Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I purchased this tank from Russ in the new year and it finally finished cycling. Here's a preview, and I have a few questions.

Right now I have one MP10 on this tank, thinking of adding another, thoughts?

Also, as you can see, I only have one AI Vega over this tank, do you think I might need another or should I see what happens as time progresses?

The arm for the light over top is a bit long, so I need to cut it so the light is a bit more centered over the tank.

Attachments

• photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 287

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I picked up two beautiful Wyoming clowns a few days ago at manhattan aquariums, they are lively little guys.

About a day after I added them I noticed my nitrites went up to .25, is that common with a newly cycled tank? Its been a while so I can't remember. If so, what is the best way to get them back to zero? I changed five gallons yesterday, the nitrates came down, but the nitrites haven't fallen.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If the nitrites went up, that is an indicator that ammonia went up first. Did you check ammonia?

At this point you need to do a water change to get the ammo/trites down. After the cycle completed, did you feed the bacteria or did the tank sit fallow for awhile?

Russ

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Russ you make a good point. I have been checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every day since I returned and ammonia has not gone up at all. I normally always use Elos test kits but for cycling I used an API master kit as I did with my first tank. Since .25 is the first color is it possible it's a reading between 0 and .25 that the kit cannot distinguish? The fish are eating fine and show no signs of stress.

During the cycle and after the cycle I fed the tank a bit of food every other day so I assume that maintained the bacteria once the shrimp was gone. The nitrates were high but have come down following a large water change and again after a five gallon change.

I'll do another large change tomorrow and see what happens.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@tonyscoots84, I'll probably add another in the near future. I added a strong return pump (sicce syncra 4) and since my return is a single nozzle it provides a lot of flow. I'll probably make that decision once I add coral. And yes, Russ is the man and my mentor, his advice has never steered me wrong.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Awwww shucks guys :eek:

Dustin, the spike you've seen appears to have been a 'mini cycle'. You could possibly wake up tomorrow and see all your levels back to normal. Test it before you do the water change. It's a good idea to know what is happening, even though I'd NEVER say don't do a water change. Ideally, if cost and time weren't a factor, a daily water change is better than once a week.

Also, keep in mind, reducing the return flow to allow more skimmer time while increasing the in-tank flow would once again be ideal.....if cost weren't a factor.

Russ

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time. This morning I reduced the return flow in the tank by more than half. I haven't done a water test yet, but I will soon.

On a side note, lets talk about my skimmer. So far I have gotten no skimmate so I'm concerned that I may have my water level in the skimmer set wrong. I've attached a photo of my skimmer and where my water level is. Let me know your thoughts when you have a moment.

Attachments

• Skim.jpg
    Skim.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 201

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
In the grand scheme of things, the amount of food you're adding is minuscule to the system volume. After you've added some fish, and feeding becomes regular, you might have to do some fine tuning to the skimmer, but that would be expected.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I'd call them at 1 800 847 0659 and ask them what customer service email you can send that picture to. I have no idea what reading that is!! Maybe it's the 'guys are colorblind' thing :banghead:

Russ

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I picked up a second, slightly used MP10 on ebay, got it today. What is good placement for two MP10's? The manual suggests one on the back wall and another on one of the sidewalls. My overflow is in the back left corner, so I feel like you want to direct flow in some way toward the overflow no? Right now I have them on opposite walls, on the left wall, I have one towards the back wall, about 5 inches from water line and on the right side, I have it towards the front panel about 6in from water line.

Last edited:

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, whats the deal with the brown algae in new tanks...why am I getting it? My first tank I had a diatom bloom, and those things would blow off the rocks quite easily, this stuff doesn't blow off.

I'm using RODI water, tank has been completely cycled for a few weeks now. Not using any carbon or GFO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: