Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This build has been in the pipeline since last year. I picked up the tank about a year ago and wanted to do it right away... and then i had the bright idea of moving. After much negotiations with the roommate aka my girl friend, we mutually decided i can set it up when we get our place. THEN i realized just how much less money i would have post move lol. little put away here and there and here we are. Some of the parts come from my current 29g. Thanks to those who made this happen!

Any kind of criticism, tips or information are more than welcome :thrash:

Tank: Oceanic 57g Rimless
Tank Stand: Custom made by The Reef Shoppe
Heater: 150w (Forgot brand)
Skimmer: Will recycle my SCA-301 for the moment. (Will upgrade to the Bubble Magus Curve 5 at a later date)
Return Pump: Jabeo DCT-6000
Sump: 20g Long Aqueon with custom Acrylic Baffles. Drain/Skimmer -> Return -> Refugium
Flow: Two RW-4's plus 2 return nozzles
Lighting: ReefBreeders Photon 24" (may retrofit 2 T5's with White and Coral Plus)
Reactors: Will be fed through a custom manifold
RO/DI: Reusing my 75GPD unit from when i started this hobby
Rock: 30lbs of BRS Reef Saver + 20 lbs of whats currently inside the 29.
Sand: Fiji Pink from The Reef Shoppe

The Set up: I unfortunatly have no game plan at this point :lol2:. Luckily enough, i have the space to run both tanks simultaneously for about a month. After a month, i have to tear down the 29g or move out...:teeth:

Pictures to come later tonight or tomorrow!

:thrash::thrash::thrash::thrash::thrash:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Sounds like its going to be an awesome set up!

If you havent ordered the BRS rock, you may want to check out the rock from pet solutions. 50 lbs for 69.99. pretty sweet price.

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Here are some pictures to lead into the build this weekend.
This was my original stand, which was over built, but i dont know how to skin, and i wasnt willing to bet the tank on my shotty construction. To prove my point, i completely forgot to secure one post entirely.
8A82464E-35AA-43B2-BD41-57ADAEBBDD19_zpsj32xtgcl.jpg

Decided to shop around and The Reef Shoppe made this beauty for me. Above it is the 20g L, just waiting for the baffles to arrive:
F2930F5D-3FC0-4073-901E-A8FA307BFDDE_zpscj3hi0s4.jpg

Now, for a question. I want to use this CK Sock holder and have been tinkering with the layout. I kind of wanted it like a lot of sumps are doing now which forms a circle: Drain>Skimmer>Refugium> Return. But with this configuration, as it is right now, would it work? Skimmer to the left, Refugium to the right which will be fed by manifold. Or would the skimmer not get much flow?
48E6D2DE-B488-4ECB-826C-0018D2B3FE4F_zpsuafjrodo.jpg

and finally, here is the manifold im building
21124E63-7CE8-4FB7-BC44-1044C79A41DA_zpsxbjgrfak.jpg

suggestions?

Last edited:

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So i'm here minding my own business at work, when i get a call saying my baffles are in!
One quick run to the front desk and my sump is ready to get started!! Week and a half turnaround time, not bad since its from texas! THANKS MELV'S REEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely Packaged:
B3A200AD-FCB2-4A08-A0D9-3F37F4BDC4EC_zpsdf6y6fem.jpg

Wish they could stay blue, but im not complaining! 7"inch baffles for the bubble trap 9" for the refugium
CEC538EE-C365-441B-A367-3EE5B35D05FA_zps7ehktggf.jpg

http://melevsreef.com/

Last edited:

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
here is what the sump is gonna look like. Refugium should hold about 4g of water. I wish i could make it bigger but the CK Sock holder takes up a lot of space plus enough space for the BM Curve 5 (7.5")

From the front:
061116CE-204B-45CD-A7E5-39ACA595F4BE_zpsguguo9fx.jpg

From Above:
7944C025-7A0D-4645-ADB9-0C17B707990E_zpszswe73g7.jpg

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Update

Your teasing everyone with these pics lol.

i wish i could do more than tease. This weekends plans got derailed due to my jigsaw going Kapoot. Finally had time on Sunday to Queens to "Borrow" my fathers.:teeth: Didnt even get to go to Reef Shoppe to buy the sand because, well i got lazy lol.

Today's plans though are to cut the hole for the plumbing and to cut the hole to fit the sump into the cabinet. After all that, i need to complete the sump. I have 2/3 of the bubble trap baffles in place. Ran out of silicone :arg: Need to make sure all is sealed and cured.

Timetable as it stands:
Monday: Complete holes on cabinet / Complete Sump / Paint back of tank
Tuesday: Place dried and cured sump and begin plumbing
Wednesday: Plumbing Continued / 12 hr Leak Test / Pump Testing/ Cable Management
Thursday: Glue all Plumbing down / Misc
Friday/Saturday: Leave tank alone to allow time to cure
Sunday: Day1 of Cycle

If all goes well, this tank will finally be wet on Sunday.
hallelujer.jpg

Last edited:

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
PLUMBING WHY MUST YOU BE SUCH AN @#!@$#%#$%@@%$#%$%@$#&***#$%*&#%^^%&&^*^&&$#%^

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

:supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad: :supermad:

...okay back to work....

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
lol, 6 months later and she is finally 100% complete!
57g Oceanic Rimless
20g Sump
TRS made Stand
40lbs of Live Rock
40lbs of Sand
24" Photon LED light
2x RW-4 Jebao PH
DC 6000 Jebao Return Pump
2x BRS Reactors (1 GFO, 1 Carbon)

Went to TRS this weekend (Thanks Casey) and picked up a Clown Goby and a Long Fin Fairy Wrasse. Will pick up a few more wrasses and need to put a lid on the tank too lol

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
woke up this morning to look at the reef... my 'nem is on the prowl :banghead: Did a quick search for him and nuffin... i havent glued anything down as i was expecting thsi though, but still... i hope i dont find him on top of a PH just waiting to jump in like a game of doubledutch

Clink51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
still got more work to do, i also plan on playing with my click and shoots white balancing so i can get more pics, all of these were done on the iphone 5s

FTS while floating the Wrasse and the YCG:
IMG_6669_zpskwd0od4f.jpg

FTS
IMG_6704_zps3dgnq3pw.jpg

YCG with over saturated blue background (I liked the contrast lol)
IMG_6674_zps0s5ipqbp.jpg

Before i started using a red gel
IMG_6687_zpsnkydhjoh.jpg

After the red gel filter (Arnaldo24 gave this to me over a year ago and found it)
Can someone ID this for me?
IMG_6688_zpskyhy7ut3.jpg

Can Someone ID this for me as well?
IMG_6691_zps5k4ptrgj.jpg

Acan picked up from Cherry Corals at the Swap
IMG_6692_zpstedu0psk.jpg

Acan (ID Please)
IMG_6694_zps6tzegabk.jpg

Acan (ID PLEASE)
[IMG}http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w578/Heylookitsclink/Lady%20Of%20The%20Sea/IMG_6692_zpstedu0psk.jpg[/IMG]

ID Please?
IMG_6701_zpsg9jrgkaf.jpg

Blasto Wellsi
IMG_6723_zpszdwxaohr.jpg

ID Please:
IMG_6700_zpszq2jvqbx.jpg

Goblin's Fire (I THINK)
IMG_6721_zpsbu25c9kk.jpg

Jokers and Super Saiyans
IMG_6720_zpsebgymcpf.jpg

No Names, ID PLEASE. Got them from Pops a long time ago
IMG_6718_zpstltk55ul.jpg

Alpha and Omegas:
IMG_6729_zpsqvsnaohv.jpg

My Zoa Rock (What are those Green ones on the left?)
IMG_6702_zpsxo0y93oa.jpg

Rainbow Ric and Yellow Ric
IMG_6706_zpsb45mb9fr.jpg

Candy Canes
IMG_6699_zpsslijkc3j.jpg.html

GBTA before it moved with his Clown
IMG_6731_zpsfvhnjqkd.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: