Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I started my tank on January 14th, 2012. I've been asking a lot of questions but never started a thread specific to my tank.

I let the tank cycle for about 6 weeks before adding a single ocellaris clown along with three turbo's, three margarita's, three small hermits, 6 cerith's and 6 nerite snails.

I'm taking things very slowly with hopes of maintaining a very stable system.

I give a lot of credit to Russ at Saltwater Critters, I would definitely consider him my mentor in this hobby, very knowledgeable guy!

I'll follow up with some pics soon.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Truthfully i would wait until your tank gets a little more established. I wouldn't add any sand or live rock to a rear chamber in a Solona. Imo, that just asking for detritus and other crap to have a perfect spot to build up.

I would simply add a light and some chaeto, keep it easy and simple.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks Jonny, thats exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't seem that I need to add a fuge yet, but I think when I get a bit more life in my tank it will help. The rock and sand did seem a bit excessive, especially for that little compartment.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have to say I'm very happy with my tank so far. I've had a very small diatom outbreak which seems to have gotten a lot better, its virtually non-existant, I have minimal algae on the glass every day and tank parameters are in check.

ph: 7.9
temp: 79
salinity: 1.023
nitrates: 5ppm

I've enclosed a few snapshots. Things are a bit bare at the moment as this tank is just coming up on two months right now.

Attachments

• IMG_6273.jpg
    IMG_6273.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_6276.jpg
    IMG_6276.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 585

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm definitely open to suggestions! I'm in no rush, but it would be nice to see a bit more life or color, I have to admit.

Also, at what point should I start worrying about my calcium and alk?

Right now my list of to do / buy are as follows (again this is long term):
1. Neptune Apex Controller
2. Small chaeto fuge with light
3. some sort of dosing system

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I personally like inverts, especially in a small tank where you can't overstock with fish (at least in good conscience).

Your lighting lends itself to any coral or invert you'd like to keep (ie: clams, anemones, sps). No restrictions there. I would start with some nice colorful LPS. If you go the softy route you're likely going to have them spread like wildfire and possibly want to remove them (ie: mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree, etc).

Once you start adding coral you'll need to monitor/test your calcium, alkalinity & magnesium levels. Until then, weekly water changes will keep your levels acceptable for fish only.

R

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
You are on the right track. Ask away if you dont know anything as this hobby can get expensive if you start buying everything you think you need. For example the doser!... lol This you dont need for now atleast. Until you start testing them and notice drops in cal alk and such will this doser be needed. Additionally most corals with the exeption of sps will be fine with just weekly water changes.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't plan on going into the SPS world yet, I just need to keep my feet wet before I dive in. Right now my intentions would be to go to Manhattan Aquariums and ask them for some suggestions, would anyone disagree with me doing that? I've dealt with them on a minimal basis but have heard decent reviews of them. I don't mind ordering online, but living in a studio apartment with no doorman I can't always assume I'll be around to get the package, so I need to stick to local places.

I'll do some more research and see what I find to be attractive to me. If anyone has any specific recommendations I'm open to your thoughts.

Thank you again!

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Yes you can go to them they are very Knowledgeable and you would have many many many frags to pick from to start. You also have alot of great online vendors and you can always find a friend to order with to help with shipping cost. Just make sure its someone you can trust; after all fish can be expensive.

You can always start off with some nice zoas and see how it goes. Then you can start stocking up little by little. Make sure to pick the perfect fish for you that will live comfortably in your tank like maybe some nice clown or gobys or fire fish. See what you like, you can even use liveaquaria as a reference. They have a nano fish section...

If you want i can give you a frag of some zoas for free to start you off. Just let me know and if you need help or suggestions let me know. You can check out my tank thread or anyone elses for idea on corals, fish, aquascaping or anything really.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I'm assuming when I get some zoa's they will come on a piece of live rock, is that correct to assume? Once acclimated, how do I place them in my tank? I've read a few things about different glues, but no one has mentioned specific types of glues.

Any good place to read about this stuff? I kind of feel like an idiot asking such basic questions...

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Some frags come in plugs or rocks. Don't try fragging cause if the juice gets in your eye u might leave the hobby. When fragging zoas will squirt some nasty stuff that could hurt you. Thought I should mention that even though you didn't ask.

Anyway, you should start with some gsp, zoas palys or even some recordias. I'm mostly in the city and go to manhattan aquariums pretty often. Shoot me a pm when you go if you'd like some help.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I read that about zoa's, doesn't sound like their toxin is very fun to deal with. So what do you do if they spread too much and you need to cut them back?

Waiting on some cash to come in then I'll hit you up about going to Man. Aq. I appreciate your help.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: