Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Hello R2R again, I got my Reeflo Gold Dart Pump and needle wheel impeller that I bought from Reeflo. I will be sending this impeller to my resource and we will try to make some enhancements on this design, I want to make this slightly bigger and add more needles. we will see how that goes, but there are the pictures of the impeller and pump that I am going to use on my redesigned DIY skimmer...
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Send a Private Message
Long Island

Hello GM MR and happy Monday!, Past weekend I had guest visiting us and I did not have any time to work on anything, I have few important items pending that I have started working since past Saturday, I have put together the skimmer yesterday and pretty much design is done, plumbing for pump, drain, air injection is in place, I have utilized white uni seals for the plumbing and then connection unions for easy disconnect, 1/2 "emergency drain is added on the bottom as well incase if I have to drain the skimmer, I have wired float switch wires for apex breakout boxes, I will be utilizing 2 float switches and 1 float valve for back up redundancy, I will be using 30 gallon blue container as ATO water holder and run the output to the sump which will connect to 1/2" float valve, I need to find cabinet which is 24" deep by 48" wide which will hold frag tank and under frag tank I will hide my ATO container and my RO system. I have drain pipe for my frag tank in place already and I will be using 1 of my manifold output to feed frag tank, I don't have any frags yet but it will be plumbed and ready for frags and light will be mounted on the tank as well. more pictures to come, here are some of the pictures of the skimmer that I have put together..
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Reefer Ratings: (24 (100%)
Friends: (27)
Send a Private Message
Any new updates on this build? This wasan awesome job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
yes updates please
Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 AM
Send a Private Message
hello guys, I have been busy taking care of the stand for my frag tank which will hide my big RO unit, DI filter as well as my ATO container and Booster pump for Ro, I have modified my skimmer which has been working better than I expected, Tank is going through cycle where I have green hair on spots and it is reducing, I have ordered v2 of impeller that I will use my reeflo pump, this needle wheel impeller is bigger and design is little different than v1, pins are thinner and pointier which will help churn water better, we will see how that works, I am done putting together my Co2 regulator, I bought all the parts from surplus and put together nice regulator, I have used parker 1/4" lab grade stainless steel solenoid which is 24v, I have my co2 tank ready to be hooked up, calcium reactor is running without co2 as of right now, I will post pictures that I have been taking for progress soon, getting close to wrapping up with plumbing and frag tank and next project will be setting my quarantine system so that I can start with live stock selection. I got my test kits as well, I have 3 different test kits that I will be using to test water parameters, as of right now I have no clue what my tank parameters are!!, I have Elos, Red Sea Pro and ExactIDip tester, I will be comparing the results and if they are in acceptable ranges and match with each other then I will be using Exact IDip for weekly water testing and other kits will be used as fallback.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 05-30-2019, 05:54 AM
Send a Private Message
What size RO unit is that? Lol

Old 05-30-2019, 07:04 AM
Send a Private Message
1200 GPD at 150 PSI, I know it is oversized but it saves money in long run, don't have to change the filters and DI resin as much, reading out of membrane is 003 and out of DI resin is always 000. I got deal on this unit that I could not pass..
Old 05-30-2019, 07:32 AM
Send a Private Message
Wow. That is a big system

Old 05-30-2019, 09:10 AM
Send a Private Message
it is big system, I filled up the tank in 2 days that includes shutting off system at night, water comes out like it is tap water, my total volume is more or less 1100 gallons..
Old 05-30-2019, 09:04 PM
Send a Private Message
Wanna lend it to me when i fill my system lol.