciding factor. I look at the population of zoox within the SPS. If it has deep rich color, it will handle more light. If color is faded or pastel go easy on the light. Nutrient level is just as important. Whether you're running ULN or higher nutrient, you know what your system will do to colors, keep this in mind for placement.

The reason why I absolutely hate LED lighting as a primary source is the spread. Close to the diode you will get a bright appearance and good coverage, but as the corals get further from the diode, the light illuminates the corals from a steep angle, illuminating only a small portion of coral. Signs of low light can be visible (green base, base STN), but the LED user can also burn the tips at the same time when they crank their LED settings. Burn one side, not enough light on the other, no real light penetration through dense coral growth. LED's make me want to PUKE, especially after I read all the agenda driven reviews. I highly suggest T5's for new SPS keepers due to the uniformity of light. It makes coral placement predictable, and illuminates evenly. I would suggest moving on to LED/T5 or halide/T5 when you have a better understanding of SPS keeping.

RTN- Happens for many reasons, most of the time I'm not really sure why. Most of my RTN occurs soon after I put a stress out out coral in my tank, or when a coral in my tank has a poor spot for a long time (low light, or flow).

STN- I get this from GFO use sometime, not sure why. Also notice stn from base when a coral is not getting enough light, or my alk drops too low for my nutrient level. As a rule, a low nutrient reef maintains Alk close to natural seawater 7.5-7.7 DKH, where a high nutrient will want to stay around 8.5-9.5 DKH (or more) for better growth and health.

Necessary additives- None really, but I do ike microbe-lift Special blend. It helps keep the tank biologically stable IMO. The most important thing is to have a good amount of fish and feed them often. The SPS will absorb the nutrient and have better color if everything is spot on. Of course there are other additives to "feed" coral and manipulate nutrient level, but unless you are an experienced SPS keeper I would Stay away. It's tough balancing things using additives and carbon sources, systems such as zeovit.
IMO carbon dosing in general (including pellets) should be avoided by new SPS keepers. This is a delicate balance to keep. If you mess up, your SPS are dead.

Keep a clean, fed tank, with traditional lighting, good flow, and steady parameters. Your SPS will do great. You can tweak certain aspects as you gain confidence and knowledge in SPS keeping.

Last edited:

AXsignaturecorals

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Good lighting and a good skimmer is key when starting a new tank... once you have all the proper equipment and understand how they work and why they are needed you on your way for step 2... finding the right dowsing amount for your tank is the key to success for sps.. fluctuating levels will be the difference between you having an awesome sps tank and you giving up and going softies... and remember evertime you add a new sps to your stable tank it is not stable anymore...you must find a new dowsing amount all over again... its a science that you must master on your own for your own tank.. noone can control your tank for you with advice..

SuRFeR BoY

BooSten Audi A4 -Aim
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Evo, I appreciate the good words but honestly, there is just too much info to type in this thread. Too many topics, I don't even know where to begin. There are 100+ page discussions on lighting, nutrient levels, skimmers, carbon sources etc... And to make things more confusing there is conflicting opinions on everything.

Best advice that I can give a new SPS keeper is to avoid LED lighting as a primary source, and to get out and see great SPS tanks in person. After you see enough good SPS tanks, you will notice the similarities. Copy them!

Agreed and agreed!

Also, stable water parameters are also key.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: