Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Paul, if you are going to collect water on a weekend, I would definitely like to go.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
OK, I will try to make it o a weekend.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Send a Private Message
Even though my tank uses minimal maintenance I realize It does require "some" maintenance. My powerheads were covered in growth, my algae scrubber looks like the produce section of a supermarket and the glass looks like sheet metal. My skimmer is filthy and overflowing a little. I have been trying to do these things but the knee pain with associated sick feeling from the meds is hampering my attempts.
I cleaned the powerheads but not the scrubber. I think I went over my standing up time today and I can't do it sitting down. I can't get the fish to do anything on their own as they are slobs.
My magnet/razor glass cleaner broke and I have to build a new one.
Now I am going to lay down and put my leg up like a Sissy Girly man. But I will have some Cognac for the Manly aspect.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:56 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Even though my tank uses minimal maintenance I realize It does require "some" maintenance. My powerheads were covered in growth, my algae scrubber looks like the produce section of a supermarket and the glass looks like sheet metal. My skimmer is filthy and overflowing a little. I have been trying to do these things but the knee pain with associated sick feeling from the meds is hampering my attempts.
I cleaned the powerheads but not the scrubber. I think I went over my standing up time today and I can't do it sitting down. I can't get the fish to do anything on their own as they are slobs.
My magnet/razor glass cleaner broke and I have to build a new one.
Now I am going to lay down and put my leg up like a Sissy Girly man. But I will have some Cognac for the Manly aspect.
Feel better Paul. you got to teach those fish to clean up after themselves. mine don't listen either.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Send a Private Message
Today I had a little not to painful morning so I did some maintenance. I re-built the skimmer venturi to make finer bubbles and I cleaned the thing. I cleaned the algae scrubber and re-built my magnet/razor glass cleaner. I made it to a store and bought some food and clams and all is well.
All seems well and I will try to collect some water in between the ice bergs soon.

My wife did something embarrassing. She got a text from one of her friends and she responded, "OK Sweetie, see you soon". With a big kiss emoji.
But instead of sending it to her friend, she sent it to a priest.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Send a Private Message
So yesterday we went to see the Kids and Grand Kids in the East Village in Manhattan. I worked in Manhattan for 40 years and would rather have Nancy Pelosi stick me in the eye, twice with a sea urchin, then step on my busted knee with a high heel than go into Manhattan. So I have to stop before I tell you how I really feel about Manhattan.

Anyway we drive to the Jitney, depot and get on the bus. It's about 100 miles to downtown from here and busses are not built for people with new knees. You can't stretch your leg because for some reason they always put a seat in front of you.

An Hour and a half later we get to 44th st and Third Ave. And have to get a Taxi.
It's cold.
We hail a cab and it was a tiny cab with a driver who barely speaks English, but that is a requirement to be a Taxi driver in NY. If you can speak perfect English, they won't give you the job and you would have to run the French Fry cooker at Burger King.

My left knee is new and I can hardly bend it. My wife has MS and can barely bend her right leg. We are trying to get into this cab at the same time and to do this you have to put your butt in and slide all the way over to the other side to get your leg in. While I am trying to do this (carrying a cake, Christmas presents and a pie) My wife is trying to get in on the other side.

I don't know if you know what 44th st and Third Ave in Manhattan looks like but it is not like somewhere in Idaho.
WE have both doors wide open, I slide all the way in and pick up my leg with my hand to get that in. My wife has to slide in and get on my lap so she can get her foot in. (It's OK because we have been married for 45 years) Now we are both in and we have to close the doors with her cane. I have a cane that folds up so you can't pull anything with it or it falls apart. I am holding in my screams because this is very painful as my leg is practically on the drivers shoulder and my wife's leg is almost out the window.

The traffic is horrendous like it always is and it is a 20 minute ride.
WE get to our Daughters house and I have to get out to pay the guy. I slither out onto the street like a snake and my wife got out some how. Now I can't stand because new knees take a while to move. It must be some kind of aluminum problem. I get to straighten up to almost half my height and pay the guy.

Then my wife and I limp into Our Daughters house where there is a long walk to the elevator. We looked like those guys from the Civil War where one is carrying the flag, one has a flute, one has a drum and they have bloody bandanas on.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
The fish etc hopefully realize they are lucky that you are there for them. They are probably staring at your knee, and beaming healing fish powers into it.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Send a Private Message
I think I am healing from all the blackworms I eat.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 AM
Send a Private Message
I have been looking over a few other forums where I wrote that I sometimes add, or used to add garden soil to my tank. I didn't invent that, it was Robert Straughn, The "Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping" and many people are aghast at that (I love that word and wonder where it came from)
Anyway as I was thinking about that I realized that for many years, long before Nancy Pelosi was born the sea has been coming in contact with garden soil. I realize this is very radical thinking but many people have never seen the sea. I personally think they should move but I digress.
The ocean normally contacts a beach which is in almost all cases just sand. It's sand because if it was soil, as many beaches were due to volcanoes, earthquakes and builders who make shopping centers near the shore, the organic material in the soil washed away leaving sand.

But all that soil including what runs off celebrities lawns including Seinfeld and Billy Joel, goes into the sea. Why is it such a foreign concept to see that soil is in the sea and always has been.
I added soil in the beginning for biodiversity. Do I know if any of that biodiversity lives in salt water or reproduces at all, No, I don't, but I still like the concept.

I know the tide pool where I collect things like mud, amphipods, messages in bottles etc. at low tide is almost all fresh water because it gets run off from a lake, but at high tide it is full salt water as the tide here rises 8'. Those amphipods, worms, crabs and I assume bacteria don't seem to mind the change and if I put my ear to the ground I can't hear them screaming when the water turns fresh. Even tiny horseshoe crabs are there by the thousands but I didn't really count them.

I think those small creatures can and do make the transformation to salt water quite easily, maybe not all of them but enough to add bio diversity to a tank. Just my thoughts of course and I could be totally wrong, especially about Mrs. Pelosi.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 AM
Send a Private Message
The water I collected warmed up and the salinity was 0.014 so I could either add some salt or buy some kissing gourami's. I added some salt, a lot of it.
The water is still slightly green even after diatom filtering it for a few hours so I was a little hesitant to add all 40 gallons of it at once. So I chickened out and only added 10 gallons. After a few hours the fish were still breathing and the corals looked fine but I have not gone down stairs yet to see if they are still alive. If they are, I will dump in the rest of the water.

I tested the salinity of my tank water and it wasn't much saltier than the water I collected so I said to myself. Self. OMG.
I immediately started to add some salt. Like a pint an hour but I have a long way to go to bring up the level. It got so low because in my old house the effluent from the skimmer went into a bucket and I used to replace that with salt water. Here the effluent goes right into a drain so I have no idea how much water I am losing. But I must have lost 10 or 15 gallons and the fresh water makes up automatically so I have to work on that so I know how much water is lost. I am surprised I have any corals but I guess it was so gradual that the corals didn't notice.

The sea water here now is so low in salinity because it has been raining non stop for about a month. I am still surprised it is so low being it is really the Atlantic Ocean. I hope the green coloring isn't from land run off or it could be fertilizer. If it is, I may be selling lettuce out of my tank. A few more days should tell.

The sea was also dead low tide which I do not like to collect in, but it is going down to 9 degrees tonight so that was my last chance to collect for a while.
I will collect again soon.
But if the tank crashes, it had a good run.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM