pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Looks great Hannah. Regarding the MP 10's you can open the controller case and the cord that connects to the pump is on an easy quick disconnect. Pop it off, thread your cord, reattach the wire and close the case I think there is a video on the Eco Tech site that shows how to do this.

Ah Ha! Thank you Randy!
I have often wondered about how people got their vortech controllers to fit through/over/or under.
I have a master plan that involves mounting them inside the tank support stand, but it also involves going to Ikea to exchange a part - which no sane person would do anytime before January, so it may not happen.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
What are the dimension needed for the water tank? I'm using this one; I just cut the threaded opening off with a dremel:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CINB42/?tag=reefs04-20

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't have that much room.

What would be perfect is this thing - the Barker Tote Along
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B61TP8/?tag=reefs04-20

But it's not rated for potable water and I think that would be a problem. Things designed for the sewer are probably made out of scary toxic plastics.

If anyone knows where I can find a low/flat liquid container - please let me know.

in that case I would use a Nutri-Sea Water jug

but I don't think it will fit underneath your tank

That's what I'm using now.

It looks lovely sitting in the middle of my living room :grumpy:

Looks awesome PJ

Thanks Tony. It's slow going, but every day something small gets done.

I think the faux hood makes a huge difference.
I love the look of the open top tank, but the light-spill was killing me.

Next, I'm going to try to deal with the cramped mess that is my sump.
It would be easier with a skimmer that has a smaller footprint, but it works well, so I'm just going to have to plan around it.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Let there be light!

25i3o11.jpg

I'm sure everybody knows this, but it's a real pain to put lights in your stand AFTER you've got water in the sump. It is also a giant pain in the @** to not be able to see anything in your sump.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I haven't posted in forever because basically nothing happened to this tank. I didn't add any corals, I didn't change anything, I just kind of let it ride.

I was out of town on and off last year and the tank developed a pretty bad red slime problem that it took me a while to get rid of so it wasn't until very recently that I even thought about starting to get some coral in here.
I brought back a couple of nice pieces from the swap and set them in the sand to acclimate. I've been checking in every day like a little kid to see how everything is doing and make sure all the pieces are settling in ok.
So as I'm peering into the tank last night, what do I see? It's my pom pom crab that I saved from the dregs of my tank after it crashed. The poor thing lost it's pom poms in the chemical disaster that occurred and has been waving it's little bare claws around for the past two years.
But now? It's got pom poms! Wow! Cool! But where did it get pom poms?
I take a closer look. WTH? In a totally bare tank, with just a few frags in the sand, the crab has managed to get a hold of two majanos and is using them as pom poms.

I have taken out every rock in the tank and checked it, and looked at every frag, and I can't find any sign of any more of them. But what do you do when you've got a crab running around waving majanos all over the place?

The fun never ends does it?

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v9.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2i8j0gy&s=9" height="420" width="440">

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: