Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Looks like a lantern bass from Carribean
Old 04-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
OK, sounds good to me. For all I know it could be a Halibut.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 AM
Send a Private Message
My Biggest, oldest, coolest coral bit the dust. Or substrate. I don't know why as I didn't play any RAP music and my collection of Nancy Pelosi pictures are not in view of the tank.

I have 3 other corals of the same type that are growing up the walls and reaching into my bathroom. Maybe it just got homesick.

Everything else is doing great and I couldn't be happier. Well, if Christie Brinkley rang my bell and wanted to help me care for my tank, I would probably be happier, but I keep it quite here so I don't miss the bell sound, so far, nothing.

I just made some waffles (yes, of course from scratch,, I don't use Girly Man mixes) and I also made some chopped up, cooked apples with cinnamon, cloves, honey etc to put on them and I am waiting for my wife to get up. (I love to cook)

Anyway I am still looking for more corals and especially gorgonians to put in the tank. I go into all kinds of LFSs with all kinds of money, but no ones got nothing. It is disheartening and I think the hobby is waning, at least here in NY anyway.

I flew over the South Pacific quite a few times and there are so many tiny deserted Islands where I wish someone would start a fish/coral farm. If I were 102 years younger and had all sorts of money, I would look into that. I absolutely love tiny un- inhabited South Pacific Islands anyway.

Yesterday my Viet Nam Buddy and his wife (who I know longer than I know my wife) came over for a visit. I haven't seen him in years. He was a Grunt in Nam and like me has a couple of Bronze Stars, purple heart, PTSD and Agent Orange so we are very much alike, except for the hair of course.
We went to dinner at a really nice place here that gives Veterans half price dinners on Mondays which is really nice, and the food is great. I love it.
My wife and I are very lucky to have so many friends, many from high and even grammar school.

Wow, I was fat then.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
Nice update Paul. I sold a whole bunch to Alfi not too long ago. Maybe he might be willing to part with some..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 06:52 AM
Send a Private Message
Where is he located?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Thatguy96
Reefer Ratings: (89 (100%)
Friends: (35)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Where is he located?
West Chester
Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Send a Private Message
A little to far for me to go for a coral. . If I went that far, I could probably find some at an LFS. But thans for the information anyway.

My wife and I were cleaning out pictures to give to our Daughter and I found one of my Gangsta pictures probably from 15 years ago. My wife was and still is a Supermodel.

On another note, I had a flood. Luckily it was RO water. The bucket that is hanging from my ceiling that gravity feeds my tank sprung a leak. I built an acrylic sight glass into it so I could tell the water level and the thing cracked. I don't know why, it has worked for 20 years. So I had about 15 gallons of water on my Man Cave floor. Not that much of a big deal because I built the place knowing I will probably have leaks at times.

I plugged the hole where the sight glass used to be and made an internal float so that I can see a rod on a float and a tube coming out of the top of the bucket. When the tube hits the ceiling, the thing is full.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Nice picture how did you ever get that supermodel to marry you

I texted you this vendor the other day has a nice selection of Gorgonians and seems pretty reasonable

https://www.kpaquatics.com/
Old 04-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Send a Private Message
I married her when she looked like this. I must have looked like Brad Pitt. I wonder what happened to me!!!! Now I look Like Tom Conway . I hope nothing ever happens to her and I go first, but if not, I will have to go on one of those dating sites like Get a Geezer.com

I looked at that site but I never bought anything on line. I always depended on you to get me stuff.

Last edited by Paul B; 04-10-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Old 04-12-2019, 11:56 AM
Send a Private Message
I went to an LFS yesterday with a pocket full of money, and I got nothing. No one has anything worth buying, it's all the same boring things. Yellow tangs, copperbands, wrasses, but nothing unusual and almost no corals. I have way more corals than this store has. He told me that on Sunday, he is getting a large bunch of fish with a lot of interesting ones. Probably flounders, but I will try to get there on Monday.

I also need a new plastic box to start a new whiteworm culture. I have so many worms that they have to take turns sitting in the existing box and the rest of the time, they crawl around my Man Cave.

I need to get my car inspected next month. (In New York they still bother you with that nonsense once a year) I think it's just a money making thing for the MVD and the place that inspects it. Now, if you fail the inspection, you are not even allowed to take your car home.

So I just pulled off the front wheels and one brake pad is a little thin so I will put brakes on it this afternoon. Installing brakes is simple (if you are not a Girly Man) but getting down near the floor is hard with a semi new knee so I may have to lay on the floor to do this. I already jacked up the car and am waiting for my wife to get back from the gym so I can use her car to buy the brakes.
I will rotate the tires and wax the car while I am at it .
I didn't keep the red ribbon on it.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM