Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Spartanwarrior is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Long Island 187G Room Dividing Peninsula Eurobraced Community Reef Tank

My Christmas Miracle Present to Myself!

So I'm in the process of upgrading from my 5+ year old (3yrs in my possession) 65G to a 187G custom eurobraced glass peninsula tank. I thought I'd share my build with the community here A - because I'm super excited and giddy B - because I'm super nervous I'm going to screw something up and looking for any & all advice C - because I'm a huge nerd - did I mention I'm excited?

The tank is being custom made with 1/2" glass panels (not starphire).
Dimensions 60Lx30Wx24H. Built in custom overflow 30" Wide, plumbed with 2 1.5" drains and 2 1" returns. Plan on plumbing a Herbie.
Built by a friend of a friend. I looked everywhere for this baby. Coast to Coast, TankMe, Glass Cages, etc etc...My guy is doing amazing work so far and very glad I won't be shelling out $2500+ for it. He will also be making a custom acrylic sump (48Lx20Wx16H) and 15G custom ATO container.

The plan is to have it divide 2 rooms in my house, with one side having a cabinet/canopy combo and the other side being a picture frame viewing window. I included a picture to convey my ultimate plan for the layout. Contractors are currently in the process of building up quotes for this massive endeavor.

I started this thread because I just received my first progress picture! And pickup is the Saturday after Thanksgiving!

Now on to cure some BRS Live Pukani and Fiji rock...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Second Update

Started the process of curing my live rock. Going with a mixture of BRS Pukani and Fiji. Bought around 200lbs. At last count, I am using around 130 of it. Nice large pieces as 2 islands, tons of caves and bridges, and lots of open space for growth. Really like how the aquascape turned out.

Scrubbed the crap out of each and every piece, removed dead sponges and such with chisels, powerwashed again and then tagged each and every piece according to the placement I had mapped out previously with zip ties and plastic tags from Amazon. The tags, while tedious, will be abundantly helpful when I'm ready to place into the DT. Also, took a picture of each piece for reference. Tags are holding up well to the salt water.

Using 2 30G rubbermaids for the curing process, and a 44G Brute to transfer everything into and keep wet while I change out the water. Using a phosban reactor to remove PO4, along with Lanthanum Chloride to remove free-floating PO4 before its absorbed by rocks. Seems to be working rather well, and have done a ton of research on the method.
I have 3 pumps and 2 heaters running 24/7.
Its a pain to make upwards of 50G of RODI salt water every week or so, and drain the rubbermaids, but all in the name of successful reefing.

Picking up the tank Sunday, my new IceCap 48XL sump arrives Tuesday, and picked up a Varios 8 return pump at over 35%off retail. Thank you, Black Friday!

Tank and sump pictures to follow.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-26-2017, 02:21 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (61 (98%)
Friends: (56)
vio is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looks good.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
Looks good.
thanks Vio. I know you're a man to look to for advice. I just posted another thread on the silicone job on the new tank. Could you check my post out and respond? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
thomashtom is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Looking good good luck
Old 11-28-2017, 10:50 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Thank you, Tom. Gotta talk with you on the UV one of these days. Still interested just doing a bit more research.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
I have the tank in my possession. I have a few qualms about it (bubbling along some eurobracing seams, a missing eurobrace, some unclean silicone). Most issues will be addressed shortly, but for the price and with some good cabinet construction, I can hide the impurities. Leak test will begin after the brace is completed. And I have about 98% of the equipment. Just waiting on a few quotes from a few aquarium contractors for the in-wall portion of the build.

As I wait, I'll begin to list some of the more important equipment I've gathered over the months

280LBS Caribsea Bimini Pink sand
~160LBs BRS Pukani and Fiji Live rock (still curing)

Skimmer - Super Reef Octopus 5000INT (new)
Sump - Ice Cap 48XL with 15G ATO chamber, refugium, 3x 4" socks, probe and tube holders - a few small issues here (cracked lid, cracked screw holding up water level adjuster) - bought through Amazon, so that's a plus.
Alkatronic Alkalinity Monitor - so excited for this to ship
APEX Gold with all Probes, (bought 2nd hand) ALD unit with 4x flat surface monitors (new)
JBJ Arctica Chiller 1/4HP (in use on current tank)
2 Mp40QD for main flow (1x used, 1x new)
1 Maxspect Gyre 130 for top flow and gas exchange (currently use)
Reef Octopus Varios8 return pump, Jebao DC12000 for manifold/secondary (both new)
Aquatic Life Hybrid lighting using 3 AI Hydra 52s and T5s (ATI Blue+, ATI Purple+,
ATI Coral+, Giesmann Tropic - unsure of my combo yet) (new, 1x Hydra used, 2x currently used)
Reef Octopus Biochurn 150R Biopellet Reactor (currently used)
Kamoer non-wifi 3 pump doser (currently used)
2x Eheim Jager 300W heaters (new)
Tunze ATO (new)
29 G Cube for QT, with MP10, AquaClear 50 Power filter (used, filter new)
OctoAquatics Lid and O'Reily Acclimation Box (new)
Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt
Plan on a Herbie overflow with 1.5" drain and emergency, 2 1" returns

Last edited by Spartanwarrior; 11-28-2017 at 11:30 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 12:18 AM
Reefer Ratings: (57 (100%)
Friends: (19)
vincent naval is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Congrats! Can’t wait to see this tank up and running.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Username Invalid is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Alkalinity monitor…awesome let me know how you like it.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Marine Reefing Biologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent naval View Post
Congrats! Can’t wait to see this tank up and running.
ME TOO! It's taking forever and I'm impatient and I'm sure you know I'm slowly becoming cash poor haha