Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Two Decade Club
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (64)
MIKE NY is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Paul try and keep them all about the same size because the larger will bully the smaller ones into the rockwork and not allow them to fed. It may also happen with the larger male chasing the females, mine did.

170 gal reef, 90 gal fuge, 65 gal sump,20 gal frag/nano, 250 Radiums on Hamilton M80 HQIs, T5 actinics, MRC-2 Cal reactor, Vertex in280 skimmer, Reeflo return pump
Old 08-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (12 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Paul B is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Mike, thanks, all 4 of those were exactly the same size. Then they all disappeared in a few days.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:26 PM
We are having people on the boat so we went to the market.
We call that market "Angel Eyes". We gave it that name because a few years ago we were shopping there and I was off looking at asparagus, rudabaker, or Oldsmobile fenders and I see this guy talking to my wife.
I sashay over there and he says to me, Is this beautiful Lady with you? I said yes she is. He says: You are a very lucky man because I can tell that she has "Angel eyes, and the eyes are the windows to your soul".
AS I was about to puke he goes on to say that he used to be a male model but now he "porked" up to have a 32" waist.

Like I never used that male model or angel eye line before.
Then I picked up my wife from the floor in the place where she had melted and we went off to buy tomatoes.
You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited by Paul B; 08-09-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Janss Pipefish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rchI...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 PM
I had a blue wrasse that grew too large so I wanted to give him back to the store. I made a small fish hook by heating a small needle and bending it into a hook. I caught him in a few seconds and brought him back.
I wanted a smaller fish so I just told the guy to give me a flasher wrasse. I stupidly didn't look at the wrasse and when I put him in my tank he sunk like a brick. I looked closer and noticed he was covered in Parasites.
Great.
I felt bad for the little guy and since he couldn't swim I was able to catch him and take him out.
I don't keep hospital tanks so I had to empty out my small mangrove tank to put the fish in. I also have a bottle of copper and formalin from the 70s so I put him in there doth a drop of that.
He is in bad shape and I don't expect him to live the night but I was in a hurry and it is totally my fault.

Here is a video of me catching that wrasse with a hook,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCc-...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 AM
That wrasse croaked (as I figured he would) There is a point where no matter what you do, it's too late, kind of like if a fish jumps on the floor and you don't find him for a week or two, it's too late.

No problem, I kind of have too many fish anyway which Is why I needed to remove that wrasse. My Bangai is still kicking and he is much older than his lifespan dictates he should be but he looks great and it took no time for him to learn how to use a walker.
The rest of my fish are doing very good and now I only need to use half the food because that wrasse ate all the larger pieces of clam which my copperband used to fight him for. Now the copperband is smiling from gill to gill even though it is hard to tell because his mouth is pretty far from his gills.

My Janss pipefish eats anything small enough for him to fit in his mouth as they don't chew and don't have any teeth. I can still chew and almost all my teeth are really mine except a few implants that cost more than my tank (and my car)
That flasher wrasse I put in my reef yesterday was covered in parasites which is a good thing as some of them may have fell off and are happily dog paddling around my tank looking for a meal, but they will be disappointed when they find out my fish are immune from them. (so far anyway).
My bluestripe pipefish are also past their lifespan and still spawning so I know they are healthy. The Janss keeps chasing the male and he is getting annoyed as there is not usually fights in my tank as I interrogate the fish before I add them. The Janss lied.

I really need to change some water but I have this really Manly degenerated disk in my back and it is a little painful for me to lift buckets, but I will devise something or just fill the tank with damp saw dust which is lighter.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Reefer Ratings: (44 (100%)
Friends: (16)
Bulldog5 is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Great video Paul. Nice and quick!!
Old 08-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Thanks, that was my 4th attempt because he kept stealing my bait.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM