anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
What are both sides of the story of dosing this,

Does any one on this site dose this

and yes I know neo zeo and zeo systems. I want to start dosing potasium in the tank. I heard it is supposed to be amazing for the sps.

Any ideas and opions will be much thanked.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
You need to test for it to see if you need to dose .zoe makes a test kit to test for potasium .Its called ZEOvit Potassium Test Kit your k Levels should be at 380 to 400 . Dont does nothing yet to you test first . I dosed Potassium in my tank and didnt test and allmost wiped out eveything in my tank . Potassium is very dangerous to dose . So know what your par are before you dose.
Heres the site for the test kit. http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=251_253 . And Potassium is for bring out the blues and the purples and pinks in sps most salts have Potassium in it so if your doing your water change every week you should be fine.

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I believe it's a waist especially if your doing waater changes.. I tried it for a while and noticed nothing.. Now it's just sitting there.. Elos aminos on the other hand make a big difference when your phate sand trates are both under 0.03..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Yes amino acid and I need to pick up some more since I started klak and vinegar I have used it a lot to balance out the kalk vinegar dosing and it's working like a charm.. Mind you I haven't done a water change in a while.. I'm trying to a void the unstabalizing of a water change in my system... This is what works for me..

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I'm trying to a void the unstabalizing of a water change in my system,

Now doing a water change causes unstability in the system. I was thinking it helped out the system in re newing fresh water and salt and trace elements into the chem. of the water.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
It does renew nutrients absorbed and add fresh water but these things are all changes that happen quickly(meaning they are added fast).. A lot of nutrients people add are unneccessary really don't account for much, just because they are in the ocean.. A lot of things we do to our systems create unstability including dosing instead of using a calcium reactor, not a lot of change but the colors don't lie.. It does create a slight amount of unstability if your doing large water changes.. If your levels are where they need to be water changes don't really need to be done.. This only makes water a lot more stable.. I still syphon detritus that I might see into a filter sock.. Over the years i have noticed that my colors on my corals get really deep with less water changes, but I test for a lot of things..

Last edited:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you read the tank of the month articles over on reefcentral one of the few things they all have in common is regular frequent waterchange schedule.

if there ever happens to be a TOTM that does not perform regular waterchanges because it makes their system "unstable" I'll listen but until then I continue with regular changes.

It's amazing what happens when you put down all of the magical potions and elixirs and go back to good old fashioned husbandry.

It's easier, cheaper, safer, and produces better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I do the water change and I wait a hr before alowing the water from my sump that was just recently changes to go into the dst. (display tank). I check all levels when the water is being pricessed in the sump.

Also do you think it is better to have a cal reactor istend of dosing. I dose now. esv. I do like the results of dosing and my colors are very good. BUt for some reason I have alot of purple and pinks and greens. they stand out much more in my tank and also orange. That is why I was wonderng if dosing potasium would be a good additive.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Yes wes that is true, but now ppl want brighter and better colors. I am over due for a water change and tonight I am all ready to go. There was a point that I was not doing water changes and I had amazing colors and growth. I see that when I do water changes everything remains the same. I am using brightwell salt. But I do know that water changes are a must.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's what I am saying. Good husbandry gives you much "brighter and better" colors than slacking on normal maintenance with a dose of this and a dose of that.

I'm just saying, there are a bunch of crappy looking tanks that dose all kinds of crazy stuff in an attempt to get brighter and better colors.

There are also many amazing looking tanks that don't dose anything other than Ca/Alk. The difference is, they are keeping up with regular maintenance/waterchanges.

I will not knock any suppliments I have not tried. But I will say that no suppliment is a replacement for good husbandry.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
That is very true, I have know ppl. My firend danny. he has not done a water change in over 2 months and he said the tank looks good. I guess some ppl get away with it and others dont. There is another guy who I know, he has not done water changes and his tank looks amazing. Idk. I want to start vodka dosing

recife

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing potasium, for the tank and sps
I find that is you are using bacterial systems you tend to loose Pottasium.
Maybe it is taken out by the zeolite rocks.

Dosing pottasium does not get you fantastic colours all it does it help dark the corals a little if they are washout due to being starve.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: