Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (52 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Did you lock him in the basement till he agreed to take them?

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (94%)
Friends: (34)
Send a Private Message
Hey held me for a bit but then the supermodel showed up and he asked if I could leave ....lolol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
She hates it when I lock people in the basement.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Send a Private Message
OMG something happened that I have not seen in decades. A dead fish inside the tank. I normally find them on the floor. It was the female stripped cardinal.
It was hanging, stuck on a thread from a spaghetti worm. How appropriate as I love spaghetti.

Yesterday she was eating and spawning, or trying to spawn anyway. She constantly spawns and the male never leaves her alone.
I removed her to do an autopsy because she looked very healthy and not hardly old enough to die of old age. The only thing about her was that she was filled with eggs. A little to much I thought.
The autopsy revealed perfectly clear gills, no internal problems, no cuts, bruises or infections but she was egg bound. That is what killed her and for some reason that has happened a few times in my tank. I lost 2 female mandarins that were egg bound.

I don't know if it has to do with the fact that fish in a confined tank are just constantly harassed by males and they can't get away or they spawn to much because of the constant harassment.
I never read anything on why some fish become egg bound in a tank but if the fish can't lay the eggs, they start to rot and expand causing the internal organs to become compressed.

I think thats a flaw in the design of all fish due to the enormous amount of eggs they carry and I assume sometimes they either form more eggs than can fit or one or more eggs die and start to decompose infecting the rest of them.
At least it is interesting and gives me something to research. I will not replace her now because I am moving and will probably lost a lot or everything soon.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Have faith. I moved my tank 4 years ago, and lost nothing. Even my sponges survived by carefully placing live rock in crates ensuring they were submerged in water at all times. I must admit, I will never, ever, ever, ever do that again.....
Old 02-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Send a Private Message
I have faith, I am not sure the real estate who is selling my house has faith so I may be in limbo for a few weeks.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM
Send a Private Message
I am going to take down my worm tank because of the move. I have so many white worms now that I can use them for a while. I will set up the black worms in the new place if I have a reliable source for them. I wil also make another white worm tank as they grow very fast and are easier to take care of at least until I re build my workshop which will probably take a year or two.
I ordered red wood for my new stand. Redwood warps the least out of the lumber except for cedar which is very weak. The legs will be pressure treated 4X4s.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Send a Private Message
New
My wife is great. I see a lot of posts where men have trouble buying things because their wife has other plans, but so far, in 45 or so years, my wife has never said anything about what I spend on the tank or even my collection of Speedo's.

She even bought me many of the fish, pumps, ozonizers and other things and her Mother (rest in peace) bought me the tank. Of course we are moving soon and need to rent a tractor trailer to move her shoes.
Maybe she has a boy friend
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Reefer Ratings: (26 (100%)
Friends: (13)
Send a Private Message
Paul, I’m in the same boat. My wife and I bought enjoy the hobby. She does a little more than I do at times.
If she had her way, we would have a 500 gallon tank in our basement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 06:25 PM
Send a Private Message
Thats a great wife. My wife will sometimes ask me if "that" fish is new. And I will say, "No" it's been in there for 10 years.

The beginnings of my Industrial/Steam Punk King size bed for my new home. It still needs stain, more wheels, a middle, other side, etc. The wall behind the bed will be barn wood from a barn and I am building a barn door in the center. This will be finished like that. I already beat up the wood. I think it will look very cool.
With the mattress on all you will see is 4" of those 4X6 lumber on the sides and ends.
It will look like a giant, industrial dolly with steel wheels.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM