Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
I built an algae scrubber and installed it but I didn't light it yet so it is just pouring water over a screen hanging over the tank. No leaks yet. Well there were some, but I fixed them before I had to order a canoe. I am putting in my barn wood wall today with the barn doors in the center but first I am doing the electrical work. (I know a good electrician.)
I am adding a switch near the bed and 2 steampunk sconces that will be over the barn doors and to the sides. Right now I just have holes in the walls for the wiring.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM
Send a Private Message
I finished my barn wall. I just need to trim the top.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 PM
Send a Private Message
My tank had cleared up quite nicely and I can start adding some more corals. Most of the algae is gone and the rest is dying and I will suck it out. Today I also added a temporary light on the algae scrubber to see if it does anything. I also had a small flood. I have been having a lot of floods lately and I am starting to feel like Noah.

I was putting up some sheetrock next to the tank and the sheetrock hit the fitting that comes out of a 7 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling.
The fitting broke off and the bucket, which was full and started to shoot water all over me and the sheetrock. I had trouble putting down the sheetrock because it was a big piece and I had to wrestle it in the spot to get it there and now water was shooting all over my face so I couldn't see what I was doing. I eventually put down the sheetrock but I was soaked and water continued to pour out of the bucket. I could put my finger on the fitting to stop it but I had nothing to put under it and I didn't want to stay there all night. I let go and ran to get a bucket while the water was shooting out like 3'.
I got the bucket under the hose and collected the rest of the water. Then I got a mop.

The fish are still laughing.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Send a Private Message
Today I had to take my wife to a Neurologist in our old neighborhood so I went to my favorite LFS. I picked up 2 very cool gobies which I have never seen before. (Andy, what are they?) I will take pictures when they come out to the front. I also got a pair of bluestripes. The janss pipefish killed my old male bluestripe and these are babies so I may be taking a chance.
My last female died of old age just after I moved here. They only have a lifespan of five years or so.
My algae issue is almost gone and the tank is crystal clear. I will add more corals when I get back to the store. This tank is bigger so I need more livestock.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Paul here is some info they are called prioleips nocturna or gecko gobies. Here is a good article
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/fish/index.php
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 AM
Send a Private Message
Cool Gecko Gobies. They hide all the time in caves, no wonder I have not seen them yet. My tank is nothing but caves. Thanks. Very cool fish
Old 08-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Send a Private Message
I can see my bluestripe pipefish frolicking around but I have yet to see my new "Gecko Gobies" I read that they live up side down in caves but they are really hiding and may be in a bottle. I know they didn't jump out so I know they are in there some place.
Since I moved I have not hatched brine shrimp or fed live blackworms. I have to drive fairly far to get them but I still have my white worms which I feed a few times a week. I may start hatching shrimp soon but that part of my ManCave/workshop/fishroom is not completed yet.
Tomorrow we are getting the Grand Kids for a few days so I have to find that sunken ship they gave me that opens and closes with bubbles.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Send a Private Message
The hair algae in my tank (from my tank move and all new NSW) is coming off in big clumps so I can easily suck it out. If I had time (I am watching the Grand Kids) I would start my diatom filter and get it all sucked out before it dies and rots all over the place. But I don't see that happening for a few days.
After it is all out I may change some water. "Not" changing water is what is killing the algae. After this phase, the tank will be much better looking and healthier as hair algae is the best water purifier there is. When you remove it, you also remove whatever was making it grow but another benefit is that the algae somehow add beneficial elements to the water (I didn't make that up but I forgot who did) If you keep changing water when you have nuisance algae, it will keep growing. Look at how much water people change to eliminate it and it doesn't work.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Send a Private Message
My tank is looking real sweet now that most of the algae is gone. I can suck it out in huge clumps and it clogs my sink. The corals are at full extension and all the fish are smiling.
I am going to try to list the fish although I am not sure of their names. I think some may be Tom or Harry.
1 copperband
2 blue stripe pipefish
2 anthius
2 bleenies
2 gecko gobies
2 Fierclowns
1 Janss pipefish
1 Some kind of red fish?
1 Some other kind of red fish?
1 Something that may be a type of anthius? (I am not real good at remembering names)
1 Wrasse looking thing.

I need to re plumb my reverse UG filter because there is almost no water going into it. Normally the water that flows over my algae filter goes into it but I didn't finish that yet so the water flows over the algae mesh and goes right back into the tank. I need to remedy that but too many other things to do first with the house.
I am finishing the vinyl tile in my workshop and I need to epoxy the garage floor, build a few more closets, add more outlets in the workshop and garage and build a rock wall in the living room with a fireplace and TV. Need to keep the wife happy.

Yesterday I drove the Grand Kids back 88 miles to the West Village in the City where they live, that was fun.
Of course while they were here, I couldn't do anything productive as I had to play Ninja, Princess, Batman, Little Mermaid, and go to a horse ranch to see miniature horses.

(The Ninja is killing the algae with his scary looks)

The workshop is coming along. My workbench is on the other side.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Send a Private Message
Yesterday we had to go to the old neighborhood to doctors. When you get ancient you go to doctors as much as I used to go to Disco's. (Google it) I need a knee replaced and I just had some finger operations. I wore out my fingers pointing at pretty girls, I mean pointing at interesting fish in stores. I also want to go and buy a rug for my head or maybe get one of those cool comb overs.

My wife has her own issues.

So the LFS didn't have any small interesting fish that I wanted, just the normal, boring stuff like tangs, angels, moray eels Manta rays etc. So I really wanted to come home with something and I got this Moon Wrasse. Thats what they said it was although i think the guy in the canoe who collects these things makes up the names. It was probably a full moon when this thing jumped into his boat.

It started to eat as he was being put into my tank and never hid. He thinks he is an anthius and "schools" with the two I have, but they just think he's weird.
(Hello Andy)

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM