jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hey guys, starting up a 5.5 gallon nano at work. Took some pics, but I'm still at work, I will upload them tonight. So far its just sand in there. I didnt even put water in it yet. I am going to bring a gallon a day from my tank at home so I dont have to go through a cycle. I have a few questions, maybe someone can help:

1. Do you think the coral life aqualight 18 watt fixture will be sufficient enough to keep shrooms, zoos and maybe some lps corals?

2. Can I put 2 perculas in the nano. If not, which fish would you guys suggest?

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jawwad2004 said:
1. Do you think the coral life aqualight 18 watt fixture will be sufficient enough to keep shrooms, zoos and maybe some lps corals?

That fixture will do fine for shrooms and zoos. The LPS I'm not so sure about.

jawwad2004 said:
If not, which fish would you guys suggest?

A pistol shrimp and shrimp goby would be very entertaining in a tank that size by themselves.

Here are some alternative choices: Nano Fish

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
A mantis shrimp is a great addition to a nano. Keep in mind, it'll be the ONLY addition.

In my opinion, it's like keeping a hungry shark...all it'll do is wait for food. It may clean up its tunnel now and then, but otherwise it will sit and wait.

The interaction between shrimp and goby is as interesting to some as a clown and anemone. Symbiosis is such a wonderful aquarium trait to watch.

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Deanos said:
A mantis shrimp is a great addition to a nano. Keep in mind, it'll be the ONLY addition.

In my opinion, it's like keeping a hungry shark...all it'll do is wait for food. It may clean up its tunnel now and then, but otherwise it will sit and wait.

The interaction between shrimp and goby is as interesting to some as a clown and anemone. Symbiosis is such a wonderful aquarium trait to watch.
I never heard about this shrimp and goby relationship, please elaborate. . .

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
A nice watchman goby with a tiger pistol combo would be great. With a little sand and a little chunk of rock you'll be entertained for hours. Throw a nasarius snail in and see if the goby will play fetch with it and the shrimp. One of the regs at my LFS has that. Goby brings the snail to the shrimp, Shrimp moves it out of the hole and snail tries to run but goby brings it back again. It's a comedy routine. He videotaped it and showed it at the shop. We all were ROFL.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: