bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Finally pulled the trigger on Black Friday sale with a Ozotech Possiden 220 Ozonizer kit that comes with the Milwaukee Orp Moniter and the Ozotech air dryer.
Id like to know how is everyone running their equipment. There are lot of ozone reactors from Reef Octopus, avast marine and Geo in addition to the Ozonizer but i see some just either use their own skimmer to hook it up or buy a small separate skimmer for the ozonizer so the main skimmer can keep skimming without having " No Foaming " issues as some have had. A separate skimmer would just constantly run without it filling the skimate holder at all and skimate holder would be filled with carbon instead to filter out the ozone gases.
Would like to hear some feedback from the people running ozone how they are running it and what they suggest.

Last edited:

JBNY

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit, I just run it into my skimmer at the lowest setting for six hours a day. Years ago I made a muffler/air filter that is just a 1 1/2" PVC closed on one end that I drilled and put some JG fitting in. I put filter floss in the open end to keep the air going to the skimmer clean of dust and anything else in the air. The other end has one airline fitting that goes to the ozone reactor the other to the skimmer. I have no issues with skimmate when the unit is on, it skims pretty much exactly the same.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Id rather run mine through a reactor, I dont want it affecting my skimmer in any way especially if my skimmer turns off when the collection cup fills and it will shut down the skimmer and then the ozone wont be disapated through the skimmer any longer but i guess you have the skimmer and ozone shut down when the collection cup fills also. Avast Marine stopped making their Ozone Reactors, wonder why. I guess reef octopus cornered the market on it.

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just got my Reef Octopus Ozone Generator and am liking the build quality of it but there were 2 kinks in it.
1. The top of the connection to the pump was leaking so i needed to put a rubber gasket to fix the probem, this should have been provided and good thing i had one that size laying around.
2. The outlet where a hose would connect to let the water out and in to the aquarium is not provided and the size of this hose needed is not normal sizing, you need an inch hose and the biggest i have around is 3/4. need to buy some in the meantime i jerry rigged it.
For the price of this great reactor these things should be provided, it wouldnt have cost them much at all.
In any event, My neptune probe needs cleaning in vinigar. It was giving a false reading of 375 when my new milwaukee was giving me a reading of 200. Im setting it to 350. Now its running for the past 16 hours and the skimmer seems to be pulling out more and nastier skimate than usual.
When i started setting this all up i was getting some really heavy ozone in the room so i opened up all the windows, I thought something was wrong or not running right. seemed like the outlet of the water had a strong smell of ozone probably because i didnt have the outlet submerged under water so the ozone was escaping in mid air as it was reaching the water splash down point. hence this is why a tubing should have been provided but i made a make shift tube and submerged it. problem solved.
Came down in the morning to check if all is well and no ozone smell and the orp is showing 350. The orp probe actually goes in to the reactor where they have a place you insert it so it is better controlled and not in to the aquarium probe holder outside the reactor. So im getting a reading off the reactor and not inside of the aquarium. Once i clean my neptune probes i should get an accurate reading within the aquarium. Might as well clean my Ph and Salinity probes as well while im at it.
I took my Granular Activated Carbon offline finally after all these years and glad to be done with it. Cost savings right there and maintenance of it. Now next part of my plan is an algae scrubber big enough to take care of some of my algae issues and lower my GFO dependency, I already lowered it by at least 60% with the use of Biopellets. My refugium never made a dent in PO4 or NO3 but it was a good place for creatures to reproduce without a predator.
Finally changed my bulb in the UV Sterilizer and saw right away clearer water, i definitely waited too long to change it. Looks like it needs to be changed in less than a years time tops 1 year.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Time for an update.
I have the O3 Generator & Reactor up and running for the past couple days and took my GAC offline.
First thing I noticed was the smell of ozone, ahhh nothing like the fresh smell of ozone in the morning lol. It went away once the reactor got filled with water and carbon.
Second thing was how crystal clear the water was. Between the oversized UV Sterilizer which made the water clear as it was, the O3 Generator made the water so clear that I can now see 3 1/2 feet to the back of my tank and veiw my corals so clearly. I thought that in itself was amazing and worth the purchase besides dumping the GAC reactor.
Third was how much better the skimmer was pulling all the nasties out of the water. The collection jug never smelled so bad or was so dark. I have it tuned the ozone generator at on at 350 off at 390. I may just have it just run during photo period hours like I have my UV Sterilizer.
I have an outbreak of GHA and it seems like it loosen it up and made it weak, i cant tell yet if it stopped its growth but, So far this is a great purchase and well worth the cost.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Update 1/9/17
The reactor is really something amazing as to what its doing to the rest of my systems reactors and parameters. I noticed my bio pellets aren't clumping any longer or getting clogged. My PO4 and my GFO reactor have been going a longer way since i have this running (0.03 ) still so far. could be cause the skimmer is doing a better job at taking out the nasties. Cheato has had an increased growth and noticing better growth on corals as well. Hair algae is still there but mabe not as much, still i wouldnt say its stopping it but i believe i may have it still in the rocks leaching. So far i having nothing but good to say from what im experiencing.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Ive been following this thread. I have a few questions. I have a 300g sps dom setup. I want to add a ozonizer to my setup which I plan on connecting/ controlling it through my apex. So do I really need a ozone reactor or can I use an old skimmer that I have lying around? Do the size of the ozonizer matter? Does the brand matter? would it be best to go with a brand new one or can I get away with a used 1?

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Update 4/13/17
I am very please and amazed at the clarity of the tank and NO GAC at all which to me is the biggest plus. always had issues with it stripping too much out of the water or not enough. second is algae has been diminished but not bryopsis. I still have a few patches that i syphon out every 2 months or less. I figure in a year or so it will have paid for itself in savings and time fiddling with GAC.
On another note dealing with the briopsys. Im trying a new method with dosing Fluconazole pills one time and this should rid the tank of the bryopsys and green hair algae. i started 4/11/17 and it seems like the color of it is getting lighter. ill update on this treatment as i go along. let me know if you need a new thread for this or just keep this one going.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: