Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Saltwater since 1973
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (53 (100%)
Friends: (84)
Send a Private Message
Hope your wife is feeling better

Jan. 2011 Manhattan Reefs TOTM
800g upgrade-NOW with CORALS and FISH in the TANK!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
Thank you. The MS makes her fall occasionally
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Send a Private Message
If anyone wants this clam coffee table, it is free. I have the glass top which is chipped. Pearl is not real. It is about 17" high.
No, I am not going to ship it. I am in Suffolk Long Island

I also have a de humidifier, also free, it is about 2' high works well, someone just gave me another one.

This is all fish related because the thing is a shell and the de humidifier is for fish tank humidity.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Send a Private Message
Sponges. As I was washing my car yesterday I was thinking about sponges. I added this light blue sponge to my tank maybe 15 years ago and the thing really took off. I feel that is a good thing because for it to grow like that it has to be filtering a lot of gunk out of my water which is probably why it looks like gin. I may have accidently spilled a bottle of gin in there but I am not sure.

The sponge tries to grow over everything but it is very easy to trim with an Xacto knife or razor blade.
I feed my tank a lot of clams and there is a lot of clam juice that comes from that. Corals love clam juice (I think) but I am sure the sponge sucks it all up. Sponges filter about 20,000 times their own weight of seawater every day so I am sure all of my water goes through my sponges every day.

I wrote this about sponges a couple of years ago:
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/?s=sponges

Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Send a Private Message
Table is gone.

I just fed my fish and gave them some white worms. OMG I have a lot of those suckers. They go through a stale, frozen slice of whole grain bread with yogurt on it in a couple of days.

They are totally different than the worm culture I started out with and looks like I mixed in Godzilla DNA but I don't remember doing that.
Of course the fish love them but I also feed all the other LPS little mouths that I could swear smile after they have a bite.
LPS are growing up the walls as are the SPS but I am not sure what they are eating besides clam juice. All is well.

I have been building this fireplace/TV thing in my living room that is coming out very nice. I will post pictures. Tomorrow I hope to get the stone that will be on the hearth. I also am trying to get a non pressure treatd railroad tie for the mantle. I am having a lumber yard cut one for me.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM
Send a Private Message
I have to change the exhaust manifolds on my boat and it is breaking my heart that I will not be able to do it myself. I really have never hired anyone for anything especially something like my car or boat but there comes a time when this stuff is just to heavy. I have changed them on my last two boats but I was a lot younger then. The manifolds are the 4 big iron things, one on each side of the engine with the worm gear clamps on the far end.
This boat has two engines and there is very little room to work. They weigh maybe 25lbs each and you have to be able to twist yourself in there to lift them out, then align them up to get them back in. It is not a complicated job but it is a heavy one. You are supposed to change them (in salt water) maybe every 5 or 6 years and I have this boat 12 years and never changed them. They could be 15 or even 20 years old.

If they allow seawater to leak into the cylinders you could break a connecting rod or crack the block, two reasons to junk the boat. I don't trust anyone's work and I just like doing this type of work.

But age and strength just won't allow me to do it again. Getting old stinks but it is better than the alternative (I think)
It's the end of an era when I can't repair my own boat.
They are also not real cheap. To do it myself would cost about $1,500.00 and to have them to do it is almost tipple that. And I wanted to buy a clown gobi.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Thanks for helping with my decision to buy a boat!! Sounds great on paper, but wow. I suspect with an outboard engine this would be less of an issue?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:37 PM
Send a Private Message
You don't have to change the manifolds on an outboard but they have their own problems and issues. Now the outboards are almost all 4 cycle just like your car and just as complicated but much more expensive.

My last 140 horse outboard "blew up" while I was out, that was a 2 cycle but the top of the cylinder blew off. We were out with friends and I heard this noise and the engine stopped. I opened up the engine cover and a bunch of parts fell into the water. The piston came through the side of the block knocking the starter off the engine. I had a pliers and maybe some tape. My wife asked if I could fix it.

4 Months and $3,000.00 later with a new powerhead (basically a new engine) I fixed it.
The manufacturer said it was a manufacturers defect which is why the parts were so "Cheap".

If you are not a mechanic, I would not get a boat as they always break and they were designed by a Jiboni.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Send a Private Message
So last night we took our Grand Daughter Greta to the beach behind out house to launch these hot air balloons. They are these 3' paper bags with a wax fire in them. We got on the beach with the Jeep as the sand is very deep and soft. The thing went fine going in.
After we lit and flew the fire things (and they go for miles and so high you can barely see them) we got in the Jeep to go home.

The thing wouldn't let me put it in 4 wheel drive. It didn't light up or anything but the Jeep kept going. Then the "Check Engine" light came on. Then something was flashing that said
"Torque Steering something" needs service" Then the "Air Bag, not working" light came on. I felt like I was driving a Christmas tree.

It didn't seem to effect the drivability or 4 wheel drive capabilities but when I got home I checked into it. I found out I have this "Trail Hawk Trail Rated" model which is the Super, Duper Jeep with the drivetrain that allows you to drive under the Pacific Ocean or on craters on the Moon. I think that may impress some CPA. I also found out it was built in Italy, which didn't make me happy at all.
I have a Test module you plug in to tell you what is wrong, but there is something wrong with my test module that tells you whats wrong. It didn't give me any codes to tell me whats wrong. It's either a module or a software problem because when they invented computers and put them in cars, they invented all these silly problems.

My old Willy's Jeep didn't have any of these issues because it was a 1960 Willy's and the thing was built to just work. No issues, no breaking, no modules, just steel parts.
When you wanted to put it in 4 wheel drive you pushed this big steel lever, it made a big noise and then you could drive through a house and not even dent the thing.

Now they have these silly, plastic, electronic modules that allow the vehicle to do all sorts of things that used to be done with iron and steel. The new electronic assisted vehicles do not run any better, there 4 wheel drive is no better, they are certainly not cheaper or more reliable. What they are is disposable because you need to be Houdini and Einstein to fix them. I could fix anything on my Willy's with a hammer and maybe a torch.

I went to the Jeep dealer and they said they have to check it out to see if it is under warranty even though Jeep Corporate headquarters told me it is.
If it is not, I will just have to fix it myself or take it to some Jiboni with a drawer full of modules and software programs.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Send a Private Message
I also have this for the wife.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM