• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
A few months ago I decided to break down my 90 gallon reef. It was just too big for the living room and really too much work to maintain.

So I downsized. A lot. ..I bought an Elos Mini, and although these are excellent tanks with incredibly well done (and thick) glass, silicone, etc... it turns out I completely ran out of room in about two weeks. :scratchch

I knew this wasn't going to last long. After reading, searching, and a TON of indecisive back and forth.. I finally ordered a new Deep Blue 60 Gallon Rimless tank. I'm going to really put my best effort into this adventure, and will slowly update this thread when updates come.

Thanks for reading and following along.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
As for equipment.. Here's what I have planned so far:

Sump:
GLA (Green Leaf Aquariums) rimless 18 inch cube

Skimmer:
Warner Marine MF-121 (this skimmer is INCREDIBLE)

Return Pump:
Probably the Tunze Silence 1073. I love Tunze gear, and their return pumps are excellent. I also might get a Marineland Utility 1800. I've used a number of these pumps and have been happy with them.

Lighting:
This has been a difficult decision, and it's one I've not made yet. I'm leaning toward LED. I have an AI Nano over the Elos Mini and really like it. However, I wish there were less expensive, quality options. Right now there's really just the Radion, Vertex, Acan or AI Sol Blue. On the other hand, a Giesemann Spectra 150 MH/T5 combo or a 6 bulb Powermodule would be sweet. I just don't want to deal with the heat they come with or bulb replacement. Also, the control-ability that comes with LED lighting is amazing. It's going to be hard to give that up.

Flow:
I'm going to start off with an MP10. That will handle my lower flow LPS and Zoas/Acans for now.. but in the future I plan on adding additional flow. I might get another MP10w ES, or a Tunze 6095. Either of these will easily handle the flow requirement of my mixed reef. I love the wide flow, quiet operation, and reliability of the 6095... but I don't like the cord sticking in the tank, and the lower profile MP10w ES will be nice. I have a Nano Wavebox that's been sitting in my basement and I might use that as well. We'll see.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Looks like I haven't updated this thread in a while :lol2:

.....the tank has gone through a few changes. Some were equipment and some livestock.

I ended up selling the GLA tank. It was really too nice to be used as a sump, and I picked up a 20 gallon high tank to use instead. The 20 gallon tank works well, and allowed me to add the RO/Di container in the stand.

In addition to the sump, I added an AI Sol Blue and another MP10wES. The flow is great and I really like the wireless capability. It's a neat feature.

As for the lighting, well... :banghead: ...I ended up trading the AI Sol Blue for an Aquactinics MH/T5 combo. So far, so good.... but I'm thinking about changing the MH fixture out for an LED setup or an ATI Powermodule. We'll see how that goes.

My ATO died as well. It was an Avast Marine Works pressure sensor. I liked that until it just stopped working one day. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the control switch just wouldn't turn the pump on...I no longer recommend these, because it was less than one year old, and cost too much money for that kind of longevity. I picked up a JBJ ATO unit instead. It's a nice top off module. No real complaints at this point.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Why are you getting rid of the MH? I can't stand the LEDs, I will never go back to them. I would go power module for sure over LEDs. You can't spell misled without led.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Why are you getting rid of the MH? I can't stand the LEDs, I will never go back to them. I would go power module for sure over LEDs. You can't spell misled without led.

I'm it sure if I am or not. Really I'm on a quest to find the best coloration possible... I feel like I'm searching for a unicorn or leprechaun though :lol2: For me, I've had the best colors with T5's. LEDs offer superior control and a nice pop under the royal blues.. But not quite the color of T5's yet.

If I can find a used Powermodule at a reasonable price, I'll probably jump on it.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I've been looking daily on MR, RC, and R2R for a six bulb Powermodule. There were a few 8 bulbs on RC but one was sold before I could get it and one was like $550 and needed new bulbs.. And I do like the look of many of the LED fixtures in person. Having to buy bulbs with MH and T5s may get old quickly.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I grew tired of the LEDs after 6 months, I have never grown tired of the MH/t5 combo. I jumped in on the save money by going with LEDs, but it has cost me money in the long run. If you have noticed since I went to LEDs I don't really sell frags anymore. I was making enough of a return with the other fixtures to make them worth the price. I was never in this hobby to make money, but at least I could sell frags at a cheap price and buy bulbs with the money.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Yesterday I bought a few ATI Blue+ and Purple+ bulbs, installed them, and immediately saw a difference. That made my decision easy. ATI Powermodule or Sunpower is the way to go. Now I just need to find one. :D

As for livestock, I have a yellow watchman goby and a small black saddleback almost done with QT. Hopefully they'll be ready to add to the display this weekend.

I'm going to add some new fish to the QT when the ywg and clownfish are out... Probably some shoaling fish like cardinals, or maybe some hardier anthias, although I'm not sure my tank will be sufficient for them. I will have to think about that some more.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
E, you don't like the MH/T5 hood? I'm not a 175 SE MH fan but the 10k Ushio with 4 T5 blue+ should look great. How is the spread of the Hamilton MH reflector? Do yoy get a bright spot from the halide down the middle, or does the MH bulb cover the tank (without T5's helping)?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The reflector is actually pretty good. The fixture has 2x T5s along with the halide. I want a blue-look with higher PAR. Really I would be fine with the MH/T5 combo but T5s are my favorite lighting choice, and I want to try out the new dimmable Sunpower.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: