Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Hey MR, so I broke down my 120g about a year ago thinking I was done with the hobby and I recently started getting saltwater withdrawals lol. I decided I wanted to get back in but on a different scale. I didn't want a tiny tank that would limit me to what I can keep and I didn't want a big tank that I would have to spend all my free time doing maintenance on. I came to a sweet compromise with JBJ's 45g rimless aquarium. It's large enough that I'll be able to keep my favorite marine fish and corals yet small enough that I won't have to kill myself maintaining it. I ordered the tank and stand from Dr Foster and Smiths and after two failed deliveries (UPS dropped off boxes of smashed glass) my 3rd tank arrived today in one piece. I have to say Dr F&S customer service was excellent! And they even gave me a juicy store credit for my troubles and failures of UPS. I set the tank up today and I used 40lbs of caribsea Fiji pink sand and just under 50lbs of dry rock from the Reef Rock Store. To keep things warm I'm using a 150w finnex titanium heater and for extra water movement I'm using the Jebao RW4 pump. For lighting I'll be using the AI Hydra 26, just waiting for it to arrive. I included some pics but the water is still cloudy since it's only been about 2hrs since I finished setting it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 707

eazy al

onyxx owner
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Set up looks kool lenny. What fishes are u putting in the tank?? Are you going to put a screan on top?? You should I had a $500 bali picassos when they were still new in the states .I found him on the floor around 2am.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Set up looks kool lenny. What fishes are u putting in the tank?? Are you going to put a screan on top?? You should I had a $500 bali picassos when they were still new in the states .I found him on the floor around 2am.

Thanks Al, when the tank is cycled my first additions will be a pair of Onyx clowns and a blocky anthias, not sure what else as far as fish. That sucks about your Bali picasso, they are beautiful fish :(. The tank came with two glass tops that cover the display section and keeps the filiter area uncovered so you still get good gas exchange, I'll be keeping them on since I to have lost fish do to jumping in the past.

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hey what's going on I saw the sale on Drfostersmith how do you feel about the tank I was interested in ordering it...I'm also new to the hobby so it's seems cool that it's reef ready

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Hey what's going on I saw the sale on Drfostersmith how do you feel about the tank I was interested in ordering it...I'm also new to the hobby so it's seems cool that it's reef ready

Honestly I think it's a great tank for the price, lots of room in the display and in the back filter area and with the two return pumps it also has good flow. Also at the time I ordered it I also got a $110 gift certificate with it so you really can't beat it. The only thing I don't care for is the stand, it looks nice but it seems weak and a little bit shaky, looking to have a new one built for it. Also becarful with the shipping, UPS are savages and broke the first two that were sent.

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Lol oh yeah I know about UPS they are pretty bad I guess if I do get the tank I'll just order the tank alone...every tank and stand combo read about people always complain about the stands

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Here's a pic from this morning, tank is starting to clear up nice. I also started using DR Tims ammonia chloride for fish less cycle, so far it's working great! It's day 2 and I already have 2ppm of ammonia in the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 333

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
My new AI Hydra 26 came today and I will be mounting it to the new stand with the AI EXT tank mount soon. Also the cycle is coming Along good, test are already showing some nitrite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 296

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: