Rating - 100%
391   0   0
So I was in the process of doing an upgrade to a 220 tank. It was a nice tank, starfire front glass, drilled with rear overflow. I was all set to start the stand but didn't love the tank. I wanted a little wider but didn't want to go down the road of a custom tank or do a 300DD. Figured I want to do the upgrade right the first time for what it will take to move tanks.

Well fast forward. In doing some research I found the DSA Pro 225 is 72 x 27 x 27. I currently have a DSA 100 (selling) and I am very pleased with the quality of it, nice beveled glass, Stand is nice and made a custom canopy to fit the lights better.

So I will be making a custom stand for this - still deciding on which direction I am going, but looking for a nice furniture quality stand to showcase the tank.

I think I am going bare bottom, I have all the rock I need.

Lights I have a 60" ATI 6 bulb and going to combine that with the 4 Kessil 350W I have and some moon lights. I am planning (4) MP-40 wes should be good. Return pump is a Hammerhead so plenty of flow.

My sump room was designed and built already for the upgrade so I am good there.

Exciting times!
Here is my build list

NEW TANK IN PROCESS

DSA 225 Pro Tank
Custom DIY Stand
4 - MP40Wes
60" ATI 6 bulb T-5
(2) AI Hydra's
Apex- EB8, WXM,ALD

This is the tank it is replacing
DSA 100 Gallon Pro Set up as a Reef Tank - Wood Stand and Canopy
Power Heads - (2) MP40Wes
Lighting - DIY T5 and (2) Kessil 350W
Apex - EB8, Display, VDM, WXM and ALD

This is all in the sump room
Display Tank # 2- Grow Out tank

75 Gallon Drilled with custom overflow box
(2) AI Sol Blue Led's
(2) 48" T5 with Blue+ bulbs
(2) Tunze Controllable Wavemakers
Controlled by VDM

Tank # 3 - Frag Tank
Deep Blue 30G Frag tank
Lighting - AI -Sol Blue
MP-10Wes Powerhead

Sump Room
Custom 90 Gallon Sump with triple 7" filter sock holder
Reeflo Hammerhead Hybrid Gold Pump (runs DT and 75)
Reeflo Dart Hybrid Gold Pump - runs all accessories, fuge, frag and skimmer
JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/4 HP
Skimmer - Reeflo Orca 250
Reef Octopus CR140 Calcium Reactor
Avast GFO Reactor
GEO Kalk Reactor Hooked up with a stand alone dosing pump
GHL Profilux Dosing pump with Slave
SpectraPure Ultra-Precise Auto Top Off
Reef Dynamics BPR135E Bio-Pellet reactor
CO2 reactor as sump is in boiler room and was having some low PH issues
APEX - EB8 - PM1 - PM2 - ALD- Display - with PH, ORP, Salinity & Temp Probes

Refugium
40B gallon refugium - With T5 grow lights - Deep sand bed

Quarantine System
20L Gallon QT Tank - HOB Filter - Deep Blue Led cover

Water System
BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Got the upgrade kit to make 150gpd
Hooked up to do semi/auto water changes.
Salt water mixing stations includes 2 - 100 Gallon water containers - hooked up with gate valves and a little giant pump to do the mixing.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Got the frame built.

uploadfromtaptalk1443463705645.jpg

Going to trim it out like this

uploadfromtaptalk1443463773420.jpeg

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
So I have a new plan with my lighting. I am still going to do a T5 Led combo, but setting it up a little different.

I am running the 60" 6 bulb ATI front center. Mounted dead center behind the T5 will be a Sol blue. Then I am using (2) Kessil 350W' left and right of the T5.

I figure I get the best of all worlds. The growing and color from the T5, the shimmer from the kessils and then the SOL will be hooked up to apex for sunrise and sunset and moonlights.

Good news is I have all those lights. The Sol blue is NIB and have an extra VDM. The 2 kessils will come from my 100 and the ATI T5 I scored 2 months ago.

tommys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been debating this for a few weeks also on my new build. I am still waiting for new tank. I have decided to go bare bottom or may put a piece of white starboard on the bottom. I like shallow sand beds but hate vacuuming them.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
So got some more done on the stsnd. Back is on. Got the top cut. Ordered the wood for sides and front. Going with red Oak.

Did a 50 gallon water change in the morning, took the skanky water from the rocks I'm curing out and added the 50 gallons from the water change to that.

uploadfromtaptalk1445049468882.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445049482326.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445049512534.jpguploadfromtaptalk1445049525711.jpg

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Off to a great build. Your sump room is well planned and ready down the road to handle an even bigger upgrade again at a later date. Regarding your question about going bare bottom, I would still use starboard over the bottom of the tank. In the event that a rock or heavy rocks would fall, you have some protection.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: