Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (50 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Abyzz are awesome but pricey, for now I will have to settle with something at reasonable priced DC pump and later down the road I might upgrade the pump to Red Dragon Speedy or Abyzz...
Old 12-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Send a Private Message
Long Island

Hey guys, I know it is slow progress but I am taking time to put things together and make sure that I won't regret it later, I put together my light rack where my light fixtures will be resting on and it will be on rail so that I can move it to left side to work on the tank if I need to do anything like mounting frags etc., it is not very heavy and simple rack and I will be mounting 2" x 2" anodized aluminum angle 1/8" thick that will be screwed on the inside of the rack and lights will be resting on the aluminum angle lip, light rack is 96" long and it came with 4 roller wheels and light rack will be attached to the rollers, still need to figure it out how I am going to do that, But I have little more brain storming to do on that part. Size of the rack is 52" x 84" , I made it little short so 4" on each side it is short. I did mount my room humidity and temperature controller to control the humidity in the room and I will be adding window fan that will exchange air based on the temperature of the room as well. here are some of the pictures of the progress.. getting very close to get this tank wet..
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Send a Private Message
so... I was able to paint the light rack with three coats of white oil based paint,, now I was able to sand it down so takes are the lint off the paint to make it feel and look smooth and sanding helps a lot.. only 1 side which is bottom of the stand is left and I will paint that tonight and then start working on mounting rack for the light and then plan about how to hang light so that I can adjust the height of the rack without having any hard time, if you guys have anything to share on what I can use to hang the rack from sliding rail and able to adjust the height of the rack easily that will be awesome...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Send a Private Message
Gm reefers, I am looking to buy battery backup for my DC pumps ,such as Vectra L1, Ecotech mp60 etc. Which is good quality UPS battery back up that will keep up during power outages and surges...

I have been looking at this unit - is this any good??

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ba...protector&th=1
Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (92 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi197699 View Post
Gm reefers, I am looking to buy battery backup for my DC pumps ,such as Vectra L1, Ecotech mp60 etc. Which is good quality UPS battery back up that will keep up during power outages and surges...

I have been looking at this unit - is this any good??

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Ba...protector&th=1
to power all the things you need powered, probably best to just go with a generator
Old 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM
Send a Private Message
I have 22kw standby generator installed already, but DC pump drivers don't do well when there is surge or shock due to power outage, that is why I want to install UPS battery back up which will keep everything going during power outage and until my generator kicks in which is more or less 60 seconds, I want pumps, apex and all to be working without any interruption..
Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM
Send a Private Message
Hello reefers, I got my APC power backup and surge protector, this unit is 1000VAC and 700w max 8.3 amps, I will be plugging in all my dc pumps in this unit, it has advance control on the front, I will be going to the manual to see what settings I should be using, I was able to add aluminum angles on my light rack, these angles are 2"x 2" x 1/8" thick which is pretty solid for what I am going to use it for, Light rack is wider than the fixtures, I was planning to install my lights staggered, this way I can cover front and back of the tank and won't have dead spots ( in theory). I installed the rack on the ceiling and light will be hanging on the rack with bearing rollers, i will be able to slide the light away from the tank completely, Amazon sent me 2nd rack wrong ( :-( , so waiting for replacements and I will be able to test the rack and i will post some pictures of that as well...

here are the specs from APC - APC has a tower form factor and delivers intelligent and efficient network power protection from entry level to scalable runtime. It can provide 105 minutes of use at 50W, 64 minutes of use at 100W, 34.7 minutes of use at 200W, 22.5 minutes of use at 300W, 16 minutes of use at 400W, 11.9 minutes of use at 500W, and 9.2 minutes of use at 600W.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ravi197699; 12-24-2018 at 08:58 AM..
Old 12-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Send a Private Message
Merry Christmas reefers, Little change in stand, my tank builder suggested that I should add 1 more support under going across, so i did listen to him and added 1 more metal eye beam under going across, this beam is resting on the 4x4 post that was supporting the either side of the stand, It was 400 bucks investment but it;s worth every penny, So i spent some time painting the beam, I could have painted this when it was outside but weather was not on my side so i told the installers to just for it without painting it, I was able to find place to install my titanium heat exchanger, it will be sitting on the right rear corner and it will sit on FRO grates that i bought so i moved couple of rocks and made room for this to sit, it will be under water, this will be connected to my hot water heater and hot water re circulation pump which will be connected to Apex to control the temperature. It should maintain tank temperature and keep it consistent, here are some of the pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM
vio
Reefer Ratings: (77 (99%)
Friends: (62)
Send a Private Message
I can wait to see when water is IN.
Nice job.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Send a Private Message
Getting closer by day Vio, very soon It will be filled with water, Just taking my time to plan things right...