Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My youngest daughter came out to see the tank this morning and my wife tells me she said she thought it looked beautiful and that she loved the bridge and caves I made... Made my day!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Now that all of the ditritus I stirred up SEVERAL hundred times while I was cleaning up the sand has settled out of the tank and into the new filter sock I put in I decided to change the filter sock. It must weigh about 5 pounds more than usual! Water is crystal clear.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
buy yourself a bottle of cheap vodka add 1 cap full(bottle cap) a day in the morning and 1 at night and i guarantee in 2 weeks time you will be pleasantly surprised at the results the algae just disappears.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just made the algae "disappear" with about 40 hours of hard labor. LOL

I have not tried vodka dosing, wanted to read up a little more on it. As well as Lanthanum Chloride. My system is small enough where I should need to do either if I don't slack off on basic maintenance. But I still need to read up on both...

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
To give an idea of just how bad the hair algae was:

5595ceed69a805999a567f1b169122d2.jpg

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Latest tank parameters:

Alkalinity 9.9
Calcium 460
Phosphates .09

Need to change out my phosban media and add carbon. Alk seems a little high.

Added an Australian bright orange and blue plate coral.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hair algae is starting to grow back in certain spots... So I bought another circulation pump, a kole tang and 10 scarlet hermit crabs.

In addition, I had my Magnesium tested (my test expired) and surprisingly, my Mg is low! I have changed over 100% of my water over the past 3 weeks. The only thing I can think of is that the batch of Instant Ocean I am using has low Mg. So, bought ESV B-Ionic Magnesium and I have to does 1200ml of the stuff. Will be doing it over a period of 4 days.

Oh, Phosphates are down to .04!

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
buy yourself a bottle of cheap vodka add 1 cap full(bottle cap) a day in the morning and 1 at night and i guarantee in 2 weeks time you will be pleasantly surprised at the results the algae just disappears.

That much in a 40b is way too much.... Plus you need to build to your maintenance dose rather then dumping 2 cap fulls in recklessly. I only dose 1.4ml into my 40b and thats my daily dose. At the peak of my dosing i was only upto 3.9ml.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Right now I have gotten my Phosphates down to .04. This is down .05 points. But we did discover that my Magnesium is very low. I bought a Salifert kit and it is coming back even low than it did at the store! After dosing 200ml so far of B-Ionic Magnesium I am getting my Magnesium as 1080ppm!!!

I will be continuing to dose Mg until I reach 1400ppm.

Also added 10 scarlet hermits and a kole tang. The tang is busy nipping at the rock all day. Hermits are busy picking at rock and sand. Hopefully with me attacking this from every possible angle (including manually removing any hair algae I see) it will resolve itself fully in a couple of weeks.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i said it before and ill say it again. dose hydrogen peroxide. my reccomendation doesnt come from something i read, but from experiance. i still once a week dose. helps keep orp levels up as well. more then likely your rock is leaching and causing your problem with the hair aglea.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Mg is now at 1370ppm, by tonight it will be at 1450ppm.

Kole tang and anthias are both happy. Tang has been picking at the rock and the hermits have been busy as well. Overall, looks like stuff is turning around! I will post some photos later.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
Hope to see more pics of the tank soon. I started up my 40 gal Nuvo in January and it has taken about 5 months to fully cycle and kill off all of the GHA. Worst I've ever dealt with the stuff was so long I could yank it right out with the roots lol. All is good now best of luck with it slow and patient wins the race.

Also increasing MG will not necessarily kill off the HA. People say it's something in kents magnesium that kills it off hopefully you're using that brand of Mg.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I added a 2nd hydor, the smallest one. Also been spending lots of time going after the small patches of hair algae that show up. Corals are doing great. My acro frags have started extending their polyps.

I will post some photos as soon as I clean the glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: