e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got into this amazing hobby 8 or 9 years ago at the age of 16. Since then, I have learned so much and really appreciate the various forums I have been a part of. The past 2 years have been a little challenging for me in the fish tank department.....work and school left me very little time to care for my tanks. I ended up selling most of my coral and all but 1 osc. clown fish. I now have more time to get back into the hobby. Here are some photos of my stuff.
90g looped to a 40g, looped to a 20g.

I still have all the plants, most of the rocks, but only some coral and only the clown fish. I dont have any up to date photos right now, but I will try to get some up today.

e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is the old set-up, but I still have all the tanks and whatnot, just not all the coral, rock or fish.

e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The plant tank with the 5.5" deep sand bed (DSB) was enough for some natural filtration in the tank. I had no filter, no skimmer, no bubbler, nothing. I tested and watched the chem levels very closely for several weeks, and there was no fluctuation at all. My tank was all natural! It was nice to be able to have a tank that didnt need a skimmer or any other sort of mechanical filtration. I still have the set up, but got the skimmer going again because I am going to add a few more fish in the next few weeks. I just want to make sure everything stays healthy.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I was reading some articles on another forum on just having macro to perform filtration. No bacteria cycle necessary just straight up letting the plant life process the ammonia and organics. Very interesting concept...

e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was reading some articles on another forum on just having macro to perform filtration. No bacteria cycle necessary just straight up letting the plant life process the ammonia and organics. Very interesting concept...

A few years back, I helped run 2 forums and did a lot of research and wrote a few articles about the benefits of plants in tanks as well as the benefits of having a DSB in loop with a display tank. In my opinion, you cant go wrong with certain types of plants in a tank. I favor cheato, caulerpa and red mangroves for my needs, but to each their own.

e_baer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I ended up getting rid of a bunch of the caulerpa the other day and am making room for cheato. I have also added a bristle tooth tang to my display tank as well as a few various sps, lps and some zoos.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: