Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Got Reef?
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
You are screwed Paul. Say good bye.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 07-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
They are most likely killies as they are the most common fish here. And if they are they get too big for my tank so it is going to be a problem catching them. But that is what makes this hobby fun. If there was nothing to do I would take up a hobby like trying to guess the cell phone numbers of Supermodels.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Send a Private Message
I was looking for Patriotic songs to play today at our Fourth of July party with the neighbors in front of my house and I came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msYPbjFC50w

It is not really a Fourth of July song but I keep watching it and I can't stop crying. Mostly Veterans will get this. Millennials may not get it as much. But I hope they do.
Happy Fourth of July and Happy Birthday America.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Send a Private Message
We had a great Fourth. And I hope everyone else did also. (you too Andy) We had a big party in our driveway and invited all the neighbors.

I did my "fireworks" that I make every year myself out of steel wool.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:25 AM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Ok, just how do you make those. That's just too cool.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Send a Private Message
Steel wool on a string. Very technical.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:23 PM
Send a Private Message
My wife is always nagging me to trim my eyebrows. When you get to a certain age, I guess gravity prevents your hair from growing on the top of your head. It can't quite make it there so it grows out of your nose, ears and your eyebrows. So I have this thing that I use to buzz my hair (it doesn't have to work very hard) and there is an attachment for leaving the hair longer. I was to lazy to change the attachment on it so I used it on my eyebrow.
Big mistake. It's a good thing I only trimmed half of one eyebrow because I buzzed it right off and now I could audition for the Twilight Zone as I look like a big Jiboni.

Anyway, that reminds me of a story.
I used to work with a guy named Mike. Wait a minute, that's his real name so I will call him Guy to protect his identity.
He looked just like this old time comedian named Jerry Colona.

I mean exactly like him. So I told him and he said he never heard of him.
The next day he comes in with a picture of Jerry Colona with his arm around his "Mother".

He said, what a coincidence, my Mother told me she was "good" friends with Jerry Colona.

I said, And you brought in a picture to show me! He said, yeah, whats wrong.
I said oh Nothing.

You can't make this stuff up, but he doesn't look anything like his "Father". Just saying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_...a_(entertainer)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 AM
Send a Private Message
I am almost finished building this Fireplace/TV steel plate wall. I just need to get the hearth stone up here. I need to carry it or hoist it about 12'
Unfortunately me and most of my friends are Geezers and we can't carry the thing.
I may try to hoist it up which will be a little dangerous because like most structures today my front deck is made of plastic as is the floor which I think is recycled bottles of prune juice.

I estimate the slab to be about 350lbs which 2 people can handle, but it is 9' long and the stairway has a 180 degree turn where the thing needs to stand straight up. Not something a couple of 70 year olds can do safely. We can, but the hospital is about 2 miles away.

10 or 15 years ago I could easily do it as I specialized in moving very heavy objects up to ridiculous heights like a 37,000lb generator up 200'.
The hearth stone goes on the bottom of this and will be opened and closed with hydrallics.
So if any one reading this is a Moose catcher and can carry something heavy. Call me. I have Beer. (not you Andy, you are a Moose Catcher but I need a strong one. )
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Send a Private Message
I acquired this Steamer trunk from the 1890s (about the same year I was born) ans I am restoring it. I completely took it apart and it has over 400 nails in it. The nails are to long and in these trunks they hammered in the nails with a steel weight on the other side so the nails would get bent inside the wood. It is very strong in spite of the thin pine it is built out of.
I ordered new canvas from the period as well as the handles but I will use all the existing steel, and there is a lot of it.

I will also line the inside with cedar but I am not sure what my wife wants to put in there. Probably me.
These trunks held everything people owned when they came here from Europe and were quite common.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Send a Private Message
I just got back from bike riding and have to say, the roads here in farm/sea/ wine country are loaded with wildlife. About a mile or less away we have a horse rescue farm that takes horses that were either abused or are sick or near the end of their life and allows them to live out their days in relative "Horse Paradise". As I approach them the first thing you smell is "wet horse". I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens and didn't get much of that aroma.
There is also a Miniature rescue horse farm where the horses were either pets or in petting zoos.
We also have a Buffalo "ranch". No, really, this guy keeps a few hundred head of buffalo, the rest of the buffalo are attached to the heads.
http://eastridinginc.com/Buffalo.aspx

There is a some kind of farm I pass right near my house and the amount of life in there boggles my mind and there isn't a lot of space to boggle. We have deer up the Kazoo, all the way up. Birds, forgetaboutit. Bluejays, red wing blackbirds, ospreys, swans, geese, egrets, Quail, ducks, chickens, turkeys (which are as big as Emu's) Humming birds and birds that know the words, Cardinals and I think I saw a Pope.

Rabbits are like, well, rabbits, foxes (no, I am not talking about the Lady's, they don't get up at that time).
And bugs, I have never seen this many types of bugs since I was in Viet Nam. Of course in Viet Nam the bugs were bigger and would carry you home to feed their nephews.

I know a lot of people on here live in farm country and this is normal to you. It is relatively new to me.

On the way to my Grand Daughters we encountered this little Fella walking across the road.

I love turtles and stopped to make sure he wouldn't become turtle sushi. He wasn't walking fast enough for me so I helped him across the street.
I have been encountering a lot of turtles lately and some people here call me "Turtle Man" which I kind of like.

I am taking out the "Girls" today for Girls Night out and have to get to the boat to make sure it is in great shape and light all the girly smelling candles.
Still cleaning up from the Fourth of July, but almost done.
My Main Squeeze looks good.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/42316-tank-reached-38-years-old-2009-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Forum Krzysia - Index This thread Refback 10-07-2014 07:44 PM
How many years can a tank last? This thread Refback 09-26-2012 11:52 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Community This thread Refback 04-25-2011 09:08 AM
Paul Baldassano’s 40 year old Reef tankMajano Wand This thread Pingback 04-13-2011 12:35 AM
Manhattan Reefs - Aquarium Fish Longevity This thread Refback 04-12-2011 07:25 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 01-15-2010 02:16 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:54 PM
How many years can a tank last? - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards This thread Refback 03-06-2009 10:44 PM
Manhattan Reefs This thread Refback 01-31-2009 08:16 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-13-2008 01:46 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 09:00 PM
nice fish! - CVR Forums! This thread Refback 06-12-2008 05:46 PM