fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
nope, nothing lost. One of my acan enchinatas are doing so hot but it's making a come back. I gave up my 12" green toadstool before I decided to upgrade the tank. Atlantis has it now so I get to visit it at least.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Was just taking an FTS tonight to show the green bubble I'm trying to trade.

tank108.jpg

Last edited:

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Dont' feel bad. The growth has been pretty slow IMO, I'm not as into it as I used to be.

Last pic I posted that you're comparing to was taken in June 07

I just stick with my weekly water changes and manually dose CA and ALK every morning as the reefdoser kept getting out of whack.

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well! It's over.

I'm away in Florida on Vacation visiting with my parents and I had a buddy stop by the house to check the tank and top off the water in the christmas tree. I get the disturbing phone call tonight that the power was out on the tank. The house had power through the entire storm but somehow the GFI behind the tank popped somewhere between Friday morning and Tonight (sunday). I had him reset the GFI which has never popped before and the pumps came back on, temps down to 60. Cloudy tank, dead fish, dead clam. He's not a reef guy but I'm sure I can fill in the rest with the Corals. I'm guessing Total Loss :(

I've learned a ton through my 5+ years of reefing but I don't think I'm going to rebuild for a while. My wife and I are heartbroken, our "Nemo" that my now wife wanted to get a month into us dating which got me addicted to this hobby was one of the gonners.

I have no idea what to ask for the equipment that I have but please make some offers. You can see pics of the tank and equipment throughout this thread.

EQUIPMENT LIST:

Tank: 36 x 30 x 20 - Acrylic
Sump: 30 x 18 x 18 - Acrylic - 15g fuge
Cabinet: Mable - 36" high
Canopy: 12" high

Circulation
- Sump Return: Panworld 50px (590gph)
- Skimmer Pump: Blueline 55 (1100gph)
- Recirculating: 2x Tunze NanoStream 6055 on a 7095 Controller
- Tunze NanoStream 6045 (standalone)

Skimmer
- MRC MR-2 Single Beckett

Lighting
- Reflectors: 2 xLumenarc Mini
- Lamps: 2 xReeflux 12k 175w Singe Ended MH
- Ballasts: 2 x Coralvue 175w
- Cooling: 4 x Temp Sensitive Smart Fans (4") in canopy

Other Items
- TLF Phosban Reactor
- JBJ ATO
- Reef Keeper 2
- 300w Titanium Heater

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Scott,
First, my heart goes out to you and your wife. I know how hard this tragedy can be :grouphug:

Second, if you would permit me to say, don't make any rash decisions on your equipment disposition. For some reason this reef was taken from you. It by no means, means the love of the reef was taken from your heart. YOU WILL RETURN and buying all that equipment again would cost you another small fortune. As Warren said, store the bulk of the equipment in your garage and wait out the pain. When you're ready to return, the cost of start up will be minimal.......AND, you'll be giving Jim and me a shout to get your livestock going again. Our gift to a great longstanding customer.

Since you haven't even returned to evaluate things, at least say maybe!

Once again Scott, we're very sorry for your loss.
Russ

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Your thread reads like a great life story. My sympathies for your loss, but your work has been an inspiration and I cannot think that this is the end of the story. I would love to read your new thread, or continuation - "Picking up the pieces". I have minor tank issues and feel frustrated so I can imagine how deep your frustration goes. Good thing is you already have your foundation laid (knowledge, planning, etc). I would say don't sell.

nickxx4360

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sorry for the loss dude, It happened to me back in 2006. Lost power in my area for 3 days in the winter. needless to say what happened. I vowed never to return to reefing, sold all my gear. Now i am back in it full force and spending a small fortune again. hold on to the stuff, take a break then come back.

Best of luck
Nick

fluidimagery

There's more to life...
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. The contents of the tank are a total loss. I had another reefing buddy come by the next morning after my post. The only things he saved were an Acan, some Trumpets and some Zoas. My father in law was over helping us shovel and the neighbor mentioned the power had gone out a few times. I was testing the power at the house with logmein on my home desktop. The power was never out long enough for the battery backup on the computer to turn off so my initial guess is that the power went on and off a number of times and eventually the GFI must have popped under the load of equipment turning back on and off. Spoke with my homeowners but of course I'm at a loss since the actual tank itself is fine, contents are not covered. He said that if I need to have professional cleaning services come to get the horrid smell that I hear is in my place then I could file a claim, but I'm hoping the smell of aquarium death doesn't seep into fabrics.

The tank was created originally to fit on a single wall in our townhouse, the only real spot it would look good in. So, when I decide to get back in, I'll be in a new home with hopes of an inwall tank, by then I'm sure technology will change again and something new and better will be out that knowing myself, I'll go out and buy. So I think I'd rather sell what I currently have while it's still worth something. I'll be back, not sure when, but it would be a bigger loss that I spent the 1000s of hours learning about the hobby to just throw it all away.

Thanks again for all the support, it means a lot.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: