Status
Not open for further replies.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Is this really what this forum has come down to, repeatedly bashing other members. Hey we've all made mistakes in this hobby and we all learn from them. Ive been in the fish business for 10 years and trust me ive seen some stupid sh*t but this is not, by far, the stupidest thing ive heard. Maybe the mandarin will live maybe it wont, its no different from buying a rare fish or coral you live and you learn. And Beerfish knowing latin names doesnt mean you know your stuff, im not calling you out but i think you shouldve taken a different tone at the beginning of this instead imparting your "wisdom" on this situation.

Sounds like a typical store owner to me. This board is about teaching people the right way of doing things, and learning from people past mistakes. It's really stupid that people should make the same mistakes that others have in the past, especially when the knowledge is out there. To think otherwise shows you have no respect for living things or the hobby.

At this point hydrozz doesn't care about anything that is posted in this thread, it's all a joke to him now, probably has been for quite sometime, but what this thread does do is put out info to other people who may want to do the same thing. Some times info is sharing in a civil manor, other times it takes a fight to get info out. Bottom line, there is a lot of good info in this thread and hopefully some people will see it and think before doing something.

acrocrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just to let you know im no longer a store owner so dont try pulling that card out. Second the knowledge is out their and some people dont learn unless they try new things thats how this hobby progresses. Trial and error are what have gotten us to this point in the hobby and you cant disagree with that. Im not saying that he is correct in his decision to purchase that fish and im not saying hes wrong its not my place to judge and its no one elses either

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Hydro , I have some facts for you from my own experiences. I have a green Mandarin, it is in a 10 gallon tank alone with corals and live rock. It has been in there for over 3 years now. The 10 is actually on the small side for him and it will be going into my 65 in a few months. I also know the fastest I have ever had a tank go through the Nitrogen cycle is 2 weeks. Never seen it go faster, although I have seen it go slower. So what some people say are the normal cycles of 4-6 weeks they are correct those are the averages. But some take 2 weeks others 8 weeks. Depends on how much knowledge you have on it. Those books the BEERFISH is talking about are just the general rule of thumb, and are the guidelines for people starting out and assuring nothing will go wrong with the cycle. People on here say all the time you can't add to many fish at once. What's the difference between 1 large fish and 3-4 small fish? Not much. By the way HYDRO, how do you think the hobby got this far? by people doing experiments and trying out different things. Those companies that make lights, salt and any other crap that goes into your tank ran it all on experimental tanks first before they sold it to the public. And im pretty sure they didn't get it right the first time everytime. Just look at the whole Garlic experiments 6 years ago, they were wiping out 100 gallon tanks with one drop.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just to let you know im no longer a store owner so dont try pulling that card out. Second the knowledge is out their and some people dont learn unless they try new things thats how this hobby progresses. Trial and error are what have gotten us to this point in the hobby and you cant disagree with that. Im not saying that he is correct in his decision to purchase that fish and im not saying hes wrong its not my place to judge and its no one elses either

You mayn't be a store owner anymore but your post was what a typical store would say, and that you can't deny. Unfortunately learning by killing things over and over again is not a good practice nor is it the way this hobby has progresses, nor how it should in the future, especially with the info that is out there and the easy to get it. You'll find more people leave this hobby from buying things that die, especially newbies.

As for judging people and what they do, well that's what this places and other boards are for. It's to put out information to people that maybe doing something wrong. If people are going to just sit on their hands every time someone does something that isn't right then we may as well get rid of the reply function on peoples posts.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I really can't believe the garbage I'm reading in this thread.

First of all, I wasn't bashing anyone when this started. I said that he should get rid of the mandarin and do some research. When he argued that he knew what he was doing, I pointed out the fact that he didn't know it was a mandarin in the first place.

I'm NOT sorry if my "tone" offended anyone. This is a forum. If you're posting here, you're opening yourself up to comments. If you can't take it, don't post anything.

I will continue to correct information that is misleading, or blatantly incorrect, as it's not right for new reefers to read this garbage and think it's ok. I don't really care who I offend in the process. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post, or expect to be corrected.

As for the original situation, even if we assume that a tank can cycle in three days (which is unheard of), it's far from an established tank, which is required for these animals. This is not an experiment, not an experienced reefer trying something new, it's a foolhardy mission to kill a fish.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
i really can't believe the garbage i'm reading in this thread.

First of all, i wasn't bashing anyone when this started. I said that he should get rid of the mandarin and do some research. When he argued that he knew what he was doing, i pointed out the fact that he didn't know it was a mandarin in the first place.

I'm not sorry if my "tone" offended anyone. This is a forum. If you're posting here, you're opening yourself up to comments. If you can't take it, don't post anything.

I will continue to correct information that is misleading, or blatantly incorrect, as it's not right for new reefers to read this garbage and think it's ok. I don't really care who i offend in the process. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post, or expect to be corrected.

As for the original situation, even if we assume that a tank can cycle in three days (which is unheard of), it's far from an established tank, which is required for these animals. this is not an experiment, not an experienced reefer trying something new, it's a foolhardy mission to kill a fish.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: