MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Ick vs bacteria ?

Hello gentermen and ladies, please help. Want to hear from you guys what you think on this subject! I do not know it all.

First, So far I have remove all my fishes from my 80 gal reef tank and place all my fish in a small bear bottom quarantine tank with a heated, skimmer, with the some of the same water from main tank. First day I added some Melafix as per instruction. 2nd day I did a water change 25% and added Melafix and super ick cure and that's where we are at today. I have feed my fish in the pass spectrum marine fish food which I think is the best in the market with some Kent marine liquid Garlic Xtreme. And I'm feeding them that once more.

Calcium 440 ppm
Nitrite. 0.0 ppm
PH. 8.4 ppm
Nitrate. 0.5.ppm to 10 ppm. ( dead fish 4)
Ammonia. 0.0. Ppm
Alkalinity KH 9 dkh 161.1 gh/KH
SG. 1.024 Sg/ 31 ppt
Temp. 80 degrees
Phosphate. 0.00

Question 1) could it be possible that when I change the food to whole frozen
mysis shrimp, brine shrimp instead of my regular feeding that could have course this or could it have been new fish I introduce to the tank but did not look like they where sick and I ask the guy at the store to feed them and they where ok. By the way those fishes I perchase die and the ones that are left are my reg fishes. Lost 4 new fish?

2) look at some pic on line and compare them to my clown fish and they look the same marking but I could be wrong. I'm not a fish doc. Looks like ick they say. I never have this problem before and been in the hobby for many years, but there a first time for everything. Have readed on lots of things to do. What would you do if it was you?

2) what do you think about using Melafix together with Super Ick Cure both API products.
Please all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You MikesReef.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Tanks

It looks like ich to me also i would remove the fish and set up a qt tank. First lesson i learned in this hobby qt everything
I did that already just wanted to know your opinion. That is why I give everybody a lot of info. You know about being a reefer there is always something you don't know about. it a life time experience!

MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
New Up Date right from the company API

Compatibility with other aquarium products
MelaFix can be used with any Aquarium Pharmaceuticals water-conditioning product including Stress Coat?, Ammo-Lock?2, and Tap Water Conditioner. MelaFix does not interfere with water quality test kits. MelaFix can be used in conjunction with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Super Ick Cure?, Fungus Cure?, and General Cure?.

MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
New Up Date important for all Reefers

Right from the company API :tank: Don't play with me now!

:tank:Compatibility with other aquarium products
MelaFix can be used with any Aquarium Pharmaceuticals water-conditioning product including Stress Coat?, Ammo-Lock?2, and Tap Water Conditioner. MelaFix does not interfere with water quality test kits. MelaFix can be used in conjunction with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Super Ick Cure?, Fungus Cure?, and General Cure?.

MikesReef

Bread Of Life
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
3rd Day and everything is looking good,

3rd day and all is looking fine. It Works! My fishes are all eating and moving around fine.

To all those whom go through this and do not know if they have Ick or something like a disease. Don't brake your head. Treat them for both it won't hurt. What I do recommend is to do it in a treatment tank not your main tank if you are a reefer, because copper will and I mean will kill all your coral, and any invertebrates. That's because of the Super. Ick Cure has copper.

The Melafix in the other hand can be use in the Main tank to treat and remove parasitic flatworms,also it controls bacterial infections, and tissue degradation on wild corals. This stuff is great for Reefers.

Remember very important: Ick and some infections will not be seen and gone within 4 to 5 days . That does not mean is over you must keep your main tank without any fish because you now have to play the waiting game because the Ick has to die and it takes about 4 to 6 weeks by a process call Starving them!
Then you can put your fish back into the tank.
Theses are my finding hope it with help one of my follow reefers if they ever come across this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: