njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Nano in FLuval Edge 12 Gallon

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum but not to the hobby. Had a 30 gallon nano for 5-6 years that I broke down a year ago.

Anyway, I'm back into the hobby and decided to go with a smaller tank this time around. Was able to pick up the New Fluval Edge 12 gallon. I've seen a lot of cool things being done with the old Fluval Edge 6 gallon so I can see the potential in this tank. There are downsides tho, it has a small opening so I had to restrict myself to small live rock and cleanings will be a pain. And the oxygen exchange also seems restricted since the tank is 3 dimensional, but the fliter does a good job moving the water at the surface.The lighting that came with it is decent, 7 W leds at I think 7900K. I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for smaller halide clip on or more powerful leds. I wanted to get soft corals and possibly a clam. Does anyone know how to determine how many watts of leds I'll need? I want to keep this tank a FOWLR until I can upgrade my lighting. I'll also slowly build up unlike my first tank where I went all in very fast. Definitely don't want to repeat those mistakes again.

Anyway, here are some shots of the tank. Hope you like. I like the design since the equipment is not a eyesore like it was in my previous tank.

Last edited:

njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Pics attached

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,126
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 2,139
  • DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 2,161
  • DSC_0058.JPG
    DSC_0058.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 2,145
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 2,159
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
There are at least two choice that can go up to 18W LEDs within the hood.

a%3E

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51751091@N08/5805805342/in/set-72157626054771511

or the newer RS 0.2 Mood 18W to 27W
RGB or royal blue/12,000K 50/50
You will need to add fan.
Link show the RS 0.1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51751091@N08/6081446622/in/set-72157626054771511

Both lights are operating at SAFE low voltage. Even if you drop the whole light in the saltwater, they would not electrocute anything.

For saltwater application, I suggest you to switch out the power filter into a small canister.

You are welcomed to come to my DIY LED Party to check out how to mod this hood.

Last edited:

njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lighting suggestions. I researched the DIY LED but I don't trust that I could fit them into the hood safely so close to the water. It is pretty tight in the hood and I don't trust my soldering skills. I think I am going to go get one of those P38 reef lamp bulbs and put it in a nice architect's table lamp. Should look stylish and still give me enough lighting.

Had a scare during the snowstorm as my power went out and the tank had no heat and no water movement. My fish were able to go about 36 hours in 60F water. They were a clownfish, firefish, bangaii cardinal, and royal gamma. Pretty hardy group to start out my tank with I must say.

Tank is much better now, all the water parameters are good. Salinity - 1.026, ph - 8.4, Temp 79F, Ammonia - 0, Nitrate - 10, Nitrite 0, Posphate - 0. Still only about 4 weeks in.

I bought a bunch of new parts recently because the equipment I had originally bought wasn't cutting it. The 50W heater was slow and the oceanic nano pump already broke off its base :grumpy: You get what you pay for in this hobby, always helps to go top of the line even if its a nano. Lesson learned again.

So heres what I've bought recently

Aquarium Systems Natural Wave Wavemaker
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 gph pump
Hagen Fluval 100 Watt E-Series Electronic Aquarium Heater

Question regarding cleaner crew...I have 5 turbo snails in the tank, but i still have some brown algae blooming on the sand bed. Would getting some hermit crabs rid me of that?

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hey Aqua Pro Builder,
I'd be interested in a lighting upgrade for my fluval. Send me details of the next nj meet or where i can check it out.Tried to pm you but your out of space. Thanks.

The best way to contact me is SMS: 347 878 3092 and Email: [email protected]

I am thinking about going to the NJ swap right this morning, LOL. If not, I "will try" to send a sample to either Reef Creations or Gotham Aquatics who will having tables there.

njreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pics now that I'm about 2 months in. Still undecided on the lights. Wish I had considered that before the tank. If I had to do over, I would have gone with this tank http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=188.

But I'm still happy with the Fluval. I added some chaeto to the tank to get rid of some algae problems I've been having. Its growing but I figure I can keep it in check by trimming every 2-3 weeks. I also added a second 425 gph pump with a wavemaker. Fish are pretty happy wit it.

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 745
  • DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 749
  • DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 747

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: