coralcruze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.4%
228   11   0
yea i figured that would be a problem. cause in theory it would only be skimming less then half of the water that goes by

I'm not sure that it would actually be a "problem"... just that it's not as efficient as it could be. which means that it will take more passes of your tank water to make it into the protien skimmer compartment. unless you plan on doing very heavey feeding, that won't be a problem. If however, you are like me and want a super efficient system where every killowatt/hr is used in an efficient and effective way, well that too is achievable through a well though out and executed design. I would say you are on your way. Trust me on the durso issues I've mentioned. In my 15 years in the hobby I have seen and used just about every drainage system out there and a full siphon system is by far the best. However, just like anything else in life, to each his own. sometimes folks just have to go through the motions for themselves. I've already been through the floods, the toilet flush sounds and the constant irritation of adjusting the water level on my durso's where seeking an alterative was/is the only solution. besides you saw my system and seen my stockman standpipes at full siphon. They are completly silent and keep the water level in the trays consistant. super importany in my case because of the frag trays and gurgleing which would kill the soothing sound of the waterfalls.

Last edited:

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
...I'm not sure that it would actually be a "problem"...

Coralcruze,

Agreed. I ended up doing a mod to make sure "all water" from sump goes to skimmer. Really did not notice a skimmer improvement, with the exception of a noise sound, where I hear larger pieces of food and debri moving around skimmer.

So I do "hear a difference" but do not "see" a difference. I am guessing it is better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: