twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Back
A little history. My 1st saltwater aquarium was born on 7/16/06. It ran very successfully with some light modifications. The tank hit it's stride and was in top shape from 2007-2010. A move caused a mini crash in March of 2010. Then disaster struck in October 2011. Back to back power outages each spanning over 2 days finally melted the tank away. This was what the tank looked like at its height:
ftsyn0.jpg

Looking Forward
With my 1st baby on the way in April I wanted to move quickly to get this new setup running as I will have time for maintenance but not enough time to design, order or install after March 2012. I know I wanted a tank with an ELOS look but on a smaller budget.

Looking to Others
Inspirations for this tank come 1st and foremost from urbaneks. Truely awe inspiring in design and methodical setup.
Next I love the look of Rehype. The perspective is amazing.

Looking to Vendors

Tank

I looked to a few vendors for the tank namely ADA, Mr. Aqua, PicoAquariums, Glass Cages, 2 Local Fish Stores & CAD lights. In the end I choose CAD due to their reasonable pricing, sleek stands, willingness to customize. Any of their plumbing shortfalls will be addressed with SCH 80.

Sump

Never having a sump setup before I was baffled (pun intended!). What I did know was that many 1st time sump users end going through 2-3 sumps in the life of the aquarium due to unforseen upgrades they wish they had thought of day 1. For this reason I began shopping for a sump that had an integrated ATO, holders for probes, sleek design & filter sock integration with easy cleaning. I am now in talks with Tyler from elite-aquatics.net to design me a sump similar to the one built for TokenDog.

Dry Goods

Most will come from BRS.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to Cadlights
Tank was ordered 1/30/12. I should take delivery of the tank in one months time (2-3 weeks to build few days to ship.) Eddie and Andrew were very helpful over the phone. This tank is essentially their 50 long with a relocated & smaller overflow and all 4 sides in starfire. I choose their white gloss cabinet.

• 36"x18"x18"
  • 4 sided starfire glass
  • clear silicone
  • 1.5" durso drain
  • 1" return
  • right rear rectangle overflow 3" along back
  • right rear rectangle overflow 5" along side
  • return nozzle exits 12.5" inches high through overflow wall pointing from right to left along the back of the tank
  • overflow made from black acrylic with teeth and cover
  • outside of overflow blacked out to hide plumbing
I did not order lights or sump from CAD. Just their tank/stand/skimmer. Now its time to think about a custom sump.

Looking to Elite Aquatics

I am now in talks with Tyler from elite-aquatics.net to design me a sump similar to the one built for TokenDog.

Tyler was very helpful and I am waiting for a sketch back from him and final measurements before I order.
I am leaning towards the sump because of its design. The first chamber is designed so that the waterfall from the drain will constantly stir up the bottom of the sump, pushing any debris to the top where it will spill over on to a platform with two filter socks where the water will then go in to the skimmer area, up and over in to a fuge, and then finally in to the return section where they put a nice probe holder capable of holding up to 3 probes for me.

It measures 30x15x15 and fits with an inch all around in my stand. Now we have to tailor it to keep the same footprint but integrate an ATO reservoir.
I have never had a sump and I am not scared of DIY. I just don't think I have the skills to DIY to these standards rather then going through several sumps in the tanks life.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Placement

When you see these pictures your going to say Twan, why not a 4 foot tank? My reasoning is simple.
I want to be able to do water changes of only 5g at a time. I don't want to have to buy 3 LED lighting fixtures.
Not too keen on more and more money for rock, more powerful return pump, more visable pumps in the display. That aside lets take a look where the tank will sit. I used some painters tape to get the rough measurements and represent how large the overflow would be. This is rough and not exact be kind!

After coming down stairs to the left:
48sjb.jpg

Straight on:
ebAqx.jpg

Closer:
jzJKx.jpg

3x5 overflow area defined:
W4DgZ.jpg

Two cat-6 cables already run. 1 for Apex/RKE and 1 for an IP webcam:
hSKH4.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Return Plumbing
I think I found an error in my tank build.
Return nozzle exits 12.5" inches high through overflow wall pointing from right to left along the back of the tank.

I wanted the return to come out of the overflow wall instead of over it due to aesthetics and I wanted it a little more then 1/2 way up the water coloumn blowing across the back of the tank to diminish dead areas but not stir the sand.

So when I turn off the return pump or remove it a lot of the tank would drain back down the return line becuase it is probably 3-5 inches lower then the drain.

Confirm or deny that one of these plumbed into my return line would fix all this worry.
1? George Fisher Wye Check Valve
sch-80-plumbing_check-valve-wye-1.jpg

Looking @ Capturing it all
I picked this up last week primarily to capture my newborn son when he arrives but it will also make a great tool in capturing how this all unfolds.

rihVH.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ RODI

My current RODI unit has been sitting for 2-3 months and needed a filter change. I ran it through for a few hours before disconnecting it and was averaging 4-5 TDS.

Here are the starting pictures:
oqfcs.jpg

New filters and resin ready to go in:
HvdzP.jpg

Rejection water after the filter change:
UbQW8.jpg

Zero TDS out the back end:
0SHIv.jpg

Success!

Looking @ Current Equipment

So here is a picture from an earlier post showing some of the old equipment that I have & plan to use for mixing salt water and my quarantine tank (the nanocube). You can see the pumps have some serious build up on them.

smHRd.jpg

I was going to spend $7-$10 on some Magi-Klean but decided to use some vinegar solution 1st. After a two 12 hour soaks with a 2 minute toothbrush scrub each time here is the final product.

nLPLd.jpg

Two Hydor Koralia Nano's
One Tunze Universal pump Mini 5024.04
One Hydor Theo Heater 50w
One Jager Thermostat Heater 50w in perfect shape
One Jager Thermostat Heater 50w maybe slated for the trash

No reason to buy the Magi-Klean at all from my POV. I also wanted to conduct the test as I have quite the job in cleaning out the Nanocube tank. I think a few soaks of vinegar solution will do the trick. I hope to tackle it this weekend. Here is what I am up against.

YFZna.jpg

y53f4.jpg

p.s. side question, one of the heaters looks rusty on the bottom but it is not cracked that I can see. But for there to be a rust inside there has to be a seal bad somewhere, no? Should I just discard it? I think so.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Sumps

I have been in talks with Tyler from elite-aquatics.net to design me a sump similar to the one built for TokenDog.

I went with this sump because of its design and customer service provided by Tyler through the order process. The first chamber is designed so that the drain will constantly stir up the bottom of the sump, pushing any debris to the top where it will spill over on to a platform with a filter sock where the water will then go in to the skimmer area. On through to the fuge, and then finally in to the return section. Every section needed to be adjusted in width to allow for an integrated top off container while allowing proper width for the TIA-1150 Skimmer, the Eheim 1260 return pump and the Tunze Osmolator ATO pump but still maintaining a 30x15x15 footprint. That footprint stuffs my stand and leaves 1\" all around. Not shown but to be included is a bracket for 3 probes and a bracket to hold my two heaters.

Tyler nailed it and I placed a deposit so he can begin building.

AXRZe.jpg

[/font]

Looking @ Placing Orders

What have we got? Where have we been? Where are we going? Here!

6Krf1.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dherrera83, JonnyJ, & CHEMCHEF thanks for the kind words.
Some dry goods should start rolling in early next week.
The sump should be shipping around the 20-22 of this month.
No word from CADLIGHTS on a proposed shipping date for the tank/stand/skimmer

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Controllers

RKE with net ($474) or Neptune AquaController Apex System ($494)?

I want the best unit and I want an easy to use IPOD app to be my primary interface after initial setup.
Please help!

[/font]

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Dry Goods

Got my deliveries today and it was like XMAS?!!!!!!!! I will let the pictures do the talking.

rMJ1m.jpg

-
tm2tZ.jpg

-
PgX0b.jpg

-
XNpjy.jpg

[/font]

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ BRS Pukani Dry Rock

Package came wrapped very well. Not too much rubble. 1-2 pieces football size, the rest grapefruit size.
Pictures are not so great. Didn't want to go opening the bags tonight. This is what 40lbs dry Pukani Rock from BRS looks like.

Package 1:
2aWvS.jpg

Package 2:
rizGp.jpg

[/font]

[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ BRS Tonga Dry Rock

Package came wrapped very well. I asked for 4 pieces and I got 4 pieces but one is just a nub. The other 3 pieces look great. I have not weighed them. I think I have at least 6lbs even if I discard the lighter in color nub.
This is what 6lbs dry Tonga Rock from BRS looks like.

gj8CU.jpg

-
19kTQ.jpg

-
8peTY.jpg

[/font]

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Third tunga branch is very nice, wish the rest were similar in shape. Last piece... Hmmmm not so much a branch.... This build looks like its gonna be a great one.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Looking @ Neptune Apex

All right I did some research.

Seems the variable speed on the Base Apex UNIT will not work for the AI light control. Those variable speed ports there are not compatible with the AI lighting for some reason.

I would need the VDM module to control the AI lights.

I would need the Apex lite with VDM module & the WMX module to control the AI lights and the Ecotech pump.

I do not need the full Apex.

Neptune Apex Lite -->$369.95
Neptune PH Probe --> $44.99
Neptune VDM --> $99.99
Neptune WMX --> $125.99 (not going to order day one as its really not necessary having only 1 MP10wes

Confirm/Deny please!

[/font]

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, Apex lite with display and PH probe is my final decision.
Down the line I might add WMX and VDM.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what's left to order that I am waiting on until the tank / stand / sump are delivered.
I will call CADLIGHTS today for an update.

fOnUi.jpg

samksy

FISHING, I'M IN!!!!
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
Very nice documenting your progress. Hopefully i can start my tank and document the way you do, but probably too lazy to do so....lol! Can't wait to see your tank up. Any update on the tank delivery, i read that their customer servicer is horrible. I'm thinking of getting the 100g cadlight tank but not sure yet.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[font="#092Franklin Gothic Medium#092"]Call To CADlights

Tank
It has been 2 weeks since my tank order. I was given a 2-3 week time frame for tank build and a 2 week back order for the stand. Hearing nothing @ the 2 week mark I wanted to check in. I gave CAD lights a call last night and I am glad I did.

When I 1st called CADlights to spec a tank I spoke with Eddie who was very knowledgable. He gave me his opinions and I jotted them down to use for when I was to call back in another week and actually place the order. It was at this time that Eddie was not available. Andrew was nice enough to help placing the order. There were not many questions on my end since I had item by item list of how I wanted the tank built. He took the information and placed the order.

Yesterday thankfully when I called I got Eddie. He had let me know that the glass was about dry and the custom overflow would be built tomorrow morning. He starts confirming some details and I had to stop him. When we talked about pipe diameter in the beginning I told them I wanted the largest I could get while still keeping the overflow box small. Eddie's 1st quote was for a 1" drain and a 3/4" return. Fine with me. When the order was placed with Andrew though he suggested 1.5" drain and 1" return. When I asked if they would still fit in the 5x3 overflow he said they would. Never plumbing or drilling a tank before I let it be. It was good that I called Eddie yesterday because if they went with that pipe size my overflow box would have grown considerably.

I had also been told yesterday that my return plumbing inside the overflow box would be flexible pipe which I declared several times before I did not want and I needed hard pipe for both the durso and for the return.

Would I have been given a call at that point (today or tomorrow) to confirm both pipe and overflow box sizes before they went further? I am not sure.............I think they would have picked one and I would have been stuck with it. This is not to bash Andrew either. He is in sales, he is knowledgeable, but when making final adjustments to tank spec's I will talk with Eddie from here on out.

The other thing about Cadlights on the phone service is I feel like I get "yes'd" to death without positive reaffirming confirmation of details. This leads me to repeating myself several times till I get a satisfactory positive confirmation of my request. It is a little frustrating but I understand I am a little anal.

Stand
My order with them is for the 50L white cabinet that they sell. They will be drilling this stand for me to accomodate the relocated overflow. The stand is still on back order. They hope to have the item by March.
Eddie said if I needed a stand before then he could get me discounted pricing on a custom stand using birch that will retain the same look but be much sturdier. He is going to get back to me with pricing. Problem is that this stand will come fully assembled and I will incur another shipping charge. Decision is pending an email back from Eddie with pricing.

Conclusion

I felt it necessary to send an email to CadLights after our phone conversation to put details down in writing from my end before he goes further. I am not sure which work order with which spec's will make it into the hands of the person taking my glass box, drilling holes then doing the overflow. Again maybe I am anal and I should just relax and think that everything will come out great. I just want to me sure the tank comes delivered to my door in the spec I requested.

I spoke with Eddie and he finalized the tank order today 2/14/12.
This should be the work order that is given to the person building the overflow and drilling the tank.

36"x18"x18"
4 sided starfire glass
clear silicone
The return will be 3/4" and hard piped.
The drain will be 1" with a hard piped durso.
This was done to still fit both in an overflow box that measures 3"x5".
The 3" portion of the rectangle overflow will be along the back wall.
The 5" portion of the rectangle overflow will be along the right wall.
The pipes will be front to back in the overflow.
At the rear will be the return pipe
At the front will be the drain pipe
All pipes inside the overflow will be hard pipes.
The return nozzle will exit the overflow wall pointing from right to left along the back of the tank not 12.5" inches high as previously stated but about 15 inches high on the overflow.
Bulkheads included.
Piping from bulkheads down included.
overflow made from black acrylic with teeth and cover
outside of overflow blacked out to hide plumbing
white 50g Long stand drilled to match new overflow location

[/font]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: