iOMIC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on a
Deep Blue 57 rimless RR.

As we all know the center column overflow box is
paaaainfully HUMUNGUS! It actually takes up 7" of Depth!
I though it was half that!
So much for assuming....geezus.

I contacted Deep Blue on what type of compound or resin
I can use that is non toxic, yet strong enough to prevent
any leaks. They advised me it's not recommended.

I saw a thread where someone removed the center column,
but can't seem to find that thread again.

Anyone tackle this project hands on?
Any cons if one were to go ahead and do this?
I'm all ears to any opinions.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I have never removed an overflow box from that particular brand tank, but many others.
Removal is easy, using brand new razor blades, just take your time and do not come any where near the silicone on the bottom and back glass. Once removed, determine what size box you want, and make sure it will be easy to work in, just in case something falls in or gets stuck in their. Go to an store that sells acrylic, and purchase 3 pieces of 1/4" thick acrylic, and the size that you need, if they can have them route out the teeth, 1" depth from the top, and 1/4" radius , and a bottle of weld-on #16 if you never worked with acrylic before, or weld-on #3 if you have. once all is glued together wait 24 hours, then attach the acrylic to the tank with reef safe silicone, you can get a tube from petland. wait 24 hours and test by filling the overflow box only.
here is a sketch you can go by. just alter the HxWxD. but do not alter the depth of the weirs, and the diameter.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The RR and None RR are both advertised as non tempered however there was some that went out with tempered glass. There was a whole thread about it and DB replaced the tank. They can be drilled but you do need to be cautious. The non RR should definitely not be tempered and can definitely be drilled.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
No problem. The end result was hot! I wish I could find the thread for the guy that bought the cracked tank because his overflow box came out awesome. It was nice and slim and really maximized the real estate on that tank. Both were so much nicer than the stock huge overflow

iOMIC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
The bottom of my tank is tempered, but has dual pre-drilled holes already.

I was thinking at first to omit the whole overflow box,
fill in the gap between the hole and the 2 pipes that'll go through it. And then epoxy the pipes with compound and some sorta decoration. But, DP Reps telling me NOT good.

If I go with the thinner overflow box that should be easier.
Just want to be 1000% sure if I go the first route it doesn't
leak.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: