james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
How you like that title! I took the same over the top obsession with cars into my reef hobby on my 120 upgrade. To me, my sump is my V8, and the filtration the supercharger! (And like both, if something can break, it will.)

Little bio on my reef history for those who care: (nothing build related so skip if you want)

I started in this hobby about 3 1/2 years ago around my birthday when I had some extra cash in my pocket and said F*** it! I want a fish tank. I always had freshwater tanks in my room growing up and something about it relaxed me from that. I walked into Aquarium Village and told Rocco to set me up. I walked away with a Eheim 9gallon rimless cube, real reef rock, and sand. I joined MR shortly after. Fast Forward a year and tons of advice on MR, I installed a glass holes overflow, and put a 10 gallon sump on it with a small fuge, BRS dual reactors, Skimmer, and filter floss. I learned a lot from that first tank and RIP to the casualties in the process.

I upgraded to a deep blue 30 gallon rimless cube and that is my current tank. I learned, changed, learned, changed until I found successful balance with the coral and fish and I'm really proud of it. Its pretty much packed out with a mix of SPS, anemones, clams, and some leathers, LPS, and zoas. It is indeed time to upgrade.

***End Rant***

Equipment being transferred from nano:
BRS dual reactor GFO/Carbon
Bubble Magus BM-T01 Dosing pump
Kalk King Dosing system for Kalk & ATO
Full Apex controller plus add ons
2X MP10W es (for frag tank)

New Equipment:
Perfecto single overflow 120
125 6" tank converted into sump
2X Jabeo DC12000
2X Jabeo WP40
1X Jabeo DC6000
American DJ power strip
LifeReef SV3-30" Skimmer with Mazzei Venturi and 8"collection cup
Waste collection cup
48" ATI PowerMod T5 8 bulb
2X 7" Filter socks
BRS Pukani Dry Rock
Custom stand and canopy

My plans are to keep mainly SPS, with some acans, clams, and some NPS corals such as sun coral, and Dendros.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
UPDATE

rgxhmw.jpg

my closet I'm using in my bedroom behind tank
vameqe3u.jpg

attic on the left bedroom on the right

8y2edahy.jpg

Last edited:

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I built the canopy custom to fit the ATI fixture. I would have liked to use some sort of pulley system but there's always time for upgrades later on.

shout out to "Dace," another active MR reefer for selling me the ATI fixture as well as advice.

I went ahead and replaced the fans on the unit. I can't even hear them running now.

adupegys.jpg

qubumu4e.jpg

a7ehunup.jpg
dy3yse3a.jpg
ajamemy3.jpg
evyny8a2.jpg

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am going to buy some latex paint for the walls around the sump today, I should have done this before installing everything but oh well.

I need to think about ventilation. Could I use a exhaust fan for bathrooms and showers? They are made for humid air so I think that would work best. I will vent into the attic and out through a whirlybird.

Any recommendations?

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
I am going to buy some latex paint for the walls around the sump today, I should have done this before installing everything but oh well.

I need to think about ventilation. Could I use a exhaust fan for bathrooms and showers? They are made for humid air so I think that would work best. I will vent into the attic and out through a whirlybird.

Any recommendations?

I used a bathroom fan and exhausted it to the outside, it works great

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I will drill the elbow on the fuge thx.

I changed the fans because they were pretty crudded up with dust and creep. I will post a pic of which fans and where I got them. they were cheap and easy to swap out. If yours are noisy I would change them out mine are close to silent

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
married? man I just got out of college hah Iv been with the queen for 6 years though.

When she asked for a ring, I did the rational thing... I got her a yorkie puppy, got out of that one for another year or so.

Question: I ordered black Fusion spray paint for the plumbing but didn't want to wait the week to get it so I glued everything anyway. Can I still spray the plumbing after its been glued? Im worried the spray paint will mess with the pvc glue on the fittings.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: