amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Started it 9/26/09.

It is a 29 gallon with a 3 gallon hang on back refugium w/ protein skimmer.
other equipment:
regular hang on back w/carbon filter
9v UV sterilizer
Aqua clear power head
Heater
Thermometer
Basic light W/ 2 blue LED moon lights.(I am looking for a better one if anyone has a 24" or 30" 50/50 or better type of light that there trying to sell let me know. Also put a WTB ad in the classifieds)

Live stock:
Blue Green Chromis
Yellow Tang
Lawnmower Blenny
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Sally Light Foot crab
Serpant Star
Blue Leg Hermits
Snails

Corals:
Red and Green Zoa's
Pom Pom Xenia
Kenya Tree
Star Polyp

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpg
    IMG_1261.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1211.jpg
    IMG_1211.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 151

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Welcome to MR! :)

A 29g tank is a great choice! There are some very nice tanks of that size kept by our members.

Not to start off on a negative note (but I unfortunately will..) you might want to revisit your choice of the yellow tang for this tank, they require a much larger tank to thrive in (minimum 75g). Any chance you can return him or sell him so he has a better chance of a long healthy life?

I do like your aquascaping and with the right choices of critters and fish, you can have a very successful tank!
Do you plan on adding any additional rock down the line?

One more thing - the Lawnmower blenny will not live long unless you get a veggie clip and keep a supply of spirulina in the tank (and he eats it) They exist on algae and you don't have near enough algae to keep him. They do better in an established tank, and one of a larger size.

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hello and welcome. Was going to point out the same thing that Kathy pointed out. Nice set up with the refugium I really like that.

- Def. please sell the tang although he is very small.....he'll outgrow that VERY soon. I usually am not the tang police and am pretty reasonable but just giving you a heads up.
- Get Chaetomorpha algae in your refugium.
- Not sure what you are running in the canister but if there's a sponge or something make sure to clean it because it clogs and holds a lot of detritus
- Not sure which Aquaclear you have but look into buying a Koralia 1 or if you got the bread the Vortech MP10. It'll work out much better for you. Better oxygenation and your fish/corals will be happier
- Look into at least 10-15 lbs more rock.

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
thanks for the input, yes i am trying to deal with the tang if i don't upgrade than soon i will give him away if i cant sell him before it becomes an issue. Ill admit being a noob i kinda jumped into it.
and yes i am also planning on adding more live rock but not that much more maybe 10lbs i like having it pretty open.

anthony27- i heard about that, is it people selling frags or only vendors/stores? has it been a good event in the past?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
The fragswap is combination of things. Mainly it's a good environment for us to learn/get good deals/and meet the faces behind the user names and fish avatars lol.

Because you are new my advice is SLOW DOWN. Also... don't be an impulsive buyer (like myself). I have been through 8 tanks and I have been in the hobby for like a year and a half. I got addicted and did crazy field research in Marine Biology too haha.

amatta1989

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ill rsvp this weekend it sounds cool, maybe ill slow down a little and save up some $ to spend there haha.

1 Chromis not enough, get like 10 chromis in that tank, SERIOUSLY, school them that would be awesome

theres 3 right now 1 likes to hide, and one they beat up pretty badly and died, i plan on getting more expect right now the only ones at the store are pretty much full grown and will most likley beat up these. they seem not to do that well together in smaller schools so i dont know how many i should get or to even get them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: