SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Ok gonna start my first reef tank,Its a 40 breeder with glass hole overflow and a deep blue stand which I took apart added tightbond to the seams and added more screws from the bottom for more stability and im also gonna put a brace in the side door opening drilled all the way through with stainless nuts and bolts so it can be removed if need be.Tank and stand was purchased on the market here.

Equipment

oceanic 1/4 hp chiller
trigger system crystal 30 sump-waiting on delivery
Vortec mp 10 wireless-waiting
Reef Octopus 4 in. Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer-waiting
Maxi-Jet Submersible NJ 4500 Utility Pump - 1175 gph-waiting
also got salifert test kits no cal,alk,mag yet
Lighting still undecided but looking at t5/mh fixtures
brs plus 5 stage rodi
big bucket reef crystals
40lb bag of sand
Thats what I have so far gonna plumb everything in pvc,I was gonna fill the tank right up to the overflow but decided not to just in case I get a leak or dont like how the pipe is ran so I will wait.Ill post a pic of tank and stand later in the week im refurbishing the apt so there is crap everywhere I will move the tank into my rodbuilding room now it is sitting in the middle of my living room which is a total mess I feel like I live in a junk yard.This is my first reef tank so I will gladly accept any comments suggestions of what im doing whether its is right or wrong or there is a better way of doing something.Im gonna go slow add a fish or two after the cycle Im thinking a naked or nearly naked and snow onyx clown,then start with polys/zoas and a few lps then see how it goes what other equipment I need far as reactors and dosing then hopefully some sps.Ill post pics in a few days after I get things cleaned up,so IM on my way hopefully things will go good,thanks for reading/looking.
SteveZ

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Here is a pic of the tank and stand it will go in another room I am renovating the apt I am at so this weekend I can set up. tank.jpg

stand.jpg

sump 1.jpg

pumps.jpg

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Finally have the tank set up I had it running with water and vinegar since thurs,I was gonna fill with salt water yest but I needed the faucet thread adpt for my rodi so Ill do it today.The return is hose for now till I get the reactor for phos then Ill hard pipe the return and add a bypass line so I can bypass the chiller so when it needs cleaning the tank will still run.I have a question I have a maxi jet return that does 1175 gpm I have the valve 3/4 open and it looks like nice flow comming out how does everyone judge the turnover rate in this I want to know if I have enough or too much.I wanted to hang my light on the cieling but I have plaster and lath so its gonna be a pain finding the beams without making a million little holes so Im thinking of building a light stand something similar to close rack out of 1" black pipe with flanges on the feet and screw it to the floor,its a mh t5 fixture with internal ballast so its kinda heavy. Any body that reads this that has some tips comments or ideas of something i should change or I did wrong please help and give me some ideas... Thanks SteveZ

Attachments

• plumb 1.jpg
    plumb 1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 815
  • plumb 2.jpg
    plumb 2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 817
  • plumb 3.jpg
    plumb 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 813
  • tank shot.jpg
    tank shot.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 820

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Hopefully this will get more interesting soon as I get closer to being able to add livestock. Got the tank cycling with a piece of lr, I was hoping to get my manado tomorrow but its sold out so I have to wait a week or so. I build a light hanging stand out of 3/4 pipe. So here is a few pics Skimmer went nuts yest because of the sandstorm I created,the foam went down so IM tuning it little by little till it breaks in.There is a sump/fuge pic.I didnt hook up the chiller yet I need to get a phos reactor,Im looking at the next reef one. I hace a question do you siphon the sand when doing a water change because it makes a cloudy mess when its disturbed or should I stirr it around till that stops and the skimmer removes the reallly fine stuff? I know this is not that much of a informative thread but Its for me to learn and hopefully get some tips in the process. Thanks in advance for looking and adding any input..
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/lighthang_zps4c212087.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/mhpower_zpsedec060b.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/hang1_zpsbdb95ebd.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/fuge_zpsac3c9c6f.jpg
http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/SteveZ15/skim_zps8b5cba4e.jpg
I had to put like this the site wont let me upload pics,

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Finally got the rock in.its manado from premium aquatics nice stuff.I will add a few small shelf rocks over the weekend..This is what I have for now I think ill keep this basic structure,now hopefully it cycles fast and I can at least get a fish in there.

Attachments

• caves 2.jpg
    caves 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 765
  • caves 4.jpg
    caves 4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 763
  • caves 3.jpg
    caves 3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 761

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
actually its not that loud I put a pipe about a inch or two into the sump below the water line that quiet it a lot the return line is the loudest thing I have the outlet close to the surface.I didnt put the check valve yet ill do that this weekend when I hook up the chiller.Im running out of room in the cabinet I might have to hang the phos reactor on the wall or on the side if the cabinet,all the stores I go dont have reactors I can look at I just wanna see it in person before i but it so I know its gonna fit.I just gotta get a controller and the wires will be cleaned up Ill mount a board on the wall and put all the control pannels on it.Ill see if I can make the 1 1/2 fit its pretty tight.The overflow has covers and a screen pad thing but If I can make it fit I rather be on the safe side.

Last edited:

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Here is mine note the 1 1/2 going up had a cap withe a 1/4 " hole with a piece of hose for air

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362108914436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362108914436.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 326
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362108928338.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362108928338.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 327
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362108944377.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362108944377.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 328

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Got some stuff in the tank past few days,A naked clown who loves to eat , 2 zoa frags and a red mushroom..also a green monit cap.. The mushroom and zoas started to open after 10 mins in the tank.. even the polyps on the monti are starting to come out.Got a few more snails nass and troch.Now the learning part the water is good so I will see how they do ill put pics later.

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Heres what I got.

Attachments

• clown.jpg
    clown.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 314
  • green monti.jpg
    green monti.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 310
  • green zoa.jpg
    green zoa.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 305
  • red mushroom.jpg
    red mushroom.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 305
  • red zoa.jpg
    red zoa.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 309
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 305

SteveZ15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a funny feeling ill be getting rid of some of that shelf rock and adding regular rock unless I but frags with flat disc plugs theres no good way to put them I might turn the monti around but I wont disturb it for now.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
How is your surface agitation? I set my returns up at the surface to increase it and also so in the event of a power outage or a feed schedule it doesn't drain back so much. Although it looks about in line with your overflow and I have a weir setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: