Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Nori....both green and brown.
They need veggies in their diet.
I also feed my angel Formula 2 flakes, and frozen "Angel" food cubes.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
ok, wow talk about how much i don't know about fish food.

What are live pods?

right now its mysis shrimp and some flake food i got when i got my clownfish and i usually turn off my pumps/filter when i feed them. I do that with my cichlids so the food doesn;t go to waste, but its usually gone 5 seconds after i drop it in.

Should i be feeding with the pumps/filter on? and what are food i will need to get very soon? The angel sort of picks at the flakes but i have a feeling i will have to get it something else.

Mysis it also picks at as well as my damsel who looks like it will eat anything and my clown.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Oppz, forgot you asked about scooter blenny's diet too.
They only eat pods IME. I was foolish enough to buy one when I started out years ago and it slowly starved to death. I've also heard they eat Brine shrimp...but don't have any experience with that.

Google "copepods" and you'll see what live pods Leslie is referring to.

I'm not too big of a damsel fan. They grow to be very aggressive. My advice would be get rid of it if you want to keep more docile fish.

As for the scooter blenny, I recommend you either
a) make a fuge to harvest your pods
b) give ur scooter to some1 with a more established tank until ur tank matures and ur pod population increases
c) sell it back to the fish store and get some credit/refund
d) try feeding it brine shrimp...if that doesnt work choose options A-C
Otherwise, it will most likely starve to death. I've only heard very few cases of it eating prepared food.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
the damn angel ate most of this cool sponge scultpure that was growing off one of my LR... Wish i took a pic of it before it was gone. the little bastard....

Anyways i am happy he is eating, was starting to worry. Did some research of their feeding habits and eating sponges/algae+plants off LR is what they usually do. Think he also took care of some small red plants i had growing off my LR.

Now my only concern is if he doesn;t take to the angel food i am planning on buying tommorrow/later today he won't have enough to feed off of on the Lr i currently have and taking in how old my tank is (its still a baby) There won;t be enough growth of it to support him. Hopefully my LFS will take him for some sort of credit even though i didn;t buy him there if he doesn't do good with the new food.

should i be worried? As of now he has been cleaning out the inside of my rockwork which my cleaning crew is neglecting and the hermit crabs seem to like having little brawls instead of doing their jobs, i keep seeing dead hermits floating (seen two so far). Its hard to find good help nowadays!

BTW the scooter blenny is finding enough food, gotto go do some more research on the pods and feeding him, because i feel he is gonna run out or slow down soon. Hopefully pick up some stuff when i hit up the LFS.

PS: is there any way to farm/breed/hatch live pods without a sump/fuge. right now i have the jbj nano tank with no other tank hooked into the cycle.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i would watch the flame real closely. if he runs out of things to eat on your rocks or you don't feed him enough he can start feeding on some of your coral. best of luck

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
PS: is there any way to farm/breed/hatch live pods without a sump/fuge. right now i have the jbj nano tank with no other tank hooked into the cycle.

you could google some diy brine or mysis hatchery thingamabobs. brine are not very nutritional so you would have to gut load them before feeding them to your blenny.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Leaning tower of turbo.

leaningtowerof.jpg

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Updates, got alot of new stuff since my last update and everything is growing and doing fine, tank is going on just shy of 2 months. =0)

Warning image intensive. If the water doesn't look too clear its b/c Phyto was added about an half ago and still not 100% clear.

fullshot2.jpg

Yes thats a shot glass in the tank. Trying a new feeding method involving Kettle One and some juice. (trying to get Xenia's to attach to some rubble)

sideshot2.jpg

Here are 3 pics for Ronen. =0)

blasto.jpg

These have since been moved. but Still look as good or even better

orangezoo1.jpg

A week old pic, but still looks pretty. Has since opened up 3x as much. Pain in the rear to feed but well worth it

ronansunpolyp.jpg

My mushroom rock =0) These guys are amazing.

mushroomrock.jpg

Short Tentacle Plate Coral i got two days ago. I love the colors.

platecoral1.jpg

My rics, small one was just mounted and just starting to expand back to normal. The big one is doing stretches.
rico1.jpg

anemone crab. My filter Feeding friend (that likes to nip at my hands when cleaning the tank) Little sucker bites hard.
filterfeedingfriend.jpg

Thats it for now. =0)

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
payed 15$ for them from new world, was a nice size frag too.

Has a piece of some sort of gorgonia <sp> growing on it i can't identify, and its growing 30 times as fast as the zoo's and overcrowding them. Gonna have to split the two colonies when i make the transfer. They have this amazing electric blue that i can;t capture with the camera that really shines when they are shaded a little.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: