fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tank is about 9.5mo old at this point. here are a couple quick photo updates with a 'real' (not an iPhone) camera...

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

ora redplanet and tricolor valida growth:
IMG_0297.JPG

FTS 2/10/13:
IMG_0309.JPG

enjoy!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
got the new light fixture yesterday! maxspect razor 120w 16000k LED fixture to replace the 4x24w t5 fixture with ATI bulbs. getting used to the new fixture with the shimmer and the new shadows in the tank caused by the 2 led clusters versus the 24" t5 fixture. starting off the led's slow to acclimate everything in the tank.

razor fixture settings to acclimate:
0700 A:0 B:1
1100 A:10 B:15
1300 A:30 B:50
1600 A:40 B:50
2100 A:30 B:35
2300 A:0 B:0

Before - Aquatic Life 4x24 T5's with ATI bulbs:
IMG_0316.jpg

After - Maxspect Razor 120w 16000k:
IMG_0317.jpg

FTS 2/16/13 with Maxspect Razor fixture with A channel at 40% and B channel at 50%:
IMG_0321.JPG

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
oh man! i was digging the growth of your t5s, what fixture are they? why you decide to go led? i have ai sol now and wanted to try the ati 4x24 pm on my solana. leds gives great color to my lps but not so much for my sps. waiting to see your outcome to prove me wrong =]

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tank is looking great.
Let us know what you think of these lights. This is the exact same set up I'm thinking of getting later on this year.

awesome! so far so good. only time will tell :smile:

viplock said:
oh man! i was digging the growth of your t5s, what fixture are they? why you decide to go led? i have ai sol now and wanted to try the ati 4x24 pm on my solana. leds gives great color to my lps but not so much for my sps. waiting to see your outcome to prove me wrong =]

i had the aquatic life 4x24w t5 fixture. at the time of purchase i got it because it had one power cable and built in time. but for both tanks i used it on (ada 60p and the reef octopus tank) it was just too big and bulky. i got the maxspect led fixture for a few reasons. the look of it goes well with the rimless tank. i was also at 10mo on the ATI bulbs that were in the t5 fixture so i took in account the cost of replacement bulbs every year or so. also the controllability of the LED's; i can control the channels from 0 to 100%. with the T5's, it was either on or off.

for a future larger tank i would definitely consider t5's again though. i didn't have any shadows with the t5's but the two cluster led fixture gives me shadows. we'll see how that goes.

hope this helps some.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
How are you liking that Razor? Any updates on this tank?
I've got a quick question abut the design of the stand - is it flat on the back so you could mount a light hanger, or does that decorative edge go all the way around?
Can't wait to see what growth you are getting under the leds.

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How are you liking that Razor? Any updates on this tank?
I've got a quick question abut the design of the stand - is it flat on the back so you could mount a light hanger, or does that decorative edge go all the way around?
Can't wait to see what growth you are getting under the leds.

I'm still liking it. much more streamlined than my previous light.

the back of the stand is not flat. the decorative edge sticks out about half inch.

i can't wait to see continued growth as well although the tank has been ignored a bit lately. we had a baby and she's 10wk's at this point!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow! :groupflip Congrats on your baby!

Thanks! she's great! unfortunately i've been procrastinating on tank maintenance and it shows. Been battling cyano on the sandbed for the last few weeks. otherwise the coral has been growing in nicely!

so since i've started this tank i've been dosing BRS 2part manually and topping off manually due to no space in the cabinet for an ATO reservoir. earlier this week i decided to get a container to stick IN the return chamber to be used as my ATO reservoir and finally put my Tunze Osmolator to use instead of only using it when I go on vacations. Along with ATO, I picked up some BRS kalk to keep my levels on par. figured i'd kill two stones with this approach and now I have no need to dose anything manually! we'll see how this goes. right now just starting off with 1tsp of kalk per gallon of RODI.

I'll get some photos up once the cyano subsides and the tank is picture worth again!

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tank is now in rebuild mode. got sick of the cyano. vacuumed out the sump, took out all the rock and brushed it clean of cyano, and removed any dead SPS :(

only coral that survived my lack of husbandry the past 6mo are the zoanthids and the duncans. i'll give it a few weeks, if no signs of algae then i'll start possibly collecting more coral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: