Zig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
wow this has to be one of the best tank builds ive ever read really great job and those lights make all the dif great job keep it coming

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks so much guys!! I really do appreciate it.

This tank and I have been through a lot of changes and are hopefully on a positive stride.

It'll be a year old Aug-Sept!

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
hey folks.
I've been off of my fish sites for awhile. Needed to stop spending money unnecessarily on the tank for awhile.

The tank is fine. However, my mosylea died...and some of my lps receded. I'm not sure why.

I did start biopellets for 2-3 weeks and then suddenly stopped. It was after that where they started looking bad.

Anyway, other than that, I have s much aipstasia it is depressing. I started my tank with marco rock in the hopes of not getting tons of them.

I'll need to get a fix. Aipstaiax and the like only close them up for a while.

maybe a nudi??? would I be able to take it out once its finished eating them??
that would take a while i bet. these are big and juicy.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Wow, so I decided to do a 40 g water change today after looking at Arlin's tank, which is the same size as mine. He uses like 1 200g case of ESV in 5 months. Since i hardly ever do my water changes on time, I had probably 50% of a case left after 5 months :)

So, while I was taking the water out...I decided to move the rocks back a bit, because I had about 4 inches between the rocks and the back wall and less space than I'd like for my LPS on the floor.

That turned into me removing about 45-50lbs of rock from my tank.

Since so much rock was gone...I CAUGHT THE TOMATO CLOWNS!!!

They have terrorized every other type of clown I've tried to keep AND have lost me countless corals because the female makes DEEP mounds in the sand to clear the area for her eggs (My favorite HUGE big head dendro died because of her...)

Anyway, i really like the way the tank looks. Most of the tank is only 1 rock layer high.

I also finally hung the ATI light in the canopy Harry helped me build.

It is open in the back, and the final 8" of the top, I also have a dual head fan in their to help the heating issue.

Also, I like the ATI, but once these light bulbs are used up I think I will either go back to 250 w 20k MH or LEDs. I have a D120 from Wingo, and if i need another one can get one of his sales or the Reef breeder sales. Which ever is easily available at the time though I'd prefer Wingo since i've worked with him many times.

Anyway, that's all I have to say for now.

Upcoming: New Stand, New Sump maybe a new tank (RR 120)

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
See all the missing rock?

The clowns are leaving soon, so I'll only have 8 fish left.
I guess I should have gotten some fish at max reefs. I just don't know what to get. If I got more it would need to be a fish that would hang out in the middle of the tank.
No more wrasses
I thought I wouldnt get another Yellow tang because the copper band has a lot of yellow...but maybe I should.
No other tangs after that if i get it.
I don't have good history with anthias. I do not feed my tank more than 3x a week or so to cut back on phosphates by food.

What other fish would be pretty, reef safe and not hide or stay on the sand all day?
(My wrasses are usually out. I really freaked them out today so tehy'll probably hide in the sand for a day or two.)

oh, of course, I suppose I'd get some replacement clowns. I can't believe how many fish the tomatoes have killed...

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
I'm glad I inspired you to clean up lol

Looks alot better with less rock and this will increase flow.

Glad u cough the clowns ! Clowns in general are very terretorial.

Don't rush to get other fish just get them as you go .. Then ull be stuck looking at fish u don't like lol.

Your welcome to stop by when ever ur in the bx just give me a heads up so we can make it happen.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yea, it's huge.

it goes through tons of molts because my wrasses, and the old clowns constantly get sand on it! It always looks beautiful though.
It's dropped a finger or two...which have been lost somewhere in the tank

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So folks,

I have the Apex Jr right now (no display).

I have 2 ports taken up by my ATI, 1 port for my heater.
But over the next 6 months, I am upgrading my entire system and want to measure salinity/conductivity, and once i install a kalk reactor, i want a ph monitoring system.
I'd also like to control the skimmer and an ATO.

Why? It's better to know about a problem before the tank visibly tells you there is a problem.

I think I should sell my apex JR.
Then get on the look out for a full apex system OR something similar but cheaper.

I chose the apex over reef keeper because the apex is automatically wireless without having to buy a sep. module.

I just want to be able to:
Wirelessly connect
Control lots of things

I'm not techie but am willing to learn.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
So folks,

I have the Apex Jr right now (no display).

I have 2 ports taken up by my ATI, 1 port for my heater.
But over the next 6 months, I am upgrading my entire system and want to measure salinity/conductivity, and once i install a kalk reactor, i want a ph monitoring system.
I'd also like to control the skimmer and an ATO.

Why? It's better to know about a problem before the tank visibly tells you there is a problem.

I think I should sell my apex JR.
Then get on the look out for a full apex system OR something similar but cheaper.

I chose the apex over reef keeper because the apex is automatically wireless without having to buy a sep. module.

I just want to be able to:
Wirelessly connect
Control lots of things

I'm not techie but am willing to learn.

Why not get an extra energy pack.(eb8)then you have 12 outlets to control.it cost around $160.to moniter ph you'll need a PM1 ($85)a ph probe($40-80)either standard grade or lab grade.PM2 for salinity ($85)since you have the apex jr already.if you upgrade it's going to run you about $500 and you'll still have to get the PM2 to moniter salinity

Last edited:

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
@reefer oh, i didn't know i could add an energy pack to the apex jr!
that would solve the main issues as i'm not going to get more modules anytime soon.

i'll read up on how to connect them and start looking for sales.
thanks.

@lnevo, hm, maybe I said this incorrectly.
With the apex, all I needed to do to control it at home or off network was to plug it into my router and setup stuff online. No other apex equipment/modules needed to access any/everywhere.

As opposed to RK where I am under the impression you need to purchase the net module to be able to access the controller wirelessly/over the net on any phone/connection/etc anywhere in the world.

I got the apex jr (w/o screen) for $100 incl. shipping. the RKL +net would have cost at least 90$ more since i want network access

I contemplated RA when i was fascinated by the WP 40 but since I'm not program savvy, I figured i shouldn't do it.

Lol, it looks like your entire set up is controlled by RA.
Cool! That's a lot of stuff on it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: