Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Nice video and tank !!!!
I am assuming that the 220 gal tank is 6' long ....(x 24" x 29" h)?

Out of curiosity how many fish do you have in there?

I have a 215 DT and came to the conclusion that I would need 5 Radions to adequately light the tank for SPS.....or 4 x Mitras LX7206. I personally could not afford either of those (in that quantity) so I use 2 x Reefbreeders Photon 32 V2+ units in conjunction with 4 x 80 watt T5's.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by editour2 View Post
Nice video and tank !!!!
I am assuming that the 220 gal tank is 6' long ....(x 24" x 29" h)?

Out of curiosity how many fish do you have in there?

I have a 215 DT and came to the conclusion that I would need 5 Radions to adequately light the tank for SPS.....or 4 x Mitras LX7206. I personally could not afford either of those (in that quantity) so I use 2 x Reefbreeders Photon 32 V2+ units in conjunction with 4 x 80 watt T5's.
Thanks boss, I appreciate that. So to address your first question, yes the tank is your standard 6 feet and 24 deep x 29H.

So the lights in the tank when I shot this video was a 60 inch 6 bulb t5 along with 4 acan LED lights. Since than I got 4 Radions. 1 for the office 60 gallon tank and 3 on the main display. I'm not sure who told you you need 5 radions for a 215 but the best test is by getting a PAR meter and testing the PAR that you would need for your SPS. WWC likes to have their radions up high (22 inches off water) so they get better spread in the overall tank. I say that because you would have to consider that too. That being said, I am looking to rent a PAR meter soon so I can properly gauge where my par is at and if I need to get a 4th radion for my system.

Regarding the fish in the tank - I had a lot ha like a lot. I had about over 40 fish in 300 gallon water volume. Now if you ask me that is a lot! I was going 30% weekly water changes, dosing Vinegar and have a pretty kick *** skimmer. My thought process has totally changes since I had my more recent cyano outbreak

I decided to cut down on all the tangs which I recently sold so I can bring in one very special fish! Video to some soon

I also decided to keep a few wrasses in my office grow out tank and find the clown fish a new home because they were getting large enough that they were also producing a good amount of bio.

That's the plan for now! New video of the tank to come soon because that last one was shot in July. Thanks for looking!
Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Regarding the # of Radions/Mitras for a 72" tank....the consensus came from individuals who own both fixtures....I was/am following threads on RC for both of those lights. See Sanjay's tank....multiple Radions on his tank and Slief's tank on RC (he used both and now uses the Mitras). It really does have to do with PAR but also....coverage and lack of shadowing. The Orphek lights are pretty interesting as well.

I can't afford either LOL but am happy with my setup.

Again, great tank and look forward to the new video.

Last edited by editour2; 11-02-2018 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Looks good bro
Old 11-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Thatguy96
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by editour2 View Post
Regarding the # of Radions/Mitras for a 72" tank....the consensus came from individuals who own both fixtures....I was/am following threads on RC for both of those lights. See Sanjay's tank....multiple Radions on his tank and Slief's tank on RC (he used both and now uses the Mitras). It really does have to do with PAR but also....coverage and lack of shadowing. The Orphek lights are pretty interesting as well.

I can't afford either LOL but am happy with my setup.

Again, great tank and look forward to the new video.

Like they say, if it ain’t broke! Don’t fix it. Thanks boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Thatguy96
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliethetuna88 View Post
Looks good bro

Thanks Charlie! I hope to get out to your place soon so I can buy a few frags to grow out in this tank.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Thatguy96
Send a Private Message

The crazy drives (2 hours on the belt parkway lol) we take to get a special coral lol. Let’s hear about some of your craziest road trips for a coral or fish.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (57 (100%)
Friends: (66)
Send a Private Message
Really looking good!
P.S. I won’t tell anyone what that special fish is until you post a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump
Old 11-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Thatguy96
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE NY View Post
Really looking good!
P.S. I won’t tell anyone what that special fish is until you post a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (57 (100%)
Friends: (66)
Send a Private Message
I’ve seen the fish and the pic is coming folks .... it’s a beauty!

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump