jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Well with a few other's making the upgrade step I did not want to be left out.
My wife recently said she wants to re-do the floors in the room that my current DT is in so I figured now is as good a time as any to move forward with the change. I warn you though this is going to be a long process involving the set up of a basement sump, frag tank, refugiums, ........................................ Needless to say its going to culminate with the 200DD as the final piece to be put in place. To start with I will be putting in a utility sink in the basement near where the sump will be. This area also doubles as the laundry room/storage room/utilitys room. I get a little corner on the far end with which to work.
Here is my spot.
67D4E93A-C31B-4FDC-9447-5E908C142A85_zpsdyxv3hwc.jpg

And Here is where the first piece will be placed. This is the other side of the wall where the sump will be.
24C216FB-CECB-4591-BB5C-2AFA7B9EE009_zps0ekubcex.jpg

I am picking up a Deep Blue 80gal Frag tank tomorrow. This will be the new home for everything that I plan on keeping in my current 90Gal. Originally I was planning on just using my current 40B sump for now, but I may go ahead and get the bigger sump in place now too. Not sure which way I want to go with that though. I'm and leaning towards a 75Gal stock tank which will house the skimmer and pump since I do intend to run a completely separate refugium. I also like the fact that its easy to add a external pump later without drilling since they come with the hole in place, right? Though I like the traditional old tank as a sump deal. If I do a regular tank I'll probably go with a 90Gal and drill the hole for the pump, and just cap it off till I need it. Any input on that would be great.

As for the refugium I intend to go with a 40B that will also serve as a easy place to do my WC's. I would like to incorporate a separate circulation tank into the system that I could easily shutdown and drain to do my WC's but I'm not sure if I'll have the room. Therefore I will go bigger with the refugium and just shut that down for WC's instead.
I guess that's it for now. Get ready for a marathon

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Been doing some thinking. My original plan was to sell the 90 when I emptied and cleaned it. Now I think I'm gonna keep it and move it to the filtration room. My plan is to use it as a combo DSB/refugium. The tank is 24"h so I figure a DSB at about 6"-7" then the rest for cheato. This tank will also be able to be taken off the system so I can also use it for WC's without disturbing the DT. I could easily drain down 30gal or so without disturbing the DSP or exposing the macro to air. Doing this will also increase my water volume to around 400gal.

By keeping this tank and stand I will also use the space below for a 40b to be used as a top off tank. And the area next to this stand will be the stock tank for a sump.

Thoughts

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Little progress today

Got the water lines in place for the utility sink
E80BFFCD-1C89-4D62-B541-9C68C105A448_zpsbiyytbwv.jpg

ADCD7DC6-B496-42AA-AA1D-0C48EE4D73F6_zps6wwltttm.jpg

And I added the sink also.
FEF62FF4-0027-4FCF-BD80-93DEC80615A4_zpsokr3atcw.jpg

Still waiting on the pump. But hopefully that will be this weekend.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Slow and steady! Remember you have to make that decision for the 200 or 300. An important rule of thumb is to utilize your space wisely!

GL and keep updating!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Hey I know of this.ccompany I Used to get clear, gallon marked 55g drums. Which I use for my water changes. But i got for a build I'm doing for my dad, I'm using one as a Live Rock upflow tank and one that will be used as a water xhange tank that will be pre plumbed into the system. The main sump with have a water overflow valve at the waterline with a valve to the drain system, so when the water is made and ready to add all I have to do is turn the valve to the drain on and open the valve of the tank and let thw water flush into the live rock tank which will then let pump into the display, as the water from the display overfills the sump it will drain out automatically until its complete .. sofar in theory it seems like it'll work. Maybe something you'd like to think about also.

ricwilli

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Hey I know of this.ccompany I Used to get clear, gallon marked 55g drums. Which I use for my water changes. But i got for a build I'm doing for my dad, I'm using one as a Live Rock upflow tank and one that will be used as a water xhange tank that will be pre plumbed into the system. The main sump with have a water overflow valve at the waterline with a valve to the drain system, so when the water is made and ready to add all I have to do is turn the valve to the drain on and open the valve of the tank and let thw water flush into the live rock tank which will then let pump into the display, as the water from the display overfills the sump it will drain out automatically until its complete .. sofar in theory it seems like it'll work. Maybe something you'd like to think about also.

Can you please explain more on your "Live Rock upflow"

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Little more progress.

Last night I finished the utility sink.
B472CEDC-6E7D-4175-8433-1A1203029E17_zpsrxcdxoc6.jpg

This morning I worked a little more of the stand. And found out that my floor has a low area at the front right corner. It sits about 1/4" off. So a shimming I will go.
2D607BF7-00EC-429C-B8A1-4A55CBD48178_zpsa2c6desq.jpg

Also I picked up the stock tank yesterday and hope to get a couple of 40b's tomorrow to use as a refugium and circulation tank.
More to come later

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: