oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank to enter Nano Cube 6 contest in http://www.nano-reef.com. Its been 3 months so far, and I think I am pretty much done stocking. Here are some pics of how I modified my tank.

I decided to have sump for my nano cube, so I searched for someone to drill my tank in NJ area, and no one would touch it due to fact that 6 gallon tank is just to risky to drill. So I broke out my trusty dremel!

hole01.jpg

hole02.jpg

hole03.jpg

I know I know, its not perfectly circular but, bulkhead fits great and rubber ring seals it!

Here is shot with 3/4" bulkhead installed.

hole04.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this will be SPS tank, I needed to have plenty of flow. Here are some pics of plumbing I have done.

I decided to go with SCWD.

plumb01.jpg

plumb02.jpg

plumb03.jpg

plumb04.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I recieved NC6, I started gutting the hood. After its been absolutley stripped, I tried to fit my 70W MH retro kit from aquabuys.com. I found out that reflector is little too thick for the hood.
So I was thiking if I should make my own reflector then I saw my old finnex 18W PC fixture in the corner of my closet. So I thought, what the hell, lets make more room in the hood rather then cram it with MH which in turn could give me heat issues. So this is what I did!

hood02.jpg

Here is shot of under the hood.

hood01.jpg

Here shot of "bondo" automotive body filler applied to the hood. Yes, it does look all beat up now!

hood03.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is shot of the Nano Cube hood sanded down and spray painted.

hood07.jpg

Another shot.

hood08.jpg

Shot of hood installed on the tank.

hood09.jpg

Another shot.

hood10.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fans, I decided to use LED fan so that it can also function as moonlight!

Here is shot with fans installed.

hood12.jpg

Shot of moonlight effect only using led fans.

hood13.jpg

Shot of underneath the hood!

hood14.jpg

Here is shot of Metal Halide on.

hood15.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot of sump and my return pump. My return pump is Blueliune 20 HD @ 480 GPH.

sump03.jpg

sump04.jpg

Here is current shot of my sump area. Its MESSY! It basically has, Aquameduc 150 Thermoelectric chiller, AquaC Remora Skimmer, PH controller, and auto top off.

sump09.jpg

I am also using Aquatronica as my aquarium controller.

aqautronica01.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some shots of SPS I have. Sorry for not so good pictures.

Blue Hoek
acro02.jpg

Cream/Salmon colored Prostrata
acro03.jpg

Unknown SPS
acro05.jpg

Tiny frag of Tropical Paradise Bali Monster
acro10.jpg

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag of Blue Tort
acro11.jpg

HOT pink prostrata
acro12.jpg

Yellow tipped rose milli
acro13.jpg

Royal blue acro with green tip. Color are little faded on this one after fragging.
acro14.jpg

Thanks for looking!

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
O so your the guy who posted on the smallish SPS tank in RC...Sick dude absolutely overdone overkill overspent overmodded.......

Just like I like it!

Beautiful hows the consumption on that lil guy? Coloration?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Gotta say man. That is one cool nano. I really like the job you pulled on the hood with the bondo. The finished product looks amazing. Very trick cube indeed. Good luck on the competition man. You cant be too far from winning this thing with a setup like that. Hmmm, do I feel a little envy creeping through me. Must be that controller you emply. Good Job man!! :bigeyes2:

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Cool? Carzy, yes.. I agree with DRZL.. I can't imagine what if you were gonna start a 120 gal tank.. It would be awesome... Great work and skills in setting the nano up. Also good selection of sps you have there.. I think we just have to wait and see when things setting down and start growing..

oogie

Nano Reefer!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hermangareis: Thanks for your kind words!! And yes, I love my controller!!!

DRZL: Thanks! It is bit over done but.. I like it that way too! So far coloration is good! Thanks

ctxmonitor: Thanks. Yeah I am now going to sit back and wait for everything to grow! Thanks!

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
looks like the real dal =D looking good! i gotta redo my scwd hehe, but damn that's some serious hardware man.

i also have been following the thread off NR nano cube contest.

i have to ask is it barb between scwd and the unions? where the vinyl wraps around.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
awesome job on the hood, that looks great.
is it against the rules for the contest to have a larger sump?
that's the only thing I would have changed. But I guess if you have a
6 gallon tank and a 40 gallon sump it's not really a nano anymore :rolleyes:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: