Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Spartanwarrior is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username Invalid View Post
Alkalinity monitor…awesome let me know how you like it.
will do Jay. Real excited for this Alkatronic. Didn't need to buy the new APEX for theirs to help control and Jonas is awesome at answering questions, providing feedback and seems to know what the hell he's doing, all for a nice price and compact unit.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:00 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (61 (98%)
Friends: (56)
vio is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by username invalid View Post
alkalinity monitor…awesome let me know how you like it.
+1
Old 12-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Leak Test was a success. Over 5 days holding water with a powerhead and heater so it doesn't freeze in my coldish garage (besides me overfilling it at the beginning haha rookie mistake) Seams look great. No bowing.

Tank, for the price, is a nice piece. Not a showstopper at all. A good major upgrade tank with solid bones but ugly silicone work near the overflow. All in all, I'm happy because I can hide the ugliness with my cabinet/in-wall build. For the price, I was looking for a stable tank, not a Coast 2 Coast pristine 1% tank.

My contractor is ready to start moving on building the stand. Going with solid 2x4s (as seen in pic) and a sturdy construction instead of steel. I believe I am making an economical choice.

Leak test on the sump was also a success. This Ice Cap 48XL is a beast. Beautiful design for the contemporary reefer. 2 1" drains will be increased in size to 1.5" to match my overflow. Those overflow into 3 4" socks, underneath to a dual split to either the refugium or the skimmer compartment. Includes a 15Gallon ATO reservoir!!! All for under $550. Can't beat it. Coralvue has been great replacing a cracked lid and screw for the water level plate, damaged upon shipping.

Moving along, slowly but surely.

Rock curing is a pain in the *** btw. So many things I would do to make this easier ie drains on the Brutes. But I did add GFO and a HOB to both containers and I see the diatoms starting to decrease a bit. Ammonia levels still present.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Almost 3 weeks of curing 2 separate batches of rock. The batch with the Large pukani pieces are almost ammonia free. The 2nd batch, not so much. On to battling a diatom bloom. Odd, its covered to allow for ZERO light. That is the batch with GFO running. 1st batch has charcoal and sponge filters. If only I had a control batch and I'd have a nice experiment going...

Will resume 5 day water changes on the 2nd batch. Slowing down 1st batch to biweekly.

Contractor is slated to start demo and framing on the 18th. Fingers crossed.

Will move my current tank about 7 feet over to allow for construction (taking out 60% water, sump and moving on pads) Wish me luck there. Last time I moved I moved 7 towns over. I'm more nervous moving 7 feet this time around haha
Attached Thumbnails