Stand Build
StandBuildPic3.jpg

Added Draws
StandBuildPic4.jpg

Side View
StandBuildPic1.jpg

Primer & Sealer for inside
StandBuildPic5.jpg

Completed Sealing and added Polyurathane High Gloss white to reflect light, Also Sealed Edges With Waterproof Caulking.
StandBuildPic8.jpg

Added Eggcrate to prevent shifting of rocks later on.
StandBuildPic9.jpg

side View
StandBuildPic10.jpg

The best part.... plumbing !
StandBuildPic11.jpg

Completed the plumbing !!
StandBuildPic12b.jpg

Almost Finished, just need to add the draws.
Completed.jpg

This weekend I will add 120lbs of Carib Sea White Sand. Have the RODI bins filling up. 160Gal Reef Crystals Bucket. Will add the 120lbs of LR from the 55Gal to the 120Gal and add the sump. Will need to purchase about 80lbs more of LR. Also rewired a 48" 772Watt Light Odessey Light Fixture bought from a fellow MR Reefer.. OchoLoco.
Odessey Light Ballasts.(No wonder they get so hot and cause fires!!!)
LightPic1.jpg

Rewiring with 2 Coralife 65Watt Ballast.
LightPic2.jpg

Testing... It Worked and I didnt Blow Up!!!
LightPic3.jpg

Put Together
LightPic4.jpg

Have it now on the 55Gal untill I finish the 120. 55Gal Pic
LightPic6.jpg

Last edited:

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hmmm.... 1,163lbs with only saltwater, plus another 200lbs LR and another 120lbs LS = 1,483lbs not including sump weight. Yeah you guys may be correct in this. Thanks for input guys.

Well spoke to my boss today at the kitchen and cabinet store who helped me with the design & structure of the stand and he stated the stand can hold the weight with no problem aslong as I do not remove the center brace. He also reminded me that we used 3/4" solid maple wood, not compressed wood. He's been in business for over 32+yrs, licensed and has a degree. So I trust the design and integrity of the stand as well as his and my own judgement

Last edited:

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Well after carefull consideration and thought... I took everyone's advise and decided to just buy a new stand. Thanks NYFYNEST for the deal on the stand. Worked out perfectly. Made a few adjustments like doing away with the unions and ball valves so the sump could fit underneath. And the transfer went smoothly.
pic1moving.jpg

Who said you can't move a filled up 55 Gallon Tank from one side to the other.

pic2moving.jpg

Empty Space for the 120

pic3moving.jpg

120 in place now... then decided to switch stands.

pic5moving.jpg

Looks better... but had to do some modifications to the piping.

pic4moving.jpg

Sump Pic as you can see.

30Gal36.jpg

DIY Sump

pic6moving.jpg

The finished product....

pic8moving.jpg

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Looks really nice Noel!

What happened with the other stand? Didn't you use furniture grade 3/4" wood? Didn't your boss guarantee that it would hold?
Have you taken a GOOD look at the aga stand vs the one you made, and compared them side by side? My personal opinion is that AGA stands are not all that well made.
As a cabinet maker I believe you are aware of the weight the kitchen & bath cabinets are made to support. Granite slabs come to mind just about now.;)
I would have checked with jhale as well as bueller if I was still worried.:) Hope you didn't pitch it in the garbage.;)

nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
noel looks great man, def glad you bought that stand, that other one looked scary man def would not of trusted it. other then that WOW love the rock work, excellent setup, looks damn good! ill be posting soon my 220 should be up and running in 2 weeks or so.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hell no000 Awibrandy... Still have the stand... I decided along with some others that I would use the homemade stand for my frag tank setup. Came to be that the stand was too high(You can tell in the pic), @ 38inches and with the 120 @ 24 3/4 inches high, made it almost as tall as me. It almost reached the ceiling and that didnt include the light fixture. (Low Basement Ceilings@ 75inches) Doing a water change or trying to add anything from on top would of made it hard for me. I'm a short !*@$! I needed a ladder just to put my arm in LOL!!
Yes the 3/4 is excellent compared to the AGA pine and would have def supported the weight, but that's what happenes when you don't calculate everything including yourself!!!! Trial & Error...

Yo Yo Dee nyfynest22.... Thanks Bro. Yeah man can't wait to see what you got stored for that 220!! I'm hyped because of that elegance you brought to GC Fish & Reef. So I can imagine what you got lined up. BTW I'm waiting on 2 more confirmations for Sat.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: