2Sunny

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kalkwasser.

Strendo,

just wondering about the kalkwater stirrer, I us a 5 gal bucket with a powerhead in it to keep my kalkwater mixed and a top off pump. Any reason not to do it like that?

Sweet setup!

I used to run the same setup as you, but I found 3 problems for me.

1) Because I am lazy and travel alot I needed a setup that I could leave alone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I found that the quality of the kalkwasser as measured by pH seemed to decline very quickly so I needed to clean the bucket and start over weekly. The pH would fall from 12.4 to 10.5 in less than a week.

2) When the pump turned on automatically while I was away on trips small particles of kalk would be dripped directly into my sump clogging the output line and causing crystallization in the area of the addition which I could tell by white particles on the bottom of my sump.

3) The power heads only lasted about 6 months in my setup, but I was using super cheap Maxijets.

I know many people use setups like yours with great success, so if its working for you I would say don't worry. Part of my problem lies in the fact that I need to top off 4-5 gallons a day, and I have problems with excess CO2 in my basement sump room which may have accelerated the degradation of my kalkwasser.

Oh, and thanks!!

Joe

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: